• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Amp With High Pass Filter

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As the title suggests, which budget amp has a high pass filter and a sub out with decent amount of wattage (90w - 120w or so) at 4 ohms and bluetooth? Any additional connectivity is always welcome but thats pushing it for a budget amp.

OP
M

MarkWinston

no such thing unfortunately. as far as i know.

MiniDSP 2*4 with a cheap amplifier?
Would it be better if I just a got an more affordable AV reciever that has a high pass filter and sub out in this case? SQ wouldnt be far different from a budget stereo amp, would it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be better if I just a got an more affordable AV reciever that has a high pass filter and sub out in this case? SQ wouldnt be far different from a budget stereo amp, would it?

What do you call a "budget" stereo amp? Most 2ch gear doesn't provide much for bass management in any case (just a hpf for the speakers doesn't sound too useful, particularly a fixed one as I've generally seen in 2ch gear that has anything along these lines). AVRs will have adjustable crossovers and ability to set delays for better sub integration too (sometimes even for two different subs, altho ".2" avrs don't necessarily have such). Altho sometimes setup with a front panel of an avr without a tv can be a bit more difficult. I use avrs generally due usefulness over my 2ch gear (e.g. digital/wireless capabilities, video capabilities, etc).

coomean

What is your definition of "budget amp"? I came across these two devices a couple of months ago, both of which provide decent room correction solution (high pass to main and sub out) for a 2.1 system.

Martinlogan Forte (no bluetooth, but can do wireless streaming via DTS Play-Fi or Apple AirPlay)
Elac EA-101EQ-G or DS-A101-G (both have bluetooth, the later also has Airplay)

OP
M

MarkWinston

Sorry I forgot to mention my definition of budget. Budget to me is somewhere below 400 or 500 usd, the lower the better. A hpf is pretty useful when you are using a sub, in fact it is at least 50% of the fine tuning procedure. So would an AV amp be better in my case? Have AV recievers come a long way and sound more than decent in stereo nowadays?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not found any significant differences between my old 2ch separates and my avrs as far as 2ch audio goes, but the 2ch gear sucks for multich and anything digital :) Bass management on the avr is an improvement over fiddling with an hpf to your speakers (often fixed in 2ch gear) and the low pass on the sub....altho choice of slope is often fixed rather than variable except for some of the higher end processors.

escape2

As the title suggests, which budget amp has a high pass filter and a sub out with decent amount of wattage (90w - 120w or so) at 4 ohms and bluetooth? Any additional connectivity is always welcome but thats pushing it for a budget amp.
The cheapest one I can think of is Yamaha N803, but that's around $750.

lithoc

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

JWAmerica

Have you considered using a car audio amplifier and a PC power supply? Throw in a DAC with Bluetooth and you're good to go.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i misunderstand high vs low pass too

does OP mean he wants to variable cut for main spks and sub?

because the A300 will not do that

an absolute slew of av amps will and a few stereo ones like the marantz nr1200 i think? but cost is up there

as yet i have not seen a china amp with such flexibility

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Crown XLS series has adjustable high pass filter.

Top Bottom