• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget speakers < $500?

arian487

I'm in the market for a new pair of passive bookshelf speakers and I was wondering if people had suggestions here. I've seen posts about budget options here in the past, but the last one was a while ago so I was wondering if people have updated rankings. I have no qualms buying used. I use the speakers for mainly movies and some light music listening, and will likely never pump up the volume too high. I do not have a subwoofer. Here are some thoughts based on reviews:

- Infinity r162
- Elac uni-fi ub5 used
- Elac db6.2 used
- Wharfedale diamond 220

I also noticed the elac dbr62 have been released and getting good reviews though they are above my price range. I'd consider going above it if they are leaps and bounds better, but I think I prefer the used market generally.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I've a pair of the R162. If you wait until they go back on sale for about the $159 I paid for my pair, you can't go wrong. If you are concerned about ASRs review and comments about being 'bright' etc., you can EQ that out, since DI is good to start with. Great price, good performance, EQ adaptable. If you get them for < $200, you have up $300 for a DSP solution via miniDSP or Dayton DSP-408.

I use mine with an old RX 396 $30 thrift store Yamaha. Plenty to drive them. And 'no hiss':) And happy with no DSP so far. Just raised the bass a bit..

Personally, I avoid expensive used 'mechanical transducers' sight (sound) unseen. You never know if they have been subject to abuse, since unlike electronics where if you abuse it, you blow it - the speakers may still output..

Last edited:
OP
A

arian487

I forgot to add that it looks like I can get a pair of Polk LSIM 703s in my area on craigslist for $450

Esskay

Forum Donor
I heard the Elac UB5's several years ago and loved them. On sale now direct from Elac for about $400/pr. The "slim" models look much better and sometimes go on sale from Amazon for around $500. There's now a UB51, but I've seen nothing about any differences.

Elac has too many models in the same price and size range. But every one I've heard sounded better than expected for the price.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot to add that it looks like I can get a pair of Polk LSIM 703s in my area on craigslist for $450
Sure they’re nice but mighty power hungry. Hope you have a powerful amp.
Measurements
The speaker will sound bright unless you are in the near-field, lots of retained energy ~3kHz.
It is a very difficult to power ~100Hz, but not bad everywhere else.

dachiznitt

I have a pair of these powered by a March audio p252 amp and using an smsl su8 dac. Love this setup! Plenty loud, great bass and overall sound is pleasing. I would bet there won't be many speakers at $450 that would compare.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revel M16. From a willing dealer price isn't far off from $500. Otherwise I would go JBL 230 for $279 which is 1/2 off. For the price, not sure that can be beat. Link

dachiznitt

Plenty of options at this price point and many of them measured elsewhere as well. Agree the DBR62's are very compelling. Why I chose LSIMs 703? I wanted a larger bookshelf that didn't need a sub for 2-channel audio. These fit the bill perfectly. In fact, look at the difference in dimensions and weight between all these options. LSIMs have a very sturdy cabinet and weigh almost 30 lbs! Also look at the FR of these things.. Monster "bookshelfs"..

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revel M16. From a willing dealer price isn't far off from $500. Otherwise I would go JBL 230 for $279 which is 1/2 off. For the price, not sure that can be beat. Link

+1 for the Revel M16. Check our Amir’s review.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are patient and willing to buy used, your $500 opens you up to speakers that are $1,000 used. Hifi shark is great for searching.

I agree with the others, that the Revel M16 is really hard to beat if you get them.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom