• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget desktop disc (CD) player?

Smitty2k1

Any recommendations on an affordable, let's say less than $300, CD player?

My wishlist:
- digital output (transport)
- desktop form factor, e.g. not 17" wide
- reliable
- plays SACD? (This is bottom of the pile)
- under $300 new or used

I'm considering getting into buying CDs with the increasing costs of vinyl, affordability of CDs, and space at my new place to house physical media.

AaronJ

Shanling Tempo eC1B. I use it as a transport in my main rig. My primary criterion were similar to yours. Narrow, under $300, can be used as a transport. I’ve had it about a year without issue, but I have no expectation I could get support if it experienced a failure.

OP
S

Smitty2k1

Shanling Tempo eC1B. I use it as a transport in my main rig. My primary criterion were similar to yours. Narrow, under $300, can be used as a transport. I’ve had it about a year without issue, but I have no expectation I could get support if it experienced a failure.
Thanks this is the exact form factor I'm looking for. Available for $220 on AliExpress. Will be keeping me eye on this model. Runs fine off 110v? AliExpress listing says 220v.

UltraNearFieldJock

CD transport is a mechanical device, pay attention to the noise when placed on the desktop. Many cheap PC transports are very noisy and not suitable for near field listening. Used SONY and DENON CD/DVD players are excellent when it comes to mechanical noise. For example, I bought a Denon AVR 1610 for 30€ on eBay: Super thing with SPDIF output, SACD and multichannel capability, remote... OK, it is perhaps too big...

Top Bottom