• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building a low cost subwoofer for the home

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is your current design is underwhelming in term of performance.
Will it not render frequencies between 30Hz to 100Hz at acceptable SPL for an apartment? :oops:

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss Batman.
Wheeee ..... :D
whee.jpg

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it not render frequencies between 30Hz to 100Hz at acceptable SPL for an apartment? :oops:
I gather from your responses you want to build it .. By all means, proceed. You asked
Anything i didn't consider?

We offered our point of views , backed by objective metrics. These are not orders. Simply Data points. You are the final judge.

Peace.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Another question should be whether you really want to annoy your neighbours with a subwoofer; it is not much fun listening to a subwoofer through a partition wall or the floor/ceiling.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gather from your responses you want to build sit .. By all means, proceed. You asked
If you tell me what performance parameter it lacks, i'll look into it for sure. Otherwise saying "underwhelming in term of performance" is meaningless.

Another question should be whether you really want to annoy your neighbours with a subwoofer; it is not much fun listening to a subwoofer through a partition wall or the floor/ceiling.
That is a problem indeed. I expect there will be enough SPL to get my neighbors annoyed, but i'm not listening with very high volume usually.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you tell me what performance parameter it lacks, i'll look into it for sure. Otherwise saying "underwhelming in term of performance" is meaningless.

That is a problem indeed. I expect there will be enough SPL to get my neighbors annoyed, but i'm not listening with very high volume usually.
index.php

You can get better performance this for he same cash outlay...
I'll drop out case from here.

Peace.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

You can get better performance this for he same cash outlay...
One curve is the predicted FR (red) in that box, the other is the estimated FR i hope to achieve with DSP (blue).
What do you think is the performance problem? What metric bugs you?
1602885196617.jpg

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The enclosure has been assembled and the sub is playing at a friends house for now. Getting the jigsaw to cut that thick material was a challenge.

Problem right now, the room gain is plenty and using the knob on the plate amp to get the right volume isn't as easy as i thought it should be. It's either to much or not enough. Should be easy to dial in the perfect gain once the 2x4HD is integrated.

I also need to think about dampening the enclosure, there is nothing in there for now. I have self adhesive bitumen used to dampen car doors and will add some kind of polyfill.

Top Bottom