• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget (max 60$) portable DAC in aliexpres

Smislov

Browsing AliExpress I came across portable dac and decided to look at those up to 60$. What is your opinion on this gadget at this price?

ibasso dc01 50$
iBasso dc01

TempoTec Sonata HD TYPE C to 3.5MM Headphone Amplifier Adapter DAC for Android Phone PC MAC 30$
TempoTec Sonata hd

HIDIZS Sonata HD DAC II Hi-Res USB DAC Type C to 3.5mm Headphone Amplifier Adapter for Android Phone PC MAC Audio Cable 32$
Sonata

Fiio i1 (Fi 1123) Amplifier DAC with Microphone made for iPhone X / iPhone 8 Lightning plug To 3.5mm stereo jack 49$
Fiio i1

new Original Meizu type-c interface HIFI decoding amp high performance DAC chip hifi sound quality 3.5mm 36$
Original Meizu

Lusya SA9023A + ES9018K2M USB portable DAC HIFI fever external amplifier audio card decoder for Computer Android Set Box A6-017 21$
Lusya

A1 Portable Mini DSD ES9028Q2M HiFi USB Audio decoder With Headphone Amplifier DAC for PC and Phone Android system 35$
A1 portable DSD

Kaisaya SA9226 ES9028Q2M DSD USB Decoder DAC 3.5mm Audio Output 32Bit 192KHz for PC Android Phone Pad HIFI amplifier G8-011 40$
Kaisaya

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 'problem' with any of these devices is the performance and proper operation of all of these devices can be all over the place.
Using reputable DAC chips says nothing about how well they were implemented.

Some may measure pretty well others may not. Impossible to know for certain when they haven't been measured.

Seeing that a $9.- dongle DAC performs/measures well indicates that it is very well possible to make something decent in that price class but is no guarantee other dongle DACs perform equally well or even better.

Svperstar

I wouldn't trust any of them. So much stuff comes off Ali and is trash. Someone on reddit I think had a portable device start smoking in their pocket.

sajunky

Nice find, but this one is still AK4490 model. iBasso Web site tips out that it was a chip in the previous DC01 version. The latest DC01 comes with AK4493, so maybe need to wait little bit.

Alternative Meizu, or Musiland with the 'same' Cirrus Logic chip MU2s. Also, the same story, wait litle bit. There is a new version of premium MU2 product (with control buttons), now in black. Two Musiland models were reviewed on ASR, both had excellent meassurements.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ion-cable-MU1-upgrade/816277_33041585390.html
On ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273909001809
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254293286604

Currently these AKM and Cirrus Logic chip look the most modern and appealing. I personally start looking for a DAC like this: Nobsound Mini HiFi Sound Card DAC TDA1387 USB 8X Audio Decoding Headphone Amplifier
HTB19jPSXovrK1RjSszfq6xJNVXaK.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpg
EDIT: Interface chip on this photo is apparently blown.:cool:

Last edited:

jmwant

Forum Donor
Recommend the Hidizs S3, hidisz latest portable DAC
iBasso DC02 is latest portable DAC too.
Meizu HiFi DAC Pro launched yesterday. Hope help

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am going for TempoTec Sonata iDSD on black Friday as it will be 49$.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33000...d=2583amp-pWJoc4U7BVQd1Im9z6bTYA1572380068782
I didn't found actual measurements for it but I did found a half decent review:
https://nobsaudiophile.wordpress.co...amp-audiophile-sound-at-philanthropist-price/
& I found disassembly of iDSD Pro unit which whose very convincing for me regarding quality. Basically all component's are hi grade & so is PCB.
https://moisescardona.me/new-tempotec-sonata-idsd-plus-teardown/?amp
By the way both iDSD & iDSD are built as tanks with steel holders which somehow goes against their portable purpose but I don't mind it's heavy as long it fit's the pocket & it's durable. As I whose curios how good it could really be & how much power it could deliver I tried to found something similar but more popular so I found now much hiped DragonFly Cobalt review. It dose come with newer Sabre DAC but that's less relevant & we already know of what the ES9018K2M, is capable of if implemented good (LG G7 ThinQ review), the Sabre AMP (SABRE9601) which is the same one whose more of a topic I wanted to look into.
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/objective-audioquest-dragonfly-cobalt-review-r832/
I whose surprised in low grade components used in something such expensive. At the end I reacon iDSD can only be better than any of DragonFly's thanks to its engineering approach, used components, separated battery power supply & input for it. Its not mind blowing & nothing fancy but it ticks the all right boxes for me of what I really need & that it doesn't suck the phone battery so definitely going for one.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Question on the tempotec sonata idsd...I'm interested to get this as an ESS dac and feed it to an amp. Does it support fixed line-out or it uses the headphone out to connect to the amp?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Question on the tempotec sonata idsd...I'm interested to get this as an ESS dac and feed it to an amp. Does it support fixed line-out or it uses the headphone out to connect to the amp?
Classic 3.5 mm headphone out only. Actually two of those but that's not very useful as it does produce noise if both used. Still SABRE9601 dose qualify as A-B grade & it doesn't go wild on lo Ohm's so you can use it a as a very good pre-amp. Check it in the DragonFly Cobalt review measurements i mentioned.

Best regards.

raif71

Major Contributor
Classic 3.5 mm headphone out only. Actually two of those but that's not very useful as it does produce noise if both used. Still SABRE9601 dose qualify as A-B grade & it doesn't go wild on lo Ohm's so you can use it a as a very good pre-amp. Check it in the DragonFly Cobalt review measurements i mentioned.

Best regards.
It's a pity it doesn't have fixed line-out. Maybe I'll just get a khadas tone board for the ESS flavor. All my other DACs are AKM based. Would like to have an ESS for a change.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It's a pity it doesn't have fixed line-out. Maybe I'll just get a khadas tone board for the ESS flavor. All my other DACs are AKM based. Would like to have an ESS for a change.
Well this ESS DAC is just good enough & pretty much dirty cheap nowadays. Somehow I like this ESS AMP as I have been searching for quite some time for something that would be good at driving sensitive EMI's (primarily my Aurvanu Air's which I also grabbed for a bargaining price). Target whose 50 mV for 30~40 Ohms this delivers 75. All those dongles usually only go 30~35 mV. We will see how it goes, cheers mate.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I bounced up to CS43198 mini DAC with RCA out and separate USB power input if you are interested. It goes for 100$, Brand is relatively new & this is their first "budget" product, they did score some editorial awards for other products.
https://www.aurisaudio.shop/collections/digital/products/earmen-donald-dac
Kvak says duck.

raif71

Major Contributor
Top Bottom