• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building Vinyl collection from now? What do you think? (Classical/Jazz Music)

sangbro

For the new year 2021, one of things that I’m considering is what if I start to collect LP and have little collection?

Personally, for pop music, I will go with streaming. But classics, Idagio and others seems to have a long way to go.
I’ve read articles about LP sales more than CD, the future is LP vs Streaming etc - still I think most of them are about popular music genre.

I would like to try LP as kind of musical ritual for my listening pleasure.

My question is, how about the industry trend? I’m out of the touch for a few years especially after having kids.
For classic/jazz fans, I’d like to ask advice there is also reasonably bright future (though niche) on LP sector.

Does Iabels such as Detusche Grammophon seem like to keep making LPs? How about other labels?
Where do you usually shop for LPs? Classical / Jazz music

Thank you.

PS one of my funny thinking is after I see; LP market went down -> become premium thing / Cassette Tape went down -> become premium thing,
what if CD becomes next junk -> selling with premium thing? (As the digital source for classical music) :)

Last edited:

Bob-23

Hifiwise, I wouldn't switch to LP. But if you like the ritual - it's a matter of personal preference: more hifi vs 'more' ritual...
ECM (Edition Contemporary Music) is generally a good adress for high quality recordings - their Jazz CDs are usually great.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
For the new year 2021, one of things that I’m considering is what if I start to collect LP and have little collection?

Personally, for pop music, I will go with streaming. But classics, Idagio and others seems to have a long way to go.
I’ve read articles about LP sales more than CD, the future is LP vs Streaming etc - still I think most of them are about popular music genre.

My question is, how about the industry trend? I’m out of the touch for a few years especially after having kids.
For classic/jazz fans, I’d like to ask advice there is also reasonably bright future (though niche) on LP sector.

Does Iabels such as Detusche Grammophon seem like to keep making LPs? How about other labels?

Thank you.

PS one of my funny thinking is after I see; LP market went down -> become premium thing / Cassette Tape went down -> become premium thing,
what if CD becomes next junk -> selling with premium thing? (As the digital source for classical music) :)
Go for it,That's how I started in the 80's,in this day an age check out thrift stores and flea markets you'll be surprised what you can find.

Willem

Major Contributor
Don't bother since the sound quality will be quite a bit worse than that from a Chromecast Audio, even with its analogue output. Unless, of course, if you like wasting money on candle light. I am of an age that I started with vinyl, and had and still have a good turntable. However, digital is so much better and cleaner/smoother. Plus it costs far less to get it right.

OP
S

sangbro

Hifiwise, I wouldn't switch to LP. But if you like the ritual - it's a matter of personal preference: more hifi vs 'more' ritual...
ECM (Edition Contemporary Music) is generally a good adress for high quality recordings - their Jazz CDs are usually great.
I don’t need anymore Hifi personally, though I’m not sure what Hifiwise means exactly. I have enough set up to enjoy the music, so I just want to focus on various music sources, It’s like having Porsche/Tesla/Toyota/MiniCooper/ClassicCar etc all at the same time at the garage, then enjoy depending on whatever the mood I’m in, since it’s hobby.

OP
S

sangbro

Go for it,That's how I started in the 80's,in this day an age check out thrift stores and flea markets you'll be surprised what you can find.
In the 80’s I did with Cassette. I should have done with LPs. Btw after brief search I’m surprised at so called Vinyl revival, especially Jazz section.
Vinyl prices are so high and demands are so strong. Discogs secondhand prices are precisely market adjusted.

OP
S

sangbro

Don't bother since the sound quality will be quite a bit worse than that from a Chromecast Audio, even with its analogue output. Unless, of course, if you like wasting money on candle light. I am of an age that I started with vinyl, and had and still have a good turntable. However, digital is so much better and cleaner/smoother. Plus it costs far less to get it right.
I’m not looking for the sound quality. (Who’s looking for the better sound with LPs nowdays anyway?)
It’s like trying film camera for fun after having enough digital cameras.
Bringing back some memories. Hobby is about wasting money for fun.

Again like I said above, many car enthusiasts do not collect only the high performance, but collect wide variety including classic cars that perform worse than any modern car in the market now. (Well some collect only certain kind, not because they’re narrow minded but that‘s just how they like it.) Anyway somehow that demand is strong enough to make classic cars worth millions. It’s not like there is only one way to go in the world of any hobby. LPs and Digital have become totally different paths now. I just want to know the market trend.

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I used to hit the Goodwills fairly often in search of jazz LPs. I scored quite a nice collection, often in VG+ condition, $2 each. Most folks were scrounging for the Rawk, which I had no interest in. If I were a classical fan, though, I would have scored thousands of LPs, in perfect condition. They're out there, easy to find, because there isn't nearly as much interest in them as in other genres.

These days, though, I stick to streaming Qobuz...

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still buy several LPs a month, as well as CDs, and enjoy playing LPs in the same way as I would enjoy driving a 1936 MGTC or 1923 blown Bentley, and I enjoy watching steam locomotives and biplane aircraft. None of these things are for the daily chore, just for pure fun. I've even recently taken to playing 78s, digitising them and doing some clean-ups to see how good I can get them to sound.

However, I hardly ever (like 2 in the past 20 years) buy new LPs, they're all used, either from record fairs, or eBay or occasionally charity shops. I suggest that buying new LPs is a bit pointless, as poor as car analogies are, it would be like buying a replica MGTC, with a modern engine and automatic transmission. There's a lot of pleasure to be had from finding an LP I used to have when I was 18, and there's lots of classic jazz to be found. With classical music, I stick to CD unless its Quadraphonic, as there's really no way of feeding my SQ decoder without LPs as a source.

If you want a new hobby, and I see vinyl as a substantial hobby in itself, then go for it. You will need a record cleaning machine, however, as it's pretty much the only way of getting used LPs (and new ones too) properly clean.

S.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same experience streaming classical music. The standard tagging system for files is artist, rather than composer based because it was done by pop music enthusiasts which means finding what you want very frustrating.
OTOH the LP fashion has been lead by popular music, since that is where the sales are and there are few, if any, classical LPs being pressed today.
As far as secondhand LPs are concerned beware! Because the dynamic range of classical music is so much greater than popular music marks, scratches and wear are much more audible on classical LPs.
Also the deterioration due to wear is not immediately obvious (therefore may not matter as much). A friend brought over some LPs he had been delighted to find to play them on my Goldmund Reference turntable. One of them was a rare LP set I had bought over 45 years ago and he is very into labels and which pressing so he was very interested to hear mine too. He was very disappointed to hear his, which looked immaculate on the surface, didn't sound as good as mine which has always been played using a well set-up good quality cartridge and handled with care.
So in summary you won't get better sound and usually, finding good secondhand LPs is nowadays difficult and expensive, at least here in the UK.

I have been playing LPs for almost 60 years now and have hundreds but, because of the poor tagging of digital files, I have gone back to mainly listening to CDs.

OP
S

sangbro

I used to hit the Goodwills fairly often in search of jazz LPs. I scored quite a nice collection, often in VG+ condition, $2 each. Most folks were scrounging for the Rawk, which I had no interest in. If I were a classical fan, though, I would have scored thousands of LPs, in perfect condition. They're out there, easy to find, because there isn't nearly as much interest in them as in other genres.

These days, though, I stick to streaming Qobuz...
That treasure hunt is not easy in the area where I live, that what I just find out due to recent increase in demand.

Fortunately, unlike Jazz LPs, Classical music LPs have some breathing room and sanity left.
Time to find some of old favorites.

OP
S

sangbro

I still buy several LPs a month, as well as CDs, and enjoy playing LPs in the same way as I would enjoy driving a 1936 MGTC or 1923 blown Bentley, and I enjoy watching steam locomotives and biplane aircraft. None of these things are for the daily chore, just for pure fun. I've even recently taken to playing 78s, digitising them and doing some clean-ups to see how good I can get them to sound.

However, I hardly ever (like 2 in the past 20 years) buy new LPs, they're all used, either from record fairs, or eBay or occasionally charity shops. I suggest that buying new LPs is a bit pointless, as poor as car analogies are, it would be like buying a replica MGTC, with a modern engine and automatic transmission. There's a lot of pleasure to be had from finding an LP I used to have when I was 18, and there's lots of classic jazz to be found. With classical music, I stick to CD unless its Quadraphonic, as there's really now way of feeding my SQ decoder without LPs as a source.

If you want a new hobby, and I see vinyl as a substantial hobby in itself, then go for it. You will need a record cleaning machine, however, as it's pretty much the only way of getting used LPs (and new ones too) properly clean.

S.

Deutschegrammophon recently relelased the record that I want to have in LP only. I don’t know why.
Anyway that triggers my little interest.

About the car, I don’t care how they make it as long as it’s fun for me in any possible way.
In california, there are many porsche restoring companies with tesla motor inside. Recently I test drive the original bronco with electric overhaul. Electrics are not my cup of tea so I wouldn’t buy them, but also don’t think those are useless as long as someone wants it for fun. Waitinglist are longer that I thought too. Replica MGTC sounds actually nice to me since the originals are too far out of my reach.

AGAIN THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO HAVE FUN. It’s not like there is only one way to have fun.

I want to feel the flawed sound that I once heard when I was young. It would be like playing cassette tape again.
For Classic, I even gave up collecting CD or whatever once I realize that the best way is to go be the audience.

So I used to attend the concert whenever there is chance. Since that’s not possible this year, I want to have fun in a different section.

Cleaning machine is not a big deal. There are some fancy ones and reasonable ones in Amazon.
Still I’m amazed how LP markets get back to life with maybe new audience.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Thank you.

Classical music best displays the qualities of Digital playback and the worst of LP playback. A lot of classical music would have durations greater than 18 minutes, the maximum good duration per side of an LP. This music frequently has pitches held for a long duration, like piano notes or choral sounds. The best playback for LPs usually comes pre-distorted in Rock and Pop. The less the distortion of the source recording, the greater the chances that LPs will audibly distort. If it's sound quality that concerns you, you're best off with digital playback.

I have a lot of experience recording "classical" music. There's at least 20 CDs out there with my name in the credits. I also have plenty of experience collecting and listening to western art music on LP. There's really no contest, LPs are a bad format for classical music. CDs are underrated in the audiophile community, but generally preferred within the classical music community.

OP
S

sangbro

I have the same experience streaming classical music. The standard tagging system for files is artist, rather than composer based because it was done by pop music enthusiasts which means finding what you want very frustrating.
OTOH the LP fashion has been lead by popular music, since that is where the sales are and there are few, if any, classical LPs being pressed today.
As far as secondhand LPs are concerned beware! Because the dynamic range of classical music is so much greater than popular music marks, scratches and wear are much more audible on classical LPs.
Also the deterioration due to wear is not immediately obvious (therefore may not matter as much). A friend brought over some LPs he had been delighted to find to play them on my Goldmund Reference turntable. One of them was a rare LP set I had bought over 45 years ago and he is very into labels and which pressing so he was very interested to hear mine too. He was very disappointed to hear his, which looked immaculate on the surface, didn't sound as good as mine which has always been played using a well set-up good quality cartridge and handled with care.
So in summary you won't get better sound and usually, finding good secondhand LPs is nowadays difficult and expensive, at least here in the UK.

I have been playing LPs for almost 60 years now and have hundreds but, because of the poor tagging of digital files, I have gone back to mainly listening to CDs.
Thank you for the advice.

I tried music services focused on classical music such as Idagio and Primphonic. Both are better than other pop-based streaming services.
The problem is they still have many short comings, and the price is not stable. The quality is also still same as CD.

I get apple music free, so I use this service to quick search music and any pop related needs.
The streaming will be the future anyway, so I want to have fun while I can.
At this point, for me, having LPs and looking at the covers and holding it all parts would be fun. I want to show kids too as ancient fossil.

I think I need to be picky about it. Thankfully, it seems LP market is getting new momentum.
Deutschegrammophon seems to keep making LPs, and that would be good for me.

I already have CDs that I’m not sure I can all listen again enough until I die, and there would be numerous concerts that I want to attend.
Along with busy stuff in my life, probably I can only get 2-3 Lps max per months.

Lastly, it’s sad to hear the situation. I thought that the Europe situation is better than the states.
When I search LPs on Discogs, there are way more Classical LPs with Euro Price tags.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The most recent good experience with LP playback involved a Scott 299b integrated amp, a good suspended sub-chassis turntable [Strathclyde 305-m with a SME III arm and a Shure 97xE cartridge], and small floor-standing RBH speakers. It sounded best with pop vocal and Jazz, though Classical vocal also sounded fine with this system. Had it about five years ago. Big classical pieces, like all those Mercury Living Presence and RCA Victor Living Stereo showpieces, got messy and distorted on LP playback, compared to their digital counterparts. But Jazz usually came out sounding fine. Regarding the quality of the discs themselves, LPs were, on average, worse than CD counterparts. And I managed to collect over 2000 LPs starting in 2000, the low point of LPs and a buyer's market for those who indulged. Now is a bad time to start collecting LPs, prices are unnaturally high, as is demand.

By the way, it's Deutsche Grammophon, and their high-point was in the 1950's and 1960's. The engineering went downhill in the 1970s through the 1990s. Current productions are DDD unless you buy the [overpriced] LPs. Surface quality, historically, was above average. But a used copy is a crap-shoot, often no fun at all. Other vintage labels worth seeking out include Philips and Decca/London. The classic, collectible, RCA and Mercury LPs usually have a slightly below average surface quality, Angel records are always worse than their European equivalents, Japanese pressings are almost always superior, but the EQ on those discs tents to be overcooked in the treble.

Last edited:
OP
S

sangbro

Exactly.

Which is why I never buy classical LPs.
Again, I was asking about the industry trend.

Who thinks LPs have better sound quality than Digital... It’s about having a different fun perspective.

OP
S

sangbro

The most recent good experience with LP playback involved a Scott 299b integrated amp, a good suspended sub-chassis turntable [Strathclyde 305-m with a SME III arm and a Shure 97xE cartridge], and small floor-standing RBH speakers. It sounded best with pop vocal and Jazz, though Classical vocal also sounded fine with this system. Had it about five years ago. Big classical pieces, like all those Mercury Living Presence and RCA Victor Living Stereo showpieces, got messy and distorted on LP playback, compared to their digital counterparts. But Jazz usually came out sounding fine. Regarding the quality of the discs themselves, LPs were, on average, worse than CD counterparts. And I managed to collect over 2000 LPs starting in 2000, the low point of LPs and a buyer's market for those who indulged. Now is a bad time to start collecting LPs, prices are unnaturally high, as is demand.

Thank you for the device recommendation, though I will start with something more approachable to really ensure this is what I think.

Deutschegrammophon‘s recent LP only release was interesting because I didn’t care about the market trend for years.

As you mentioned, due to techical short comings, LPs are especially limited for classical music. Still I find good amount of music that I want to hear. The problem is whether I can get these with good condition. I do appreciate CDs a lot.
Streaming services for Classical music is still limited or unnecessarily difficult. So I stick to CD collection with digital archive.

Once I have more than certain number of CDs, I sort of realize that I might die before listening all the music again I want.
I have apple music too if I want to try something new too.

Anyway, as you mentioned LP prices really surprise me. The market is really strong somehow. I should have bought earlier.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Again, I was asking about the industry trend.

Who thinks LPs have better sound quality than Digital... It’s about having a different fun perspective.

I don't find classical LPs to be as fun to listen to as other genres.

Jazz/pop/rock, as genres, evolved coincidentally with recorded music.

The 'album' as a set of short-medium duration songs suits LP just fine. Even when mid- to late-era LPs started making concept albums, Side A and Side B are artistically compiled with the flip as an intermission.

This isn't true for classical, and I find it disruptive.

Also, the end of side increased distortion inherent in LPs coincides badly with classical end of movement crescendos.

But, sure, if you just want to have fun and collect LPs, classical is fine.

I just get enough 'LP fun' by collecting the genres that LP is better suited for.

Also, classical album art usually sucks. ;)

You don't get stuff like this in the classical world:

68e92960bd74e2cb860284823f0ddf2f.jpg

Top Bottom