• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building my first HT, have JBL590s, need center channel ideas

Trojanfan96

Hi everyone, this is my first post and have done a bit of research before asking this question. I have JBL 590s for my fronts, I have two pair of 530s, HSU VTF-2 MK5 for my sub and a Marantz SR6015.

I’ve not yet been able to settle on a center center, budget is ~$500. While waay under this budget the Polk S30 seems to get good reviews, just don’t know how it will sound. I also thought about using one of the 530s, as I bought an extra set.

I’m thinking to get some “for now” until the JBL 665c hits the market.

Any suggestions?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The list of reviewed center channel speakers that have earned a recommendation here is unfortunately quite limited (5 total), but what they all have in common is a WTMW configuration instead of the more common WTW configuration. The Infinity RC263 is the cheapest to earn a recommendation, but what you're probably looking for in general is the best Harman brand's WTMW center channel that your budget allows.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Under $500 you don't have a ton of good options. The Elac UC52 is probably the best, but you will need to use the EQ on your AV receiver to timbre match it with your JBL 590's.

Do not buy an MTM centre channel above $150-200. The radiation pattern they offer is not similar to a bookshelf or tower speaker, disrupting the ability to have sounds smoothly pan between channels. 3 way centre channels, especially with a coaxial mid/tweeter, do a much better job.

(MTM is viable with a low enough crossover point, but commercial offerings are all 1500Hz+ which is too high)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd try a 530 but think you might want more in the end. I use an RC263 (520C before that) but don't think they've been around for a while now.

Top Bottom