• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Near Field Monitors/Speakers

Critterkid

Hello ASR Community,

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping that I am posting this in the right area, but I am looking for some budget friendly near field monitors/speakers for my office. I am looking to spend $200-$250 for the pair.

I have recently been dipping my toe into the audio world and have gotten myself the following;

Headphones - Sennheiser HD 6XX
Headphone Amp - JDS Labs Atom
DAC - Topping D10

I'm not sure what would pair nicely with the equipment that I already have, but I really appreciate the help!

Thank you in advance!

sherm137

I'm also interested in this one. I'm looking for powered desktop speakers near the same price-range (max budget of $300). @amirm any thoughts on speakers for us to look at?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
You have a fundamental choice to make: Active, line driven with built-in amplifiers, or Passive - conventional unpowered speakers requiring a separate stereo amplifier.

Here is one suggestion for Passives that meet your budget:
First, the amplifier:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html
Impossible to beat for $149 imo.

Speakers:
Neumi bs5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZDS9LF/ $90
These tested out great in a very thorough review by @hardisj :
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumi-bs5-bookshelf-speaker-review.14404/

Another possibility, but a bit over your budget, might be the Infinity. R152. They are currently on sale - but I suggest there is a very good chance price will revert to List on Monday.. $160 today.

I am not a fan of actives - so no thoughts there. But others are, and will certainly have suggestions.

Good Luck!

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Focal Alpha 50 for nearfield... It's 250€ for one but very often at 160€ one. More than your budget, but I think it's a nice little pair of active monitors.
Ha well, in Europe... Do not know the price in your country.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own the same DAC and amp as you and the HD 6XX is in my headphone collection. I'm looking to expand as you are. I'm thinking JBL 305p MK II monitors at $150 each. But, they could use a balanced DAC to drive them, the Soncoz LA-QXD1. Which could be connected to the D10 digital coax out. That puts the price at $200 above budget. However, from what I've read on this forum, it would be hard to do much better, for a desktop system.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Do note that things JBL and Kali generally aren't particularly low-noise. If excessive hiss makes you throw a hissy-fit, consider e.g. some Mackie HR524s.

The problem with most active studio monitors on a PC is that you are almost guaranteed to run into ground loop issues. If you are capable of doing so, soldering your own adapter cables would be the most cost-effective way of handling this, given that the only premade RCA-XLR cable I know that actually makes use of the balanced input as such costs a few hundred. Otherwise expect some extra expense for a line isolator (e.g.: RCA -> 1/4" TS unbalanced cables + Behringer HD400 + 1/4" TRS --> XLR balanced cables, probably close to $50).

I haven't found the ideal office speakers either. Tried last year with some JBL 104s, which work OK but when measured were found to have rather lousy dispersion and which emanate a bit of hiss (though not nearly as much as 305s, apparently - makes sense given the passive crossover). Can't someone make something $200-250-ish / pair with one front power switch, one front volume control, unbalanced inputs (plus maybe balanced ones) that work fine, low hiss, a decent spinorama performance and maybe not entirely terrible drivers? I don't even mind running two sets of speaker leads between units. At one point I was close to considering some Genelec 8010s (2-prong mains cord like ADAM T series), but at >500€ the pair with no front volume or power this seemed rather too decadent. Some folks over here are using the Nubert nuBox A-125 set (375 €), no idea how they measure though.

Last edited:

sherm137

I ordered some Vanatoo Transparent Zeros tonight. A little over my budget but the general consensus seems go be very good with them. They also have an optic input so I can use my Modi 3 DAC to easily switch inputs for my headphones and now these speakers.

I will report back.

I didn't need anything perfect but something pretty good. I hopefully found that.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I ordered some Vanatoo Transparent Zeros tonight. A little over my budget but the general consensus seems go be very good with them. They also have an optic input so I can use my Modi 3 DAC to easily switch inputs for my headphones and now these speakers.

I will report back.

I didn't need anything perfect but something pretty good. I hopefully found that.
Amir's bench test showed that they have quite a lot of treble but he adds: "Company tells me this is a random sample pulled out and its tweeter is hotter than what it should be." The NoAudiophile review shows a more neutral response. Hope you get a good pair!

sherm137

Amir's bench test showed that they have quite a lot of treble but he adds: "Company tells me this is a random sample pulled out and its tweeter is hotter than what it should be." The NoAudiophile review shows a more neutral response. Hope you get a good pair!
I saw that. Most reviews I have seen don't mention the treble issue, and I saw NoAudiophile's measurements. They seem to be really good subjectively and objectively. The built-in EQ is a huge plus.

aac

Find some good used amplifier, find some decent used speakers.
Avoid active speakers for listening at close distances (few exceptions exist, but they are probably more expensive)

sherm137

Find some good used amplifier, find some decent used speakers.
Avoid active speakers for listening at close distances (few exceptions exist, but they are probably more expensive)
I would but room on the desk is an issue.

ari

Forum Donor
I ordered some Vanatoo Transparent Zeros tonight.
I will report back.
Could you please post back and let us know if there is any hiss/buzz when they Vanatoo speakers are turned on and you're not playing any music?

OP
C

Critterkid

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for the suggestions and great discussion! I think that powered would best fit my needs due to desk space being an issue.

I don’t think I will be purchasing anything at the moment, but will be doing more research into a product that fits my needs.

Thanks again!

ari

Forum Donor
Sherm, did the speakers end up hissing/buzzing when not playing music? I read the JBLs and other powered speakers to.
Any thoughts on running the Vantoo's from the built-in-DAC (e.g. connect by USB) vs the analog inputs?

sherm137

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for the suggestions and great discussion! I think that powered would best fit my needs due to desk space being an issue.

I don’t think I will be purchasing anything at the moment, but will be doing more research into a product that fits my needs.

Thanks again!
I think the Vanatoo Transparent Zero could be a good option for you. The reviews have been outstanding across the board. They are pretty small so they fit well for a desk. I'm getting mine in later today.

sherm137

Sherm, did the speakers end up hissing/buzzing when not playing music? I read the JBLs and other powered speakers to.
Any thoughts on running the Vantoo's from the built-in-DAC (e.g. connect by USB) vs the analog inputs?
No buzzing or hissing. If you turn them up really loud, it's not 100% black noise. There is a very, VERY faint static type of sound. Hard to describe, but definitely no buzzing or hissing.

I have it hooked up to my DAC which is connect to my PC. Their shouldn't be a ground loop with them as it's only a two-prong power cord.

Super happy with them so far.

Top Bottom