• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burning in

thornclaw

At the risk of sounding dense, just what in the heck are these oscilloscope traces supposed to be proving to us?

dont feel bad
i wasnt even sure that was an oscilloscope
all i can say is the two tracings looked different
are we sure the revel speaker wasnt burned in at factory? also the two tracings are slightly different looking

Beave

Major Contributor
So you shared something that you don't understand in an effort to prove that burning in is real?

JSmith

Master Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
dont feel bad
i wasnt even sure that was an oscilloscope
all i can say is the two tracings looked different
are we sure the revel speaker wasnt burned in at factory? also the two tracings are slightly different looking
I don't feel bad at all, but as a manufacturer I'd sure like to be educated on knowing a predictable change which electronic parts undergo after 'burning-in'. It sure makes me nervous thinking a design is 'changing' in some unpredictable ways once the end customer uses the product for a couple weeks. Might get worse. Might get better. But it has to undergo some change, right?

Or maybe burning in is just a myth. ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
The 2 scope shots are not a test. They don't show any measurable capacitor behavior. A cap bridge is one way to do it. Just like that Crocodile Dundee clip where he says "That is not a knife. This is a knife!"

egellings

Major Contributor
Has anyone done a full suite of measurements of an amp right out of the box, and then again after a month or so of normal use, and compared?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Has anyone done a full suite of measurements of an amp right out of the box, and then again after a month or so of normal use, and compared?
We do that kind of thing all the time, not as an intentional 'burn-in' test in the context of this thread, but in testing new production against production samples from earlier in the production run which have had a lot of use in the listening room. We also burn-in new designs and they have the heck tested out of them from when newly assembled to throughout extended burn-in 24/7 over weeks or months. I have never seen any change in AP measurements from values stored from the past. The whole point is to design stable, reliable amplifiers which are not subject to changes over time.

I personally have run a new design at 1/3rd power continuously over the course of several weeks, letting the amp reach 85 degrees C, entering automatic thermal protection, cooling down and resuming operation, then repeating the whole cycle over and over again. Even then, there has been no measurable differences before and after this literal torture test.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or maybe burning in is just a myth. ;)

I have followed the burn-in "debate" from the very beginning, in a car-crash rubbernecking kind of way, and these are my impressions:

It wasn't generated by manufacturers or the press. It was invented solely by a certain type of customer, and manufacturers and the press were somewhat late to the party.

It's a deep psychological need among that certain type of customer. Ownership isn't enough, because anyone can plunk down a credit card. Hence a performative ritual was necessary, to stake a meaningful claim, and to demonstrate superior knowledge and discrimination. The ritual involved time, effort, precision and concern. It "earned" status through work.

A parallel can be seen in investment ads. The brokers don't say, "Hey, gamble a few bucks and see if you get lucky." Instead they say, "As you work to build your portfolio ... " They use strong, muscular, active and performative words.

The most famous exemplar is the food industry research reported in the 1950s by Vance Packard. An all-in-one cake mix was introduced. Just add water. But it sold badly. Research showed housewives felt guilty ... they wanted to feel this was their cake. So the dried egg was removed. Now it was just add water and beat in an egg. Adding the egg was a performative act that "claimed" the cake for the maker. The new mix sold much, much better.

Now we see the same thing 70 years later. Connecting wires isn't enough. Sleeves must be rolled up, attention must be paid, hard work must be done. Only then has the customer "earned" his new piece.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Big pro audio companies do that. It's call 'preventive maintenance', if the measurements change it means the amp is failing and is taken off-line.

Top Bottom