• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Hi-Fi for open concept living room

weasels

I'm looking for advice on a couple of things:

1) A main system for the living room. My budget is unfortunately pretty tight (2 kids in college) - I'd love to get 2 kinds of suggestions, one at ~$500, and one at ~$800.

I've got an L-shaped open concept living room that's 30' on it's long axis and 20' on it's shorter axis.

About 13 years ago I had a pair of B&W 604s being run off of a Denon AVR. I moved to the UK for a few years and sold the whole kit. 10 years ago I moved back to the US, and still haven't replaced my main system. I've been using a Denon bedroom hi-fi as my "main" system and it has been great for what it is... but it is a bedroom system.

2) I have a similarly old set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 as my computer speakers. 10 years ago this was about as good as you could expect for reasonable money. I have to believe there are better options now. I think I spent $300 on them new, would like something in the $200-$300 range.

For both I'm open to both active or passive setups. Right now I do virtually all of my music listening through a Topping D10 & Schiit Modi 3, using either Sennheiser 6XX or Grado 325 headphones. I like both headphones for different reasons.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but my top 5 most listened right now are: Alt/Indie (Radiohead, Lucy Dacus), Hip Hop (Run the Jewels, Lauss the Cat, Ocean Wisdom), standard classical (Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Bartok), Bossa Nova (Gilberto, Jobim, etc.), and golden age Jazz (Davis, Monk, Parker, etc.)

All suggestions are appreciated.

Willem

Major Contributor
This is what I would buy here in Europe: Elac DBR62 speakers and a Yamaha AS501 amplifier. At EU prices it would be roughly inside your budget (marginaly over it), but I am not sure about US prices.

OP
W

weasels

This is what I would buy here in Europe: Elac DBR62 speakers and a Yamaha AS501 amplifier. At EU prices it would be roughly inside your budget (marginaly over it), but I am not sure about US prices.

It looks like I could fit in the Yamaha AS301 in my budget - would the drop from 85 wpc to 60 wpc make a big difference? As I understand it the DBR62s are rated at 6ohms, so 60wpc at 8ohms would be more like 90?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Seems pretty good size room..I might follow the traditional advice and blow most of budget on speakers. The Infinity R263 are still available at $299 ea. - about same as DBR62:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/REFERENCE+263.html

Then add the Yamaha RS202 at $149:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

Add networking /streaming with an Echo Input (sometimes $10), Chromecast, or TracFone with bubbleupnp...But there is Bluetooth alternatively.. (and line out from your Magni 3)

Later, you can upgrade the electronics if you go 5.1 with more speakers etc. But your basic L & R R263 can be built upon.. Electronics obsolete quick..Speakers, not so much..

Last edited:
OP
W

weasels

Seems pretty good size room..I might follow the traditional advice and blow most of budget on speakers. The Infinity R263 are still available at $299 ea. - about same as DBR62:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/REFERENCE+263.html

Then add the Yamaha RS202 at $149:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

Add networking /streaming with an Echo Input (sometimes $10), Chromecast, or TracFone with bubbleupnp...But there is Bluetooth alternatively.. (and line out from your Magni 3)

Later, you can upgrade the electronics if you go 5.1 with more speakers etc. But your basic L & R R263 can be built upon.. Electronics obsolete quick..Speakers, not so much..

This seems like sound advice. I'm reading up on the Elacs and they seem universally well received - and are attractive which will matter to my spouse. I'm curious what the difference is between the RS202 and the AS301, so will focus some research there.

Are there any powered speakers that I should also consider?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
difference is between the RS202 and the AS301

If you can afford the AS301, and don't need the RS202 bluetooth, my guess is the AS301 has more continuous output margin, though the RS202 likely has enough. I'd spring for the AS301.

The AS301 is a variety of Yamahas TopArt topology. Been around for 20 years and well proven. Amir tested one of the 20+ year old versions - the RX-596. (Other less powerful varients are the RX-496, 396)

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/yamaha-rx-596-receiver-review.10344/

All these can be found on shopgoodwill.com if you are patient for $20-$50, though the 596 is getting harder to find.

I'm listening to Amazon Music, Amber Rubarth on my BR system - R162 and Goodwill RX-396 , Echo Input, - right now..

Personally, I like passive speakers and separate amps - where I can replace either. Not one for actives..

Last edited:
Top Bottom