• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Headphone Amp +DAC ~100$

andrewb

Hi, I'm looking for a budget friendly ~100$ amp and DAC for my headhphones. I have some aiff music and it sounds distorted and all over the place. I have the HyperX Cloud I, but I'll upgrade them in the future. I can also provide specs in needed. Thank you !

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your Budget is between how many $$$ and how many $$$?

OP
A

andrewb

That was really useful. I found the Q1MK2 and the E10k at really reasonable prices in my country. Which one is the better one ? (considering that one day I'll also upgrade my headphones. Basically I'm looking for the most "future proof" amp.)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Take a look at these, they are all around $100
+1 All great recommendations by @Count Arthur

$100 today buys you any one of those excellent amps - leaving $$ to put toward where it really makes a difference - your Headphones.
Suggest do some research before buy. A decision point will be closed (like your HyperX appears to be?) And Planar magnetic, or conventional voice coil. A good place to browse is @solderdude site: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

I have the Liquid Spark and am quite happy with it with my HE400i phones. Good build quality, plenty of power. Doesn't measure as well as some others, and not a lot of Love around here for it, but IMO underrated.

Have fun!

OP
A

andrewb

+1 All great recommendations by @Count Arthur

$100 today buys you any one of those excellent amps - leaving $$ to put toward where it really makes a difference - your Headphones.
Suggest do some research before buy. A decision point will be closed (like your HyperX appears to be?) And Planar magnetic, or conventional voice coil. A good place to browse is @solderdude site: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

I have the Liquid Spark and am quite happy with it with my HE400i phones. Good build quality, plenty of power. Doesn't measure as well as some others, and not a lot of Love around here for it, but IMO underrated.

Have fun!
Thank you but currently, as I said I have my mind on the Q1 MK2 or E10K. When the time comes I'll upgrade my headphones. Taking baby steps.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I just realised, none of the amps I suggested have a DAC, also, do you need this for portable use?

OP
A

andrewb

do you need this for portable use?
Not necessarily, but it would be nice. I've decided on the Q1. But if there is anything better I am all ears. As for the headphones probably ATHm40 or ATHm60, or the MDR-7506 or even hd25. I know they aren't pretty good headphone and are considered monitors but they are comfortable.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
There's always something better - and more expensive. :)

I don't know anything about m40 or m60, I'm not even sure what brand they are, and I don't have any personal experience with the MDR-7506 or HD25, but the fact that they've both been around largely unchanged for several decades, is probably a good sign.

Top Bottom