• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build of Carmody S2000

Icboschert

Forum Donor
View attachment 84121

I use a pair of these as nearfield computer speakers and have no complaints. The cabinet dimensions (and flatpacks, other than the front baffle) are identical between these and the Overnight Sensations. I agree with Rick, if I wanted to go loud with these I'd cross them with a sub so the highpass would keep the woofers out of trouble, but with them 2 feet from my head it hasn't been an issue.
Nice cabinet. Is that a gel stain?

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Yes, it's I think 2 coats of Varathane Mahogany gel with a few coats of pecan-tinted poly on top to warm it up a bit. Staining birch evenly is a hassle and gel stains make it much easier.
Good to know from a woodworkers perspective. Birch tends to blotch badly and in general I tend to avoid staining it like I tend to avoid cobras with attitude issues, Sooo...good tip! Gel stains the way to go apparently, no need for the snake bite kit.;)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That case design is perfect for DIY veneering even by those with limited woodworking skills. The below video shows how it can be done at home without a workshop and lots of woodworking tools...

mrmoizy

Beautiful build. I'm in the middle of a build that's 2+ years in. Not 2 years of work in - just life takes over and progress has been slow. Super fun to get a completed product though. Well done, happy to see how they were received in their review that was just posted

Asmodeus2112

I hope the kit doesn't come with a blown out woofer like in the pics...
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/s2000-kit.html
1605712801137.png

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look closer, it's just a reflection on a glossy part of the surround

good point, but would not have known without having one around to see for myself!

Asmodeus2112

Look closer, it's just a reflection on a glossy part of the surround
Ok, good to know. Looked like light shinning through from the back and some tears.. I see the shinny part now, clearer from the other pic too.
1605723085623.png

Kadent

Looks promising, but give it some time and will see how popular it is. Like that it has flat pack and the damping included

Coincidentally enough, I was going to buy the kits you got but ultimately decided on the DA-Wave. Been using them for about a month now.

If it receives enough interest, I'll post a review of it with measurements, impressions etc.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coincidentally enough, I was going to buy the kits you got but ultimately decided on the DA-Wave. Been using them for about a month now.

If it receives enough interest, I'll post a review of it with measurements, impressions etc.

Am sure there is plenty of interest. With other projects, my DIY builds have somewhat slowed recently so any way other members can fill in is helpful!

MrJoePike

What other DIY builds are under consideration? Id like to do a sub and a center channel.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am still sitting on the Bagby Mandolin and will send it to Amir right after we get the Purifi SPK5 retested.

After that, I do not have any planned builds. Shy of funding some more builds, am looking to others that might want to submit their designs for testing. Of course, there is middle ground and having members post builds (hopefully with some measurements) is beneficial too. :)

Kadent

Sure thing, if you guys could give me about 2 maybe 3 weeks to write up the review that would be awesome.

I’m one of those people that like to explain everything in detail, so those that are completely new to this hobby will also fit in :)

Reason for the wait is I’m actually waiting on an extension cable for my calibrated mic, who knows when that will arrive.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the measurements.

keantoken

The glossy substance on the inner crevice of the surround is some kind of tacky viscous compound to add mechanical loss to the cone edge where it tends to flop around like the end of a long stick when you shake it. This controls the cone breakup modes which improves spectral decay, frequency response and dispersion spikes that can be caused by cone breakup. There are some cheap speakers with this feature which still show horrendous breakup behavior though.

Top Bottom