• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Bookshelf Suggestions

sound

Looking for budget bookshelf speakers (150-250 USD) suggestions to replace old infinity rs 3001. Listening in ~15x15 room in apartment so don't need anything particularly loud. Will be paired with used yamaha rx v471 av receiver and a 12 inch klipsch sub that was gifted to me. Would be used about equally for music and movies.
I've been looking at the polk S15 because they measured decently well and look nice. Also looked at the JBL 530 because I'm sure they sound great for the current price but unfortunately I think they look pretty ugly.
Any attractive options in this budget? Any advice on whether $200 pair of smaller speakers would be significant upgrade from larger, modest retro speakers or would I be better off saving my money and getting a better pair down the road?

Putter

Forum Donor
Of the speakers that Amir has tested the JBL A130 which Crutchfield has at $199/pr would seem to fit the bill. Disadvantages might be looks although not as polarizing as the JBL 530.

If you are an Infinity-phile (like me) you might look for the Infinity Primus series (150 - 153) or its replacement Reference 152 + 162 which did get good reviews from Amir. The downside is that they're discontinued, but can be found on the used market in that price range esp. the Primus series.

None of these suggestions will completely match the low end of your 3001 with its 8 inch woofer although they might come close given that they're ported. Of course these and most bookshelves would benefit from a subwoofer.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Paradigm Titans are no longer being manufactured, as far as I can tell, though there's plenty floating around the used market. Good little bookshelf speakers, plenty of volume, bass is limited but what's there is good [not a problem for you as you have a sub].

OP
S

sound

None of these suggestions will completely match the low end of your 3001 with its 8 inch woofer although they might come close given that they're ported. Of course these and most bookshelves would benefit from a subwoofer.
Yeah that's part of my rationale for replacing is that now that I have a subwoofer, maybe I can get a pair of speakers that will do the mids and highs better than the infinity and the sub to do the lows.

I like the Polk S15 speakers a lot. I got them on Amir's recommendation. They have really nice bass without a sub. They're pretty attractive, esp. (IMHO) without the grills on.

Top Bottom