• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build of gr-research X-LS Encore

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the Buchardt s400s don't have any damping in them. All technical and listening tests didn't deliver any difference..

was not the S400 (based on pic from webpage)...

1595166428984.png

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I believe the Buchardt s400s don't have any damping in them. All technical and listening tests didn't deliver any difference..
They do have polyfill batting sheets in them lol, they just don't have any cabinet bracing.

Hi everyone
A new member here. I am joining the DIY community and jumping into a LS encore kit. I have been influenced by NRD and GR YouTube for sure but googling GR Danny seems to be very genuine and very helpful. I have contacted him and he has been very patient with my questions as I have never built a speaker kit before and his website (ancient) said to call or email. In saying that I did let him know that he needs to bring the website out of the early 90's to help with newbies. :) He agreed and said a new site is being built. So I am sure if he reads the criticisms from this thread he will be able to improve the site.
Can I just say and it is not a flame thing here but I was pleasantly surprised when I got all the way to the end of the thread that good science, humor and the raging debate pushed me along the journey. I was initially concerned (as a newbie) that GR was being bashed prior to the build by rick and without measurements and a listening session. I thought maybe I save up for the EVO 4.2 and play it safe. But in the end it seemed like a great unbiased community to join. Hey Rick thanks for the thread and it will help with my build down the track once I all I need to start. Including my mates excellent workshop and his time :):) I am sure that into the future I will look to other kits of which I did look into or maybe buy some EVO4.2 (bunkbail);) Naa. :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone
A new member here. I am joining the DIY community and jumping into a LS encore kit. I have been influenced by NRD and GR YouTube for sure but googling GR Danny seems to be very genuine and very helpful. I have contacted him and he has been very patient with my questions as I have never built a speaker kit before and his website (ancient) said to call or email. In saying that I did let him know that he needs to bring the website out of the early 90's to help with newbies. :) He agreed and said a new site is being built. So I am sure if he reads the criticisms from this thread he will be able to improve the site.
Can I just say and it is not a flame thing here but I was pleasantly surprised when I got all the way to the end of the thread that good science, humor and the raging debate pushed me along the journey. I was initially concerned (as a newbie) that GR was being bashed prior to the build by rick and without measurements and a listening session. I thought maybe I save up for the EVO 4.2 and play it safe. But in the end it seemed like a great unbiased community to join. Hey Rick thanks for the thread and it will help with my build down the track once I all I need to start. Including my mates excellent workshop and his time :):) I am sure that into the future I will look to other kits of which I did look into or maybe buy some EVO4.2 (bunkbail);) Naa. :)

Welcome to ASR and thanks for the compliment!

Despite having built many kits, I try to take the newbie perspective as I evaluate them. The X-LS Encore has a lot of options and, as you found, the website is not as helpful as it could be. In trying to be keep the purchase decision as objective as possible, it meant making some judgment calls. I have not called any other kit suppliers as part of a purchase, so as fairness goes, Danny was treated equitably. Can see where it could seem negative, but have talked to Danny since and he was receptive of my build comments.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your speakers!

Welcome to ASR and thanks for the compliment!

Despite having built many kits, I try to take the newbie perspective as I evaluate them. The X-LS Encore has a lot of options and, as you found, the website is not as helpful as it could be. In trying to be keep the purchase decision as objective as possible, it meant making some judgment calls. I have not called any other kit suppliers as part of a purchase, so as fairness goes, Danny was treated equitably. Can see where it could seem negative, but have talked to Danny since and he was receptive of my build comments.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your speakers!
Thanks Rick, great to be here and the review was great for me as new to this hobby. I am excited about the build but more importantly how they will sound for years to come. :)

McFly

Very nice work. I hope Danny is a good sport about whatever follows...

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a start? Here is my testing and score for how much this recent No Rez video helps:
  1. Does it help you determine how much No Rez to buy? No, but he does admit he could have done a cut sheet!
  2. Does he show you where the pieces should go? One, so give partial credit...
  3. Does he indicate when you should install? Yes, apparently after the box is built and finished
Given the above, I score it about 4 out 10. If you think this is a harsh judgement, check the questions on YouTube for the short time this video has been available. You will find they reflect the lack of detail in the video - No Rez(olution) as yet. :oops:

Hope the crossover one is better!

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
GR Rresearch X-SL Encore NoRez instalattion
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10T-77xKUE3ZV-HJl_3F8yr0rHH77df4x

Your opinion does not matter to me because from the beginning you have resisted doing things well. That you have underestimated the importance of damping cabinet vibrations is what it has.

I am only interested in distortions measurements, especially the woofer, because the rest is already known (and I have saved).

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, have cut the panels for the second speaker. While I will await Amir's test results before I complete it, in addition to the other damping materials tested earlier in the thread, I have acquired some of the better Sonic Barrier. It is a multi-layered sheet with adhesive (like No Rez), but only cost about a third (currently on sale at Parts Express).

I plan to add the Sonic Barrier results to my earlier testing.

More to come...

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The negative comments by Danny concerning Sonic Barrier are laughable. I've used it in many speakers and it doesn't harm the sound in any fashion.

KaiserSoze

GR Rresearch X-SL Encore NoRez instalattion
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10T-77xKUE3ZV-HJl_3F8yr0rHH77df4x

Your opinion does not matter to me because from the beginning you have resisted doing things well. That you have underestimated the importance of damping cabinet vibrations is what it has.

I am only interested in distortions measurements, especially the woofer, because the rest is already known (and I have saved).

I've only been sort of half-watching this with moderate interest, but off the top of my head, I recall only a brief discussion concerned with the philosophical question of whether it is appropriate to do things above and beyond what is clearly spelled out and explained in the instructions. I'm not sure if any of that discussion was concerned specifically with the question of how important damping is likely to be. If a decision was consciously made to not do this thing or that thing, on the grounds that the instructions were vague with respect to whether the particular thing is supposed to be done, there is no implication of underestimation or assessment of what is or isn't important. I mean, seriously, is a person building the speaker supposed to canvass the internet and try to follow all the sundry opinions on what is required in order for the speaker to sound the way it should? Surely it is obvious that any expectation of this nature is not a realistic expectation.

And similarly with the Youtube videos, how is the builder supposed to know whether they've watched all the Youtube videos they are supposed to watch? Only if the videos are clearly named in the instructions shipped with the product.

I've only been sort of half-watching this with moderate interest, but off the top of my head, I recall only a brief discussion concerned with the philosophical question of whether it is appropriate to do things above and beyond what is clearly spelled out and explained in the instructions. I'm not sure if any of that discussion was concerned specifically with the question of how important damping is likely to be. If a decision was consciously made to not do this thing or that thing, on the grounds that the instructions were vague with respect to whether the particular thing is supposed to be done, there is no implication of underestimation or assessment of what is or isn't important. I mean, seriously, is a person building the speaker supposed to canvass the internet and try to follow all the sundry opinions on what is required in order for the speaker to sound the way it should? Surely it is obvious that any expectation of this nature is not a realistic expectation.

And similarly with the Youtube videos, how is the builder supposed to know whether they've watched all the Youtube videos they are supposed to watch? Only if the videos are clearly named in the instructions shipped with the product.

Cool tag Kaiser. I am sure that all of this feedback Danny is taking onboard for his new website and packing instructions. The more mentioned here I think will help all of the the future GR customers and others selling kits. Keep it coming guys. It is great for a newbie like me. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's a start? Here is my testing and score for how much this recent No Rez video helps:
  1. Does it help you determine how much No Rez to buy? No, but he does admit he could have done a cut sheet!
  2. Does he show you where the pieces should go? One, so give partial credit...
  3. Does he indicate when you should install? Yes, apparently after the box is built and finished
Given the above, I score it about 4 out 10. If you think this is a harsh judgement, check the questions on YouTube for the short time this video has been available. You will find they reflect the lack of detail in the video - No Rez(olution) as yet. :oops:

Hope the crossover one is better!
I thought it was a useless video. It discouraged me from trying if I were building it. Seems like a pain in the neck.

Top Bottom