• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Balanced 4 pin XLR headphone amp

artismo

Hi all, long time lurker and appreciative of objectivist measurements and audiophile philosophy. There’s nothing like a clean, accurate rig. However, I personally tend to favor a little warmth and vocal presence when I’m relaxing or commuting.

I live in Japan and have access to some good equipment, but I also find myself surfing eBay and Massdrop to get some hard to get equipment.

I currently have: a Topping D30, MDO2, xDuoo TA-02 with and Voskhod tubes

My cans: HD58X, HE4XX, Focal Elex, Blue Sadie, Blue Ella, Audeze Sine, Oppo Pm-3

My point is, I’m looking for a new budget amp that can power these cans with authority (I know, maybe an oxymoron)~

Planars need current and by my guesstimates of 32 ohm, 1 watt, 5.xx volts, the Atom should put out south of 200 milliamps. Is that sufficient to drive planars in that resistance ballpark?

Also, I was looking at the SMSL SH-8 balanced amp, but I haven’t seen measurements here or a review. What are your thoughts? I’m willing to empty my wallet a little more for quality.

Any thoughts on the CTH with an LPS? Do measurements improve?

-Thankful amateur

[edited for typos]

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Planars need current and by my guesstimates of 32 ohm, 1 watt, 5.xx volts, the Atom should put out south of 200 milliamps. Is that sufficient to drive planars in that resistance ballpark?
It does. You would go deaf at maximum volume. :) And I say this with both testing the HD-650 and HE-400i. You get clean power until your ears complain....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, I was looking at the SMSL SH-8 balances amp, but I saw I measurements here or review. What are your thoughts? I’m willing to empty my wallet a little more for quality.
There is no headphone amplifier out there that competes with JDS Labs Atom, Massdrop THX AAA 780 and Neurochrome HP-1. These are basically distortion free, and amazingly powerful. While I will keep testing to find more alternatives for now, I say for an amplifier limit your choice to these.

OP
artismo

artismo

There is no headphone amplifier out there that competes with JDS Labs Atom, Massdrop THX AAA 780 and Neurochrome HP-1. These are basically distortion free, and amazingly powerful. While I will keep testing to find more alternatives for now, I say for an amplifier limit your choice to these.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I took a look at the HP-1 and gave myself a goal to look forward to. I’ve been eyeing the THX myself too and will probably pick it up if I can find it used or still available for drop. If I don’t see it for a week or so, I’ll pick up an Atom.

Also, I was looking at measurements for the CTH, well anything budget-ish Alex Cavalli (Liquid Carbon, Spark), and was disappointed by the data.

Any chance you’ll remeasure the CTH with an LPS? Do you think it would matter?

Top Bottom