• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget HD800? Soundstage & comfort recommendation, please!

lain

Title says it all! What inexpensive headphones have you tried whose soundstage and comfort blew you away? As long as it isn't wonky beyond repair, don't worry about sound signature, as I'll probably Harmanize them. Neutral is better. I've found recommendations for the AKG K612 PRO, AKG K702, Philips SHP 9500. I can't go to a physical store and put them on, unfortunately.

For reference, I own the HE400SE, which sounds beautiful and completely satisfying to me with EQ.

roladyzator

Since recently I've been using a second-hand Sennheiser HD700 and compared to K702, they seem to create a more spacious and enveloping sound, at least when using the original pads.

Without EQ they sound very, very off, though.

Or you can add some convolution with room impulse responses that have some added reverb and ambiance. I like the Joe Bloggs natural crossfeed (50 degrees) and his Natural Surround equalizer APO configuration. Both can be converted to HeSuVI format with some effort.

I experimented with professional effects like this (DearVR Mix, Realphones, Out of your head) and his sounds the best to me.

oleg87

I'm one of the people who doesn't perceive anything special with headphones reputed to have an impressive soundstage but I often see the HD560s come up in these discussions, so consider adding that to your list of contenders.

Dazerdoreal

Beyerdynamic DT880 sounds and graphs similarly.
I guess it is not the FR but the soundstage of the HD800 he is looking for. The comfort of the 880s is good but I wouldnt recommend them if someone is particularly looking for soundstage. My AKG 702 is clearly better in that aspect (to my ears). Others might perceive that differently though.

If the OP doesnt EQ I definetely wouldnt recommend the AKG 702 but the AKG 612 though. Less shouty according to graphs, and I would expect that the soundstage is about the same.

Sombreuil

Surprised not one mentioned the HD 598s.
When it comes to comfort they are unbeatable and soundstage is on the big/large side.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Title says it all! What inexpensive headphones have you tried whose soundstage and comfort blew you away? As long as it isn't wonky beyond repair, don't worry about sound signature, as I'll probably Harmanize them. Neutral is better. I've found recommendations for the AKG K612 PRO, AKG K702, Philips SHP 9500. I can't go to a physical store and put them on, unfortunately.

For reference, I own the HE400SE, which sounds beautiful and completely satisfying to me with EQ.
HD8xx from Drop or even way cheaper HD6xx which I love.

GM3

Surprised not one mentioned the HD 598s.
When it comes to comfort they are unbeatable and soundstage is on the big/large side.
Isn't the 560 more of a mini hd800? Not sure if the 598 would qualify as having a soundstage that will blow you away... I own them, don't think I ever recall being impressed about their soundstage... Not that it's bad, just not 'wow!'. They're super comfortable, incredibly light. They're good midfi headphones for sure, for $100 they're a good value, but I don't think their sound will blow away anyone. Much more midfi than hifi, ex; vs 400i they definitely lack detail/resolution.

usern

What inexpensive headphones have you tried whose soundstage and comfort blew you away?
560S

Having owned 10 pairs (including Aeon 2 Noire, DT 880 600 Ohm, HD660S) I would consider 560S as end game. Only headphones that might peak my interest would be actual HD800.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

spede

Had AKG 712 PRO in days back and always trough it as poor mans HD800.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
560S

Having owned 10 pairs (including Aeon 2 Noire, DT 880 600 Ohm, HD660S) I would consider 560S as end game. Only headphones that might peak my interest would be actual HD800.
Yeah, I don't think you can go far wrong with an EQ'd HD560s. I've probably capped out with that one, but may try one of the more expensive open backed DCA's in the future, but no rush. Praps I'll wait for some new generations of DCA open backed headphones that might incorporate some of what they learned from The Stealth & The Expanse in less costly models.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Judging by Crinacle Zero in your forum signature you really are a believer and you put your money where your mouth is. Very commendable. :)
I bought the Crinacle Zero because of Amir's review of it, the fact it measures very well. I wasn't disappointed by it, I was impressed! However, I've decided I can't really use IEM's, I don't like it pushing the ear wax back in, plus it made my ears sore after a while.....which might be solvable by finding an IEM that fits better, but I just don't really want to stick stuff in my ears. I bought them as a bit of an experiment, they do sound great though. Yeah, so me buying them has got nothing directly to do with the fact that they're associated with Crinacle or the fact he may have described the "Technical Grade" of them as whatever, I bought them due to Amir's review. I don't have a problem with Crinacle though (and I think he's a great asset for all his many headphone measurements he does), I don't follow his channels, but I wouldn't place much weight in his "Technical Grade Rating".

Top Bottom