• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget-conscious balanced DAC (USB) for A90 + HD800s?

I am looking for a balanced DAC for A90 + HD800s.
I don't need any features besides just getting the best out of HD800s. Won't be connecting two systems to it, no MQA, no Bluetooth, etc.
I will be using USB only and then just whatever interconnect I need to connect the DAC to A90 via balanced out.

I do, however, want the most transparent, highest sound quality possible, so I don't have to come back to this.

I also want to spend the least possible amount. No more than $300 used, but I will be happy if it's $100 or such.

Would Topping D10 balanced suffice? I read about people calling it "bright" and I want a simple, transparent, non-coloring DAC.

If not D10 balanced, then what?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would Topping D10 balanced suffice?
Yes.

I read about people calling it "bright"
Here's the frequency response:
4615188.jpg
Schiit Modius, Soncoz LA-QDX1

jthc

D10 is probably fine— I passed on it because of the TRS connectors instead of XLR. I ended up getting an SMSL M300 Mk2, but the Schiit Modius and Soncoz were also on my final list. Probably can’t go wrong with any of these options.

Fwiw I passed on the Modius and Soncoz because they have no display to show if hi-res files are actually being played.

roundsound

I am looking for a balanced DAC for A90 + HD800s.
I don't need any features besides just getting the best out of HD800s. Won't be connecting two systems to it, no MQA, no Bluetooth, etc.
I will be using USB only and then just whatever interconnect I need to connect the DAC to A90 via balanced out.

I do, however, want the most transparent, highest sound quality possible, so I don't have to come back to this.

I also want to spend the least possible amount. No more than $300 used, but I will be happy if it's $100 or such.

Would Topping D10 balanced suffice? I read about people calling it "bright" and I want a simple, transparent, non-coloring DAC.

What did you end up getting?
I'm basically in the same boat. Thinking about getting an A90d for my Aeon Noires. As well as a simple balanced DAC with good enough sound quality.

Top Bottom