• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

nodoubt

so, what chip do these beringers use? the cirrus chips still? i have a 404 hd in my small studio, and i swear it sounds better than the topping e 30 im trying out in my home theater, slash, music setup in the living room.
im thinking about yanking it out of my studio room and a-b testing it on my stereo set up just to see.
that damn beringer sounds fantastic on head phones, or thru my powered 6 inch jbls.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
so, what chip do these beringers use? the cirrus chips still? i have a 404 hd in my small studio, and i swear it sounds better than the topping e 30 im trying out in my home theater, slash, music setup in the living room.
im thinking about yanking it out of my studio room and a-b testing it on my stereo set up just to see.
that damn beringer sounds fantastic on head phones, or thru my powered 6 inch jbls.

The chip used is relevant to the designer, irrelevant to the user.

Reactions: trl

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Indeed. The E30 should be running circles around the 404HD in just about all measured parameters, not the least because the Behringer's analog stage running on +5V single supply is doing it no favors in the dynamic range department (I'm assuming the CS4272 was used for its better filters or just volume discount, Steinberg have been getting by with the lowly CS4270 in similar interfaces). If having balanced outputs has nothing to do with it, it's probably just a classic mixed fruit bag type comparison.
You will see UMC404HD headphone output measurements make an appearance in Julian Krause's reviews - seems OK with medium impedance cans but certainly not the last word on anything.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
i have a 404 hd in my small studio, and i swear it sounds better than the topping e 30 im trying out in my home theater, slash, music setup in the living room
If you'll test them both in the same setup and in the same room you will not make a difference in the output sound.

nodoubt

The chip used is relevant to the designer, irrelevant to the user.

See, now that didnt answer my question at all now did it ? You wasted your time, and mine, by replying to my question with such a silly remark......If i want to know something about a product, it is indeed relevant to me.

I would say in the future, if you dont have anything constructive to say, then its probably better to keep your useless comments to yourself.

Thanks......

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
See, now that didnt answer my question at all now did it ? You wasted your time, and mine, by replying to my question with such a silly remark......If i want to know something about a product, it is indeed relevant to me.

I would say in the future, if you dont have anything constructive to say, then its probably better to keep your useless comments to yourself.

Thanks......
Ask better questions.

nodoubt

deaf, blind, and ignorant it is then. Thanks for confirming....

Last edited:

anli

Can anybody, please, justify I understand inserts correctly: tip is used to send signal to some processor, and ring is used as return processed signal input (that is it borrows capture slot role in USB interface)?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
balanced-wiring.jpg

Source: https://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/.
Unless I don't understand your question, Tip and Ring are carrying analogue audio signal in the same way, but inverted at 180 degrees.

sharpty

Can anybody, please, justify I understand inserts correctly: tip is used to send signal to some processor, and ring is used as return processed signal input (that is it borrows capture slot role in USB interface)?
Yes, for TRS inserts the tip is send and ring is receive. This is also commonly found on mixing consoles.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
insert is explained here:

Afriza.

Hi, do you think the output on these would be good for pre-amp? Specifically I'm thinking about pairing these with the Topping L30.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Well, Amir already stated on his review that "Also the output level from this DAC is anemic which may cause you to not be able to play as loud".
Per https://mediadl.musictribe.com/medi...C404HD_UMC204HD_UMC202HD_UMC22_UM2_QSG_WW.pdf I see 3 dBu output level, which is about 1.1V RMS.

L30 has a max. gain of +9.5 dB which is about 2.8X, so max. output voltage would probably be 1.1 x 2.8 = 3V RMS which in 32 Ohms is 0.28 W.

Feel free to double check the specs from both devices, just in case I'm missing something here. Thanks!

Afriza.

Well, Amir already stated on his review that "Also the output level from this DAC is anemic which may cause you to not be able to play as loud".
Per https://mediadl.musictribe.com/medi...C404HD_UMC204HD_UMC202HD_UMC22_UM2_QSG_WW.pdf I see 3 dBu output level, which is about 1.1V RMS.

L30 has a max. gain of +9.5 dB which is about 2.8X, so max. output voltage would probably be 1.1 x 2.8 = 3V RMS which in 32 Ohms is 0.28 W.

Feel free to double check the specs from both devices, just in case I'm missing something here. Thanks!
Ahh, I seem to have missed that point. Seems like I have to hunt for something else then. Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom