• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget setup check

Eddie75

Hi to all,

I'm planning to buy my first hifi set. I'd like to ask you whether the combination of the hardware is good - whether it works together, but also whether I can improve something (or whether something is a needless overkill) within the similar budget.

So here is my planned setup:

Turntable: Rega Planar P2
Pre-amp: Cambridge Audio CP1 or Pro-ject Phono Box S2
Amplifier/receiver: Cambridge Audio AXR100 or Yamaha A-S501 or Onkyo A-9130 or Marantz PM6007 (advice welcomed)
Speakers: Elac Debut B6.2 (or possibly DBR62, if I find some extra cash)

The whole set is bought mainly for playing my vinyls (everything you can imagine from classical music to rap), but I'd like to connect my TV via optical cable and possibly CD/DVD player via optical or coaxial cable.

I will have this set in a 31,5 sq. meters/340 sq. ft. room, but due to other equipment, not in the center. Investments in some sound dampening will be a must.

One more thing - due to the room setup, I will have to have a cable from the pre-amp to the amplifier around almost the whole room - about 20 metres/66 feet of cable. Is that doable? And do I need some special type of cable or some higher class pre-amp?

All tips and recommendations welcomed!

Thanks!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a budget?

jae

Major Contributor
Do you own any pieces already? A quick google search is showing all this added up is much more than $1500..?

OP
Eddie75

Eddie75

Yeah, you're right... I'm convrrting that from Czech prices in Czech Crowns. Anyway, let's say 1800 USD is about the limit (all these components fit in this amount)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay so my first thought is, you want too much stuff for your budget.

Maybe look at active speakers. That will save on pre and power amps. Then the turntable, give that some big thought, it’s a huge expense for little return.

What will your main source be, phone , tablet, computer?

Sputnik

One more thing - due to the room setup, I will have to have a cable from the pre-amp to the amplifier around almost the whole room - about 20 metres/66 feet of cable. Is that doable? And do I need some special type of cable or some higher class pre-amp?

You could go balanced, Ifi Zen Phono and an amp that has balanced input. The Zen is pretty cheap, but for an amp with balanced in, you might have to go a step up.

Zek

Major Contributor
I will have to have a cable from the pre-amp to the amplifier around almost the whole room - about 20 metres/66 feet
That is a very long length for an interconnect cable.
Can't you organize the devices in the room differently?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more thing - due to the room setup, I will have to have a cable from the pre-amp to the amplifier around almost the whole room - about 20 metres/66 feet of cable. Is that doable? And
Another good reason to consider active speakers.

OP
Eddie75

Eddie75

You could go balanced, Ifi Zen Phono and an amp that has balanced input. The Zen is pretty cheap, but for an amp with balanced in, you might have to go a step up.
Ifi Zen Phono is availible here, but a tiny bit over what I intended to spend on a preamp.
What amp do you have in mind, for example?

OP
Eddie75

Eddie75

Another good reason to consider active speakers.
I'm not sure how they would help me here - turntable (as the primary source) with the preamp will be on one side of the room, TV, speakers and amp/receiver on the other, with no other choice to connect them than to set the cable around the whole room.

Tremolo

Turntable: Rega Planar P2
Pre-amp: Cambridge Audio CP1 or Pro-ject Phono Box S2
Amplifier/receiver: Cambridge Audio AXR100 or Yamaha A-S501 or Onkyo A-9130 or Marantz PM6007 (advice welcomed)
Speakers: Elac Debut B6.2 (or possibly DBR62, if I find some extra cash)
You don't need a phono pre, all the amps you plan to buy have integrated phono stage.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how they would help me here - turntable (as the primary source) with the preamp will be on one side of the room, TV, speakers and amp/receiver on the other, with no other choice to connect them than to set the cable around the whole room.
Many active speakers are balanced so cable length from a DAC won’t matter.

If turntable is your primary source I can’t help.

Recluse-Animator

If you don't want active speakers then I would recommend skipping the preamp, integrated or 2 channel amp and buying a cheap AVR so you have more money to spend on speakers where you would actually hear a difference.
Then you would also have the possibility to ad a subwoofer and more speakers if you want to do a home theater.

Last edited:

formdissolve

Forum Donor
If you can find a good used Pioneer PLX-1000, I'd say it's a better deal than that Rega.

Top Bottom