• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building A Reactive Load for Amplifier Testing

pma

Major Contributor
This is what I use to test with complex load

dummyload_PMA_cir.png

dummy_load_EPDR2_s.png

L1 is on the ferrite core and is nonlinear in a similar way as a real life woofer.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Still do, and use it for every amplifier review. See, for example, figs.1 & 2 at https://www.stereophile.com/content/vac-sigma-170i-iq-integrated-amplifier-measurements . The only change I made to Ken's circuit was to add a Zobel network---a resistor and capacitor in series---across the input terminals so that the top-octave impedance more closely resembled real-world loudspeakers.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
I don't see from this text that I should conclude that the circuit presented online as 'Ken's' already include your modification with an added resistor and capacitor in series at the input. Nor does the circuit diagram show such a combination. So please tell me what parts that are in that circuit diagram. Or tell me the values of the added R and C. Thanks.

Edit: finally found the diagram by taking of my sunglasses... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Still do, and use it for every amplifier review.
So as the king daddy of measuring amps, what are your thoughts about testing say low frequencies with (partially) capacitive and inductive loads? And do you feel what you measure pretty much shows what the listeners hear, or is there still mystery there?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I don't see from this text that I should conclude that the circuit presented online as 'Ken's' already include your modification with an added resistor and capacitor in series at the input. Nor does the circuit diagram show such a combination. So please tell me what parts that are in that circuit diagram. Or tell me the values of the added R and C. Thanks.
Ken Kantor’s circuit

52B30941-892F-4325-ACFC-75F88E4E3341.png

JA’s circuit
36074557-0F20-4069-907B-CED221D07E5A.png

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks. Finally got it: the link from JA does not go to page 2, but page 1... And the first resistor of the 'tweeter' part has also been changed in value.

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
the link from JA does not go to page 2, but page 1...
You get to the second page by scrolling down to the bottom of the first page and clicking on the page 2 button above the comments.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Looks like the John Atkinson circuit should give a decent load variation for the amp to drive. Can the amp be tested with pink noise and a 20-20KHZ sweep? Seems like that would show how it handles individual frequencies in the sweep versus all frequencies at once.

pma

Major Contributor
Can the amp be tested with pink noise and a 20-20KHZ sweep?

Yes it can. You will get nothing useful from the pink noise test. 20Hz-20kHz (or higher) sweep is routinely used for THD/THD+N vs. frequency test. So nothing new.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Yes it can. You will get nothing useful from the pink noise test. 20Hz-20kHz (or higher) sweep is routinely used for THD/THD+N vs. frequency test. So nothing new.
If I can explain further. The sweep will give us a measurement of how the amp responds to an ever increasing single frequency over time. The pink noise measurement will test how the amp responds to all frequencies at the same time. This could be like playing back low complexity music - acoustic guitar for example, versus complex music - full orchestra.

Top Bottom