• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review: Schiit Modi 2 ($99)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I also see they offer an ASIO download package though it isn't clear if it applies to the Modi. I wonder if performance improves with that? Very bottom of this page.
It does and this was the driver that I said was pain in the neck to install, requiring that the user set the switch on the device to "E." All my measurements are using ASIO under Foobar if you look at the bottom of the graph (in the first instance I misspelled it as ASIA instead of ASIO :) ).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think we do need an external DAC for most applications. There are next to no measurements of the DAC onboard computer motherboards used for music servers. $99 is not really much to spend for known, good quality interface to compliment a computer server.

Reactions: ron

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"The convincing case might well be the most expensive part of inexpensive DAC units. Then brand building ads and such."

And yet in this case there is little of this, beyond snarky naming and the reliable gullibility of the Computer Audiophile community.

Tim

I didn't notice my confusing language. By convincing case I meant literally the metal, pretty attractive case work. In other words the most expensive, and perhaps most convincing part of various DACs is not anything related to performance of the DAC at all. It is the casework, and its eye appeal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It does and this was the driver that I said was pain in the neck to install, requiring that the user set the switch on the device to "E." All my measurements are using ASIO under Foobar if you look at the bottom of the graph (in the first instance I misspelled it as ASIA instead of ASIO :) ).

Ah, so you did. Sorry for my sloppy reading of the results.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
In this day and age, when capable, reasonably transparent DACs are small parts of devices like phones, streamers, bluetooth speakers, etc., is any free-standing DAC, even at just $99, really a "budget" DAC? If it deserves a box of its own, it should be "hi fi." It should deliver something audibly superior to the DAC that is an incidental component of my phone. And this doesn't appear to do that. Schitt indeed. Five figure DACs in multiple boxes? Bullschitt.

Tim
I think you have just christened a new model, The ' BullSchiit'.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, Schiit do make a product called the 'Fulla'...

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Well, Schiit do make a product called the 'Fulla'...
Yes, and also the SchittList, on which I have placed the manufacturer. Seriously, this looks like a product conjured up, much like their ingenious, duh, name, in a casual heartbeat with no thought or care whatsoever in the implementation. Actually, the prophetic name and this product exemplify a total cynicism about computer audiophiles in general. If this is the best they can do at this price point, and if it were not true before, I would now quickly turn my back on any of their products at any price. Plainly pieces of Schitt.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think we do need an external DAC for most applications. There are next to no measurements of the DAC onboard computer motherboards used for music servers. $99 is not really much to spend for known, good quality interface to compliment a computer server.
Oh, I agree. Give me the isolation. Just give it to me in a simple box with a price appropriate to the product contained by it. Or better yet, give it to me with a nice headphone/pre, and with robust input and output options. That they can put in a nice box, because that Schmitt would be worth a few hundred dollars.

Tim

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holyschitt. I experienced a few guffaws of laughter. And my bladder may have slipped a bit.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I vote for standalone DAC.

Get one that works well, send all digits to it from all sources, and don't worry be happy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I want perfect sound forever
I want it all for just a few buck$
And I want it now. :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I want perfect sound forever
I want it all for just a few buck$
And I want it now. :D

I really, really wanted to respond to this but couldn't get through the sort function in my lifetime... Just the cut set of audiophile + guitar player + old fart was too large. :)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try putting Windows 10 into Game Mode :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you try putting Windows 10 into Game Mode :D
:)

Don't laugh but we actually did try to change CPU scheduler policies to see if it made a difference. See the labels in the graph.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:)

Don't laugh but we actually did try to change CPU scheduler policies to see if it made a difference. See the labels in the graph.

I saw that but couldn't resist. When do you think the Behringer will be finished on the bench?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When do you think the Behringer will be finished on the bench?
Could be today. Question is, how long should I keep you all in suspense? :D

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be today. Question is, how long should I keep you all in suspense? :D

You post it when you post it. Hopefully it turns out to be a well performing, easy to setup, with some extra bells and whistles (HP out, ADC) included.

Balanced I/O doesn't hurt.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom