• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget subwoofer options, DIY or wait...

John_Dikeman

Sorry, some real NOOB questions coming up.

I recently got a pair of Focal Aria 906s which I'm running off an Arcam A18 FMJ integrated amplifier.
I'm very happy with the sound overall. Was running a pair of Kef Q100s before and these are a major step up.

Anyway, I also have an extra car subwoofer sitting around so I thought about installing that with this system.
It's a Focal 25A1 solution which has a built in amp.
  • Product type: Amplified enclosure
  • Load: Vented
  • Max. amplification: 500W
  • Max. power: 300W subwoofer + 2 x 100W
  • Nom. power: 150W subwoofer + 2 x 50W
  • Frequency response (+/-3dB): 42Hz - 500Hz
  • Subwoofer: 25cm (10") all weather woven glass fiber cone
  • Magnet: 145mm (5.7")
  • Voice coil: 50mm (2")
  • Dimensions: (HxLxD) 300x350x425mm (11.8"x13.8"x16.7")
  • Controls: Phase, hi-pass crossover, lo-pass crossover, level, bass boost, external remote control.
Since I'm broke, for the moment I thought I'd try to use this for now.
I'm going to try an AC DC adapter that supplies 480 watts and 40 ampere @ 12v.

Someone in the another thread already mentioned that might not be enough power to get good performance with this sub. If that's the case, this does indeed seem like a kind of useless venture. However, I'm interested in some DIY options.

Would the 10" driver be worth repurposing to make a subwoofer? If I made a cabinet of the proper size would it be a decent speaker for a small living room or am I better off scrapping it and just living without a subwoofer? I see it's rated from 42 - 150 hz and the Aria already goes down to 55 so maybe it's not that useful anyway?

If I am to start looking for a used subwoofer, what would you recommend? I live in Belgium/Netherlands so European brands are better, which is one of the reasons I have so much Focal gear. I'm more than happy to go for something used and old... Are there subs that just cover the low end 15 - 60 hz or something?

All suggestions are most welcome. I'm also just interested in learning more about subs in general.

kiwifi

Here is an option for the 10" driver...

Barrel Sub

OP
J

John_Dikeman

Thanks for the info!
Can anyone recommend a good budget amplifier module if I wish to convert the current Focal sub I have to a home cinema version?

Top Bottom