• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget headphone amp for beginner.

SyahmiApollo

Firsly i like to say hi to all member community here. I am new in this forum. Recently i discover how great is audiophile headphone. I decided to try experience it myself. I want a recommendation on a budget amp for a starter. Im gonna use it for gaming and listen to music. My headphone that im gonna try maybe HD560s or Sundara for starter and a few IEM then im going the rabbit hole if it great. Upon my research many recommend Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy and JDS Lab Atom. Sadly in my country dont sell both amp. So i need other recommendation that got enough power to power a planar like Sundara and maybe more. My preference is a clean amp and if support 3.8mm is good because im still beginner in audio to try 4.4mm and other. Hope you guys can guide me to it.

PS: maybe a late reply to you all because of internet connection and sorry if my english is not good.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Firsly i like to say hi to all member community here. I am new in this forum. Recently i discover how great is audiophile headphone. I decided to try experience it myself. I want a recommendation on a budget amp for a starter. Im gonna use it for gaming and listen to music. My headphone that im gonna try maybe HD560s or Sundara for starter and a few IEM then im going the rabbit hole if it great. Upon my research many recommend Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy and JDS Lab Atom. Sadly in my country dont sell both amp. So i need other recommendation that got enough power to power a planar like Sundara and maybe more. My preference is a clean amp and if support 3.8mm is good because im still beginner in audio to try 4.4mm and other. Hope you guys can guide me to it.

PS: maybe a late reply to you all because of internet connection and sorry if my english is not good.
Then welcome to the forum.

Schiit is good, Atom too, I can recommend both from my own experience.
HiFi-Express and Amazon currently have unbeatable offers for the Sabaj A10h headphone amplifier under $100 and A20h under $130 (the better choice given the smaller difference, and also more powerful).
Alternatively, the Topping L30 II.

Last edited:

Puzzle

It you don't mind put it on desk, fiio K7 for sure, it has balanced out put, but its SE is still acceptable. it's 200 usd and I cannot think of any competitor at this price range. It contains bot dac and amp. Topping's may perform better but they are more expensive in pairs, like E30+L30 II

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
S.M.S.L. offerings good to look at too. I'm impressed with their new stuff. Don't have any headphone amps of theirs, though. Use Schiit and JDS labs equipment for most of my headphone time.

OP
S

SyahmiApollo

Then welcome to the forum.

Schiit is good, Atom too, I can recommend both from my own experience.
HiFi-Express and Amazon currently have unbeatable offers for the Sabaj A10h headphone amplifier under $100 and A20h under $130 (the better choice given the smaller difference, and also more powerful).
Alternatively, the Topping L30 II.
Hi @Roland68 . Thanks for recommendation. Im look into Sabaj A10h and Topping L30 II. Discover it amazing. But i cant get Sabaj in my country so im gonna put my list on Topping. Upon my research on Topping seem like the 1st gen got an issue that can fry your headphone. I hope this one doesnt have the issue. My country is Malaysia and we are a bit behind in audio stuff make it difficult to get certain product. Thanks for taking your time to guide me a bit.

OP
S

SyahmiApollo

It you don't mind put it on desk, fiio K7 for sure, it has balanced out put, but its SE is still acceptable. it's 200 usd and I cannot think of any competitor at this price range. It contains bot dac and amp. Topping's may perform better but they are more expensive in pairs, like E30+L30 II
Hi @Puzzle . Sorry to say that 200 USD is out of my budget. So im not gonna go for it. Thanks for your time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@SyahmiApollo the Schiit Heresy is the best value and highest power output for around $100. If you add one to the cart at the Schiit website then do the shipping estimate you will see that Malaysia and many other countries are listed for shipping destinations.

OP
S

SyahmiApollo

S.M.S.L. offerings good to look at too. I'm impressed with their new stuff. Don't have any headphone amps of theirs, though. Use Schiit and JDS labs equipment for most of my headphone time.
Hi @Joe Smith . I do look into SMSL HO100 and SH-6. Found out Joshua Valour on Youtube recommend SH-6 make it look interesting amp to put on my list. Thanks for your time.

OP
S

SyahmiApollo

@SyahmiApollo the Schiit Heresy is the best value and highest power output for around $100. If you add one to the cart at the Schiit website then do the shipping estimate you will see that Malaysia and many other countries are listed for shipping destinations.
Hi @Doodski . I just look into it. Surprisingly it did. But with price + the shipping cost become $150-$180 not include tax/custom fee make me wonder is this still worth it? Because Topping L30 II is cost $150 fix in my country. So i will try contact custom and ask them how much it cost. Hope there is no charge on it.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi @Roland68 . Thanks for recommendation. Im look into Sabaj A10h and Topping L30 II. Discover it amazing. But i cant get Sabaj in my country so im gonna put my list on Topping. Upon my research on Topping seem like the 1st gen got an issue that can fry your headphone. I hope this one doesnt have the issue. My country is Malaysia and we are a bit behind in audio stuff make it difficult to get certain product. Thanks for taking your time to guide me a bit.
Then I would personally prefer the L30 II. It makes no sense to pay more for the Schiit (not meant to be a pun;))
Hifi-Express normally ships from China to Malaysia for free.
The Sabaj A10h costs $75.99 and the A20h costs $119.99.
Both have the relay based volume control with remote control, but the A20h is significantly more powerful and a true balanced amp with a similar gain stage to the A90 and L70 so worth at least twice as much, more like three times.

Top Bottom