• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Built quality JBL 705 i speakers

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is really lacking is cumulative spectral decay and SPL / frequency at fixed THD (where these would shine). The CSD is especially important since such resonance would have shown.
About its audibility, I noticed that SoundOnSound did talk about it; it may be the quite the subjective review, but since the problem is not imaginary but actually here, it's immediately more credible.

Speaking of audibility, I’d like to pose a simple question that seems answerable with current measurements:

Suppose we play on these speakers a sinewave sweep of equal amplitude from 600hz to 900hz. Will there be an audible change in the quality or quantity of the tone when it passes through the large 10db dip we saw in the independent measurements?

nweigand

Speaking of audibility, I’d like to pose a simple question that seems answerable with current measurements:

Suppose we play on these speakers a sinewave sweep of equal amplitude from 600hz to 900hz. Will there be an audible change in the quality or quantity of the tone when it passes through the large 10db dip we saw in the independent measurements?

Just tested on a pair of 705ps that I'm auditioning at the moment. Short answer: yes, it was audible, although not as bad as the measurements would have lead me to believe.

Details:
- Tested at listening position (approximately 3 meters from speaker in an open plan living room), both single channel and L+R
- Used the REW generator to do a variety of sweeps from 600-900hz, with 10ms fade in/out
- Varied the total sweep duration between 5s and 30s.
- All tests performed sighted

With a 5s sweep I don't think I'd be able to pick out the dip reliably from the normal variations. With a 20s sweep it's pretty clear, although it doesn't sound 10dB down to me. I'm definitely not sure if I would pick out the dip in most normal program material given the narrow range it occupies but I think it's fair to say that it is audible under test conditions designed to highlight it.

For what it's worth I'm still considering keeping the speakers. I want relatively small and affordable active speakers that can dig pretty low. The KH120s look nice but I'm concerned that I'd feel the need for a subwoofer whereas I feel that I could live with the 705ps without a subwoofer.

(edited to add some details on listening position)

Top Bottom