• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget friendly DSP options for AVI DM10s

Oceanvibe

Hi all,

I currently have some AVI dm10 actives that I feed via an Apple TV 4K. I also have a chromecast audio. I would like to try a DSP solution, but I don’t have a lot of money to throw at this. I’d rather utilise the speakers internal dac if possible. This is currently 2 channel setup but I may add a sub soon.

my two ideas at the moment - 1. using something from minidsp or 2. getting a 2nd hand mini pc (NUC/Apple mini/alternative) and running Dirac or similar through the PC.

Although I work with computers and I’m fairly capable, I’m not exactly passionate enough to spend too long inputting code and finding faults! Also, the only computer in the house is a work laptop.

Looking at the minidsp options, it appears as though I’d need to use the DDRC-22D to feed a digital signal into the DM10’s internal dac. This option is quite costly.

I like the flexibility of the mini PC idea but ease of use and usability is the potential downside.

currently I’m considering purchasing a umik-1 and using my work laptop to trial the Dirac live vst.

Are there any other options I should consider? Any new standalone, budget friendly product due for release? Any insightful tips or experiences?

many thanks guys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom