• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review and Measurements: Behringer UCA222

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, as best I can tell, the ADC of both the UCA202 and the UCA222 operates at 44kHz and 48kHz/16bit (Behringer calls this 'high resolution ;)). You set the SR for the device in your computer's audio control panel.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, as best I can tell, the ADC of both the UCA202 and the UCA222 operates at 44kHz and 48kHz/16bit (Behringer calls this 'high resolution ;)). You set the SR for the device in your computer's audio control panel.
Necromancer! :p

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently bought four of these for utility use at $9..99 apiece with free shipping on sale at Sweetwater -- and just now it went back up to $29.99. $9.99 seems about right.... :cool:

eikido

Just want to get it straight.
The UCA202 now also comes with the Coolaudio chipsets, same as the UCA222?

Looking for a simple DAC with Line out to my headphone amp.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's cheap enough that you could just buy one and open it up to find out.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

The apple dongle has an amplified output. I only need line out to my headphone amp.
It doesn't really matter though as long as the output voltage is compatible with your amp.

Nifkin

Why is this reviewed as if it's a DAC when it's not: it's an ADC?

Nifkin

It is both. But only the DAC functionality was tested.
It's intended as a rudimentary audio interface, i.e. it's meant to turn analogue signals into digital. I know a ton of people who use or have used it, and they always use it to create digital copies from analogue sources, such as vinyl, tape cassette, etc. Why would anyone use this as a DAC? There's so much more choice when it comes to standalone DACs than standalone ADCs. If you look at the user manual there is no guidance on using it as a DAC, just as an ADC.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
It's intended as a rudimentary audio interface, i.e. it's meant to turn analogue signals into digital. I know a ton of people who use or have used it, and they always use it to create digital copies from analogue sources, such as vinyl, tape cassette, etc. Why would anyone use this as a DAC? There's so much more choice when it comes to standalone DACs than standalone ADCs. If you look at the user manual there is no guidance on using it as a DAC, just as an ADC.

I use a Behringer audio interface-- the newer UMC202HD model -- principally for its DAC and headphone amp functions, and only occasionally for recording with microphones. I tried a separate Topping E30 DAC, and found it provided no significant SQ improvement -- and then it died after a couple months of use. I went back to the UMC202HD without a single moment of hesitation or regret -- it's more than adequate for my particular use case and I like having both functions in a single small USB-powered (no "wall wart") unit I can rely on. WTF would one need "guidance" for the DAC function? You just connect it up, download/install the latest driver package from the mfr. website, and you're good to go.

Nifkin

I use a Behringer audio interface-- the newer UMC202HD model -- principally for its DAC and headphone amp functions, and only occasionally for recording with microphones. I tried a separate Topping E30 DAC, and found it provided no significant SQ improvement -- and then it died after a couple months of use. I went back to the UMC202HD without a single moment of hesitation or regret -- it's more than adequate for my particular use case and I like having both functions in a single small USB-powered (no "wall wart") unit I can rely on. WTF would one need "guidance" for the DAC function? You just connect it up, download/install the latest driver package from the mfr. website, and you're good to go.
The UMC202HD is a totally different class of product to the one being discussed. Who on earth uses the UCA222 as a DAC? Why would you?

As for the guidance, think about it: only on ASR would someone assume that everyone instinctively knows how to connect up a DAC! Behringer include a user guide for the ADC but not for the DAC function, not even to say "just connect it up, download/install the latest driver package from the mfr. website, and you're good to go." If they thought people would be using it as a DAC you'd think they'd mention it somewhere, that's why manufacturers include user manuals

No-one but no-one uses the UCA222 as a DAC, unless they're having an emergency because all their other DACs are broken

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The UMC202HD is a totally different class of product to the one being discussed. Who on earth uses the UCA222 as a DAC? Why would you?

As for the guidance, think about it: only on ASR would someone assume that everyone instinctively knows how to connect up a DAC! Behringer include a user guide for the ADC but not for the DAC function, not even to say "just connect it up, download/install the latest driver package from the mfr. website, and you're good to go." If they thought people would be using it as a DAC you'd think they'd mention it somewhere, that's why manufacturers include user manuals

No-one but no-one uses the UCA222 as a DAC, unless they're having an emergency because all their other DACs are broken
Notice this review was 6 years ago. Many inexpensive DACs we have now weren't out then. As the Behringer had a DAC as well as an ADC nothing wrong with using what you need if it fits the purpose. If it also was cheaper than most any DAC only device what is the harm? I have an audio interface that is mostly used as a secondary DAC because it is a good one. I bought it to record, but the ADC is only used a fraction as much as the time I spend using the DAC part of it.

Also the mention of the UMC202HD is not about a totally different class of product. In fact it was a later device fulfilling exactly the same function as the UCA222. Bruce Morgen was simply pointing out that he uses the DAC of a very similar device so your idea nobody uses it and it was only for ADC use does not really ring true.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

I bought a bunch of UCA222s when they were on sale at Sweetwater for $9.99 apiece and use them like "dongle" DACs for miscellaneous utility applications. Their DAC function is better than all but the most recent PeeCee motherboards and laptops, and the headphone volume control makes them more versatile than the usual "dongle" product -- and they're far more durable than the vast majority of "dongles." As for SQ, I wouldn't use one for serious music listening, but they're entirely adequate for movie and TV audio -- I have no current use for the ADC function, but it's there should I ever need it. At that sale price, they were a very cost-effective way to go given an appropriate use case.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who on earth uses the UCA222 as a DAC? Why would you?
Why wouldn't you?

And you are complaining about a review from 2017 - 6 years ago. I'm not sure there is that much point getting worked up over it.

Top Bottom