• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget desk-mounted mic boom arm recommendations

aikofan

To reduce mic setup footprint, I was looking at desk clamped boom arms. However, it seems like good, professional quality units are well into the 3 figures USD. I really don’t want to spend more for a stand than the value of my modest MXL mic, so I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the cheaper models, like Monoprice or the Chinese brands on Amazon, that didn’t sag, break, shed lots of paint crumbs, overly resist adjustment, or suck really badly in another way.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently got one of these for a Rode NT2-A and while it sags a tiny bit, it's OK if you really tighten it. The mic also weighs 2lb before the shockmount and pop screen, so I think it's doing pretty well. Hasn't broken or fallen off the desk yet. I would say it's a pretty good value for what you pay, but don't expect Rolex quality for Casio prices, knamean? I can at least confirm it doesn't totally suck.

OP
aikofan

aikofan

I recently got one of these for a Rode NT2-A and while it sags a tiny bit, it's OK if you really tighten it. The mic also weighs 2lb before the shockmount and pop screen, so I think it's doing pretty well. Hasn't broken or fallen off the desk yet. I would say it's a pretty good value for what you pay, but don't expect Rolex quality for Casio prices, knamean? I can at least confirm it doesn't totally suck.

Wow, that’s a good price. I can’t find any manufacturer specs on length, but some review comments imply that each segment is about a foot. Does that sound accurate? If so, maybe I can look for a larger version of this.

graxxus

I've been rocking a medium InnoGear from Amazon since early Covid days which has been rock solid with a Rode NT-USB.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, that’s a good price. I can’t find any manufacturer specs on length, but some review comments imply that each segment is about a foot. Does that sound accurate? If so, maybe I can look for a larger version of this.
I would say each section is slightly longer than a foot. I have it mounted about 2 feet to my left and about 1 foot back from the front of the desk, and it reaches close enough to me. If you want to mount on the back of the desk you'll need something bigger.

Top Bottom