• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

budget powered desktop speakers

wadec22

Hey guys. Looking for some new speakers:
  • 9" tall or shorter to fit under monitor(s)
  • budget of $250 or less
  • Prefer close to neutral sounding - just everyday usage though, not mixing or anything

Thinking maybe the Mackie CR3 just because they are so cheap (blue trim, that green is terrible). Thoughts?

OP
wadec22

wadec22

not really since I can do any serious listening on my headphones.

Cofra

I would recommend you to take a look at PreSonus Eris E4.5

A bit to tall but you can likely solve that.

(I own both Mackie CR3's and the above mentioned).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's somewhat outside the budget, but the Vanatoo Transparent 0 (review) have the best bass extension for the size I'm aware of and have a ton of features/connectivity. They are expensive compared to the usual budget recommendations but after living with them on my desktop for a few months I love them a lot.

OP
wadec22

wadec22

It's somewhat outside the budget, but the Vanatoo Transparent 0 (review) have the best bass extension for the size I'm aware of and have a ton of features/connectivity. They are expensive compared to the usual budget recommendations but after living with them on my desktop for a few months I love them a lot.
That review has me tempted to spend lol

Krunok

Major Contributor
Keep in mind that any speaker that small will have extremely limited bass extension / output. Is that a problem?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Well, that really depends - check these little guys. I wouldn't really call that "extremely limited bass extension". :)

Measured with UMIK-1 and REW, after EQ with BruteFIR on Volumio (more on that coming soon):

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Hey guys. Looking for some new speakers:
  • 9" tall or shorter to fit under monitor(s)
  • budget of $250 or less
  • Prefer close to neutral sounding - just everyday usage though, not mixing or anything

Thinking maybe the Mackie CR3 just because they are so cheap (blue trim, that green is terrible). Thoughts?

AudioEngine A2+
I have the A5+ which I bought @ $200 in a close-out on Dec-2016, I'd like to recommend these - but maybe too tall for your installation : 10" 3/4 ...
Them, both, the A2+ and A5+, offer a much more "serious" sound than any other compact 5" woofer speaker of the sort of Mackie, PreSonus, Yamaha ... AFAMEAC
The front-ported design in a big advantage for desktop installation as you can minimize the rear panel clearance, if you need so.
https://audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a2-plus-desktop-speakers/

OP
wadec22

wadec22

I am mad at you for blowing my budget. But after 24 hours with them - WOW. I love these things!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am mad at you for blowing my budget. But after 24 hours with them - WOW. I love these things!
They are impressively good sounding last time I heard them at a show. They are good people who are part of our local audiophile society.

Top Bottom