• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC

Rares

Hi guys! I would like to buy a DAC especially for gaming (75%) and music (25%). My list is short, so if somebody can help me choose the right product it'll be great:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, Audioengine D1, NAD DAC 2 or Fiio K3 ?

...or any other suggestions...

Thanks in advance...

georgeT

Don't mess around with 2 channel audio interfaces unless you have large speakers that don't require a high pass filter.
Get a Creative Soundblaster AE-5 and install APO EQ or Jriver Media Center. This allows you to create a digital crossover (for subwoofer) or apply high pass filter for your main speakers.

escalibur

DX3 Pro V2 LDAC would be my entry-level recommendation. Fiio K3 amp is quite weak imo.

Veri

Master Contributor
Fiio K5 Pro or Topping DX3 Pro would both work well for gaming, whichever is easier to acquire.

The DX3 is better objectively, but the few people I've heard from who bought the K5 pro are very happy with it.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Use the one on your motherboard and use the money you would have spent on a dac on a better pair of headphones or speakers.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the Fiio K3 for the same reasons you state. I decided buy some decent headphones (AKG K712Pro) and found that the Amp was lacking in the K3, so I added a JDS Atom. I then decided the DAC in the K3 could be better and pushed the button on a Topping D50s. The setup I now have is excellent for both music and gaming (I play PUBG). The AKG's have a wide sound stage, this helps to provide better positional cues for FPS gaming.

Top Bottom