• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Dac recommendation

fustyler

I have puchased a pair of KEF LS50 and a Marantz PM8005 amp, the only missing piece is a DAC to pair with the setup. Looking to spend <$500.

From my research on this forum I am seeing some positive feedbacks for Topping D50 and SMSL SU-8. Was also thinking Alla Katana but that doesn't look ready yet.

Would appreciate it if you can provide advise on the above or any other options.

OP
F

fustyler

The Marantz amp also has a remote control, I'm thinking i don't need a remote control for the dac?
Between Topping D50, DX7x, SMSL SU-8, how would you rank them in terms of sound quality and which one would get your overall pick?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Correct. I thought the Marantz was just a power-amp.

I think sound quality would be similar. Since your Marantz only has unbalanced, technically the D50 is better than SU-8. DX7s would be good if you needed a headphone amp.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have puchased a pair of KEF LS50 and a Marantz PM8005 amp, the only missing piece is a DAC to pair with the setup
I was about to possibly question the need for a standalone DAC, till I took a look at the PM8005
Surprising to see a integrated in the 2018 market without a built in DAC and digital inputs?
Not criticizing the choice fustyler, just surprising none the less.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

OP
F

fustyler

Thanks for the input. The choice if the amp was based on the need for an amp that pairs well with the ls50. Also I prefer separating the dac as another device given how quickly technology advance in the chipset - I can swap out the dac when there's a new board and keep running the same amp.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for the input. The choice if the amp was based on the need for an amp that pairs well with the ls50. Also I prefer separating the dac as another device given how quickly technology advance in the chipset - I can swap out the dac when there's a new board and keep running the same amp.
True improvement in sound of DAC design hasn't changed in 20 some years and is highly unlikely to ever do so.
Just sayin,.................

OP
F

fustyler

Agree to disagree on this one. Something like a topping d50 would not have existed at this price point a couple of years ago. There is new chipset out every 1-2 years in the dac with iterative improvements.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Agree to disagree on this one. Something like a topping d50 would not have existed at this price point a couple of years ago. There is new chipset out every 1-2 years in the dac with iterative improvements.
The numbers are stellar, audible improvement highly debatable. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To some extent I am in agreement with Sal. I wish we had a more clearly refined line between audible and inaudible. Now with frequency response we know what is good enough. DACs unless intentionally made otherwise or using some whiz bang filtering which droops the high end have been good enough for a long time. Nearly if not since the beginning of CD.

Most good DACs have distortion low enough it isn't a problem and have for many years.

The noise floor, low level resolution and similar things are not quite so clear. I have a fairly strong opinion that if you get the distortion and noise below -80 db you'll not hear a difference. I am of a very strong opinion if you can get them to -90 db that is the case. For decades now only really lousy DACs would fail the former and at least many DACs would meet the latter. If a DAC can get all the residual levels of distortion below -100 db, I'd like someone to show you could hear difference. I don't believe you can.

OTOH, sure if you can get just one step short of SOTA performance for cheap, then why wouldn't you. I think these stellar performances are more important especially on low level resolution on the recording side of things than on playback.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can swap out the dac when there's a new board and keep running the same amp.
OTOH, sure if you can get just one step short of SOTA performance for cheap, then why wouldn't you. I think these stellar performances are more important especially on low level resolution on the recording side of things than on playback.
Totally agree D, only made the comment I did in response to fustyler's inference that there was something to be gained by chasing the upgrade path.
Then that could be true if the current fad of ever higher sampling rates is something the poster wanted to pursue?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we have never had it so good, it is possible to buy excellent DACs at a remarkably low price point that are audibly transparent. Audio digital - analogue conversion is a mature technology, CDs are over thirty years old and DACs fitted to CD players in the 1990's already offered excellent performance. I have an old Sony CD player from the late 90's that still sounds great, but I paid about £600 in late 90's pounds and today I have a similarly transparent DAC in my mobile phone (also Sony funnily enough). Even in terms of amplifiers, I mainly use headphones now and although the headphone output of my mobile phone is a bit anaemic (thanks to Euro regs to protect our ears) it can drive my headphones to a decent volume and within that limit is pretty transparent. If you'd told people not that long ago we would be able to carry an entire music library around on a mobile phone in CD equivalent FLAC quality and that the phone would provide equivalent sound quality to a hifi CD player and headphone stage (albeit to a limited volume) people would've said you were nuts. And there is a whole world of very affordable, excellent performing kit from manufacturers like Topping, SMSL etc as well as no shortage of great gear from more established players and professional suppliers. None of this is to say that equipment doesn't continue to improve in term of measurement but there is a different between what can be measured and what can be discerned. Happy days!!

Top Bottom