• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget preamp + amp for two outdoor speakers

glucenag

Hey there, audio cats!

So I'm planning to set up a pair of DT AW6500 on my terrace (here: https://www.definitivetechnology.com/en-us/product/outdoor/aw6500). At the source / networking end, I use Roon so I'm comfy with a Raspberry Pi 3 + HAT DAC (there are various options but that is not the point here). What I am looking for is something to conveniently bridge between the HAT DAC's output and the speakers, which are passive.

I don't need much on the feature side: volume control, and that's about it. Ideally, I want it to be not huge and not heating up too much, but other than that, since we're talking terrace music, I don't feel like I need a super premium beast that takes the distortionless crown, etc. Something decent, that's it.

Obviously I've been through the reviews here and the Yamaha WXA-50 would do the job for under 500$, but I feel like I am paying for a lot of functionalities I won't be using. Is there anything you guys would recommend under that price tag?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
G

glucenag

Damn it I forgot about Topping! Of course! The MX5 seems really nice, with USB audio input too (if I understand correctly), so I can even spare myself the HAT DAC part and connect the Raspberry Pi to it. I wonder if the 70Wx2 @ 4 Ohm is going to be OK with the speakers I chose though; any opinion on that?

EDIT: also, thank you for replying! :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn it I forgot about Topping! Of course! The MX5 seems really nice, with USB audio input too (if I understand correctly), so I can even spare myself the HAT DAC part and connect the Raspberry Pi to it. I wonder if the 70Wx2 @ 4 Ohm is going to be OK with the speakers I chose though; any opinion on that?

EDIT: also, thank you for replying! :)
I've been searching for an outside amp as well. I don't need volume. I just connect a Airport Express to the inputs and use an iPad as source.

OP
G

glucenag

I see. Yeah that's a cool setup as well. I do like having volume somewhere though. Would you have any opinion on how adequate the MX5 from Topping is for those Definitive Technology speakers I mentioned? By the way, what outdoor speakers did you go for?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. Yeah that's a cool setup as well. I do like having volume somewhere though. Would you have any opinion on how adequate the MX5 from Topping is for those Definitive Technology speakers I mentioned? By the way, what outdoor speakers did you go for?
I just use a pair of Paradigm Micro 3. They double for basement or outside.

OP
G

glucenag

Cool.

Any opinon on pairing that Topping MX5 amp with the Definitive Tech AW65000 speakers?

Top Bottom