• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build your own Roon "appliance!"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a great development by Roon folks to enable fast and easy build of a Roon music server using small form factor "NUC" Intel computers. I love the support they have for auto update and integration of Linux+Roon having had to do that myself on other appliances (and failing).

So if you don't want to build a Windows or Mac Server, and hate dealing with intricacies of Linux, this is an ideal solution: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Let's first explain what Roon OS is, and then we can talk about Roon Optimized Core Kit.

Roon OS is a custom Linux based operating system, tailored for running Roon Server and providing a best-in-class, appliance-type user experience to host the Roon Core.

Roon OS boots very quickly and integrates with the Roon suite of applications for updating, discovery, configuration, and support. It also comes with a disaster recovery mechanism.

Roon OS includes a web-based administration UI which allows users to check system status, configure network settings, start or stop services, and factory-reset the device from desktop and mobile web browsers. The Roon application also can locate Roon OS on the network and give the user a link to open this web UI in a browser.

To allow partner manufacturers to build custom turn-key Roon Server based offerings, Roon OS has a few hooks for manufacturers to customize Roon OS to their specific device.

So, what is Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK) then?
ROCK is a do-it-yourself build of Roon OS. To use it, you will need to buy hardware components, assemble them, and install ROCK.

This is is what ROCK offers (and what it doesn't offer):

• It is completely free ($0)
  • It is an alternative to Windows/MacOS/Ubuntu/Arch/etc..
  • It runs Roon (The stock Linux RoonServer to be exact), but does not come with a Roon membership. You can sign up for a free trial or purchase a Roon membership here
  • It is an extremely lightweight Linux-based operating system. Much more on the scale of an embedded machine than a desktop or server operating system.
  • It is a turn-key image with all required pieces to make a Linux based Roon appliance without any prior knowledge of Roon or Linux
  • It should be near silent or completely silent, depending on hardware
  • It auto-updates in an experience similar to Roon, integrated fully into the Roon Remotes' Settings->About page.
  • OS updates will blow away any "custom" changes you may have made to the OS, so we do not recommend you try to tweak the OS
  • It provides a web browser based configuration for networking setup, factory reset, power/reboot, etc...
  • It can not run additional software, nor does it support any customizations or modifications to the operating system
  • It has working multichannel digital audio output support (if the hardware has a working HDMI or DisplayPort connector)
You can migrate your Roon databases over to it easily using our Backup functionality. It exposes your internal storage and external storage (USB) drives over an SMB share (micro-NAS!). You can backup your storage content using whatever backup solution you use currently because the internal storage is accessible via a network share. The OS does not need to be backed up, because it can easily be reflashed at any time.

---

See the link for more information.

Ellisr63

Do you need to get the subscription to use Rock? I heard that a new Company bought Roon, and that they are abolishishing all the old subscriptions, and starting a monthly fee for subscription...hence my question about needing a subscription.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you need to get the subscription to use Rock? I heard that a new Company bought Roon, and that they are abolishishing all the old subscriptions, and starting a monthly fee for subscription...hence my question about needing a subscription.
Where was that announced? I haven’t seen that anywhere. I have only seen
$119/year or the lifetime membership of $500.

Ellisr63

Where was that announced? I haven’t seen that anywhere. I have only seen
$119/year or the lifetime membership of $500.
I read it last night...Someone posted a link that they were bought by some Company in March, and all subscriptions were being abolished. I think it was on the Roon site, but it was hurried in a thread. I was about to buy a Roon setup until I saw this. I figure I will wait and see what happens before I go Roon. This is also why I wanted to know if a subscription is required to use Rock. Does the Roon go inline whenever you use it or just when you update your library?

Ellisr63

I just posted in the Roon forums to see if this is in fact true. I will post back when I hear info.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. If true would have thought that would be huge news on e Roon forum.

Ellisr63

I sent a message to Roon about this... I could have sworn it was posted on the Roon forum too, but I cannot find it now. I was ready to buy a PC for Roon too. I have not tried Roon, but I love the metadata that they use, and most likely will be buying a new preamp with Roon endpoint.

Ellisr63

I got a response back...I was told it is not true. They have not sold the company, and subscriptions are still the same. So now i can start looking at my options to build one too.

Top Bottom