• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burn-in testing - real or imaginary?

audio2design

Major Contributor
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/81355-capacitor-burn-break.html

I can't verify his results as I do not have an oscilloscope. But capacitors manufacturers themselves say a burn-in period is required. Some people might have heard of brands like rubycon, nichicon and Elna.

They say a reforming may be needed for electrolytics that have been sitting a long time unused. Can you point to literature from those suppliers discussing burn in? Electrolytic capacitors obviously change with age, but most of that is bad.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I don't think we can have any meaningful discussions on this. I don't think you have an understand of chemical changes of an electrolytic capacitor during this "burn-in", neither do you seems to understand what is endurance and dissipation factor. I would say its better if you go find out more about all these information first, else its just a waste of each other's time. For now, I will just add you to my ignore list.

I understand dissipation factor very well thank you. I can even calculate quite well the effects, but rarely put an electrolytic capacitor in a signal path or use other than for DC bias so it is not an issue. I understand that chemical changes too. Feel free to post links to non audio sites that discuss these sonic issues in detail. Thank You.

kneepel

Nothing to do with audio, but burn-in is done for more than just audio. ITs also done for overclocking of processors. ITs very common for overclockers to "break-in" their processors in order to achieve slightly higher overclocking results.

This is completely incorrect, the only thing that dictates how high voltage you can run is the architecture and luck. If going past a certain voltage or clock speed causes instability it always will and no amount of "burn-in" will fix that.

audio2design

Major Contributor
This is completely incorrect, the only thing that dictates how high voltage you can run is the architecture and luck. If going past a certain voltage or clock speed causes instability it always will and no amount of "burn-in" will fix that.

Thermal interface materials can settle (literally move) at high temperatures filling in spaces changing the thermal transfer characteristics. It has nothing to do with the underlying semiconductor.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understand dissipation factor very well thank you. I can even calculate quite well the effects, but rarely put an electrolytic capacitor in a signal path or use other than for DC bias so it is not an issue. I understand that chemical changes too. Feel free to post links to non audio sites that discuss these sonic issues in detail. Thank You.

Not falling into the trap with clone accounts. Adding to ignore list.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I am not going to discuss about this here. Anyway, adding to ignore list.

Top Bottom