• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So no, then, you haven’t done even the most basic controls for listening tests. That’s a pity.
How do you want to know?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I own UMC 202HD and UMC204HD and some other DACs with or without ADC and when level matched I can't hear any differences at all.
On direct comparison (switching inputs on an amp) the Behringer will always loose from desktop DACs because of the signal level difference.
It has about the output level of a phone.

I do admit to be DAC deaf as soon as levels are carefully matched. Without that little trick some can sound different from others.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Casual Test:

UMC202HD as DAC and as ADC

Using Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB to create the analog for the ADC test, and as ADC for the DAC test.

25 foot no-name XLR mic cable with TRS adapters on each end.

As DAC:

REW digits USB -> 202HD -> 202HD DAC analog out -> Focusrite Ch3 in -> ADC -> USB -> REW

1593291485680.png

As ADC

REW digits USB -> Focusrite Ch4 -> Focusrite Ch4 DAC analog -> 202HD Ch1 in > ADC _> USB -> REW

1593293036098.png

Control:

Focusrite measures itself.

Move cable about 3 inches from output of 202HD to Ch4 out of Focusrite

REW USB -> Focusrite Ch4 -> Ch4 DAC analog out -> Foocusrite Ch3 analog in -> Ch3 ADC -> USB ->REW

1593292375546.png

Last edited:

mga2009

Casual Test:

UMC202HD as DAC and as ADC

Using Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB to create the analog for the ADC test, and as ADC for the DAC test.

25 foot no-name XLR mic cable with TRS adapters on each end.

As DAC:

REW digits USB -> 202HD -> 202HD DAC analog out -> Focusrite Ch3 in -> ADC -> USB -> REW

As ADC

REW digits USB -> Focusrite Ch4 -> Focusrite Ch4 DAC analog -> 202HD Ch1 in > ADC _> USB -> REW

Control:

Focusrite measures itself.

Move cable about 3 inches from output of 202HD to Ch4 out of Focusrite

REW USB -> Focusrite Ch4 -> Ch4 DAC analog out -> Foocusrite Ch3 analog in -> Ch3 ADC -> USB ->REW

I definitely need to learn how to read these measurements... from my poor understanding the distortion is super low... ¿correct?

Spinkicked

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking but I use 2 dacs with my PC simultaneously: I connect both the UMC202HD and D50s to the PC via USB Hub. I use the UMC202HD as the default audio device and set the D50s for exclusive use with my media player (JRiver). There are other set up possibilities. But I control my headphones (music) and general PC audio (You Tube, Zoom, Skype) separately.

Hello there. I have been looking for the best setup that I can come up with the budget at hand. I have decided to go with a 250 ohms headphones (DT 990 Pros) + Jds Labs Atom as an amp + an external dac (Behringer) that I can both plug my bass guitar and maybe a mic in the future. And I have seen your picture, as it is the same setup that I want to go for. I have once used an audio interface (Scarlett 2i2) both as an amp and a dac for a 250 ohm headphones but I couldn't get enough power, so I returned them. But now I am putting an amp into the equation.

All in all, I would like to know the satisfaction that you are getting from Behringer as a dac with Atom. I've read lacking information about the performance of Behringer 202HD as a dac. Do you get buzzing sounds or do you have any sounds that you don't want to hear? Can you please share your experience with me on Behringer as a dac? Thank you.

ferrellms

Behringer has changed a lot in the last decades. Management structure (still Uli but now MusicTribe Co), manufacturing (an enormous in-house factory in China). They have acknowledged the past reliability problems by steadily improving to top notch as of now.

D

Deleted member 23023

I will say the Presonus and the mod Behringer 8ch mic pre (ADAT into the 1824) is quiet as hell - even with 16 channels in source mode. Really nice.

I was actually just looking at the 1824C - I need a new interface for my home studio. Is the DAC on this good and clean enough to run into my Topping A90 (pre-outs to studio monitors) or should I look into a dedicated balanced "audiophile" DAC like the Topping D90? This desk pulls double duty for gaming and casual listening so I want to use good stuff on all fronts but it would be nice to save money and complexity by letting this do both...

Tom11111

Does the UMC 22 use the same DAC as this model? I have a UMC22 and I was hoping to use it as DAC with my heresy until I get a modi

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Nope, UMC22 should be using a BB PCM2902 or a clone thereof (like the UCA202). Should be perfectly serviceable in practice but firmly on the 16-bit side of things (about 93 dB(A) output and 87.5 dB(A) input dynamic range according to Julian Krause, DAC THD+N of about -86 dB, and the DAC should be a multibit affair so expect some low-level nonlinearity - see NwAvGuy UCA202 review).

Honestly, if you have some decently-implemented onboard audio available I'd be strongly looking at that instead, even an ALC887 should have it beat by several dB. It's about on ALC883 level or so...

This is not a knock on the UMC22, which is a super cheap interface that still is full-featured and quite solidly built, and by all accounts works decently (even the microphone preamp has nice and low EIN). One would just wish they'd at least look at the kind of Realtek chips shipping in 192 kHz / 24-bit capable USB microphones these days for a potential redesign (even if I've had one of these and found an input dynamic range of about 90 dB, so 24 bit is a bit of a joke). It seems the demand for high-performance single-chip USB audio codecs just isn't all that great for some reason.

BTW, if anyone with moderating powers is reading this, I'd think this thread could finally be moved to the audio interface department...

fitchb

So I read all of this

but I cant really put it into context.

For context

Is the UMC HD 202 as DAC with Behringer HA400 (30$) comparable to a soundblaster Q3 (50$) or Schiit fulla (90$) ? If i'm trying to power a set of DT 770 250ohm ?

Valhalla

I use Audiomatica Clio and it does what it is supposed to, but after all, REW also has some very nice functions so I'll buy an accurate soundcard to use inputs and outputs with REW. This UMC204HD seems interesting and it's affordable. can anyone advise me if there is any better choice for this application?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It should work fine. I'd also look at Focusrite's Scarlett 2i2. But more important is the microphone- what were you thinking about?

Valhalla

It should work fine. I'd also look at Focusrite's Scarlett 2i2. But more important is the microphone- what were you thinking about?

I will use Dayton UMM6 or Clio MIC-01
thanks for the tips. I'll look for Scarlett 2i2.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I will use Dayton UMM6 or Clio MIC-01
thanks for the tips. I'll look for Scarlett 2i2.
The Dayton is a USB mic so you don’t need a mic preamp or interface. The Clio plugs directly into a CLIO’s input so, again, you don’t need a preamp/interface.

There, I saved you $100!

Top Bottom