• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Amp Segment Looks Too Good RN

RemLezar

Hi ASR,
Posting here because I love objective measurements and appreciate all of Amir's reviews. However, after trying to decide on a new, inexpensive headphone amp my mind has gotten a little crowded with numbers and imperceptible differences between them all.

Mainly I want to see if there's anything I'm missing that would make my decision easier. I'm planning to mainly drive the X2HR (32 Ohms) but would also like to be able to sub in my DT 880 (600 Ohms). So, kind of opposite ends of the scale there (not sure on their sensitivity).

I've had my eye on the Atom, Magni Heresy, and Geshelli Archel2... Liquid Spark too, I guess.

I don't know if this is the kind of advice typically offered on these forums but any input is appreciated.

OP
RemLezar

RemLezar

What's your budget? The JDS Atom would work well with your headphones.
Budget is roughly $100 - $150. I'm located in Canada so I'm having to think about shipping costs as well.

The Atom seemed like the obvious choice initially... which usually makes me dig harder to try and find some reason why it shouldn't be :facepalm:

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah, Canadian eh?

I'd say Topping A30 but that 10 ohm output impedance is not going to work well with your 32 ohm headphones.

Hmm... Atom might be the best choice, really.

OP
RemLezar

RemLezar

Ya bud!

It's funny, I actually ordered an A30 from Amazon because it was on sale for $100 CAD but the power supply came out of the box all smashed up. That was before I knew it had a 10 Ohm output impedance so it probably would have been returned anyway.

If it's really that simple then I'll be happy to order an Atom. Thanks for relieving some of my indecision.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT880 is about 99dB/V = about 116dB peak SPL on Atom and Geshelli Archel2, 118dB peak SPL on Magni Heresy, and 119 dB on Liquid Spark.

I would go for the LS or Heresy.... just to add to your indecision

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DT880 is about 99dB/V = about 116dB peak SPL on Atom and Geshelli Archel2, 118dB peak SPL on Magni Heresy, and 119 dB on Liquid Spark.

Bad Dude :D

Get the Atom and be done... Will drive most headphones on the planet to ear-bleeding levels ... with a smile on your face.. Clean output, no-disotrtion, incredible signal to moise ratio.. butt-ugly and all-plastic ... A biased owner :p

OP
RemLezar

RemLezar

Haha, thanks for that solderdude. It's valuable input though.

So, the Spark would drive my DT 880 more comfortably but it also appears to have more distortion with lower load impedances... My main use would be with 32 Ohm cans so that seems like more of a cause for concern. Correct me if I'm wrong; I am not well versed in the technicalities.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So, the Spark would drive my DT 880 more comfortably but it also appears to have more distortion with lower load impedances... My main use would be with 32 Ohm cans so that seems like more of a cause for concern. Correct me if I'm wrong; I am not well versed in the technicalities.

Acc. to measurements distortion slowly rises above 72mW. Your Philips will already be pumping out 118dB SPL at which point the headphone itself started to increase distortion already magnitudes higher.

I would say... get the one you like best in looks and functionality and is easiest to get your hands on.
They all perform well below any audible levels of distortion.

OP
RemLezar

RemLezar

I highly doubt you'll be able to hear any difference.

I say pick the one that's a better deal and go for that.
I would say... get the one you like best in looks and functionality and is easiest to get your hands on.

I'm sure this is extremely 'sound' advice... but I've always had a fixation for numbers. They help me sleep at night :rolleyes:

I'm inclined to believe you :) With that being said, the Liquid Spark is the only one I can get on Amazon.ca right now and that may just sway me.

Last edited:

Blur

Forum Donor
Just avoid the SP200 as it has hiss and gain issues. The Magni 3 or Heresy would do great!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JDS Atom, Schiit Magni 3 or Heresy, Geshelli or an O2 would all be good. Personally I have an Atom and am very happy with it but the alternatives are also good.

Fleurrose

Haha, thanks for that solderdude. It's valuable input though.

audacity temp mail origin

Last edited:
OP
RemLezar

RemLezar

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I just wanted to update and say that I got the Liquid Spark; it was the only one I didn't have to import.

_DSC2281-2.jpg

D

Deleted member 12179

Great choice. And great looking too. One question, because I´m on the same boat as you. Also looking for one of these budget amps. I am also very interested on a pass-trough rca output for monitors, without pre-amp or volume control from the amp, just direct intact output to the speaker monitors. How is that on this liquid spark? thanks a lot, and enjoy your amp!!

OP
RemLezar

RemLezar

Great choice. And great looking too. One question, because I´m on the same boat as you. Also looking for one of these budget amps. I am also very interested on a pass-trough rca output for monitors, without pre-amp or volume control from the amp, just direct intact output to the speaker monitors. How is that on this liquid spark? thanks a lot, and enjoy your amp!!

I believe the Liquid Spark has pre-outs. I haven't tested them but they are labeled as "P" and other reviews I've seen have said as much.

I think the Topping A30 has line out.

Top Bottom