• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget AMP Recommendations

karadoulis

Hello,

I am new here,
Sorry for bothering you I need opinions about AMPs.
I was wondering if you guys can help me choose a budget AMP for my headphones

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentum-headphones-in-ear
and also Audio Technica ATH-M40x.

After a lot of reading, I bought the HIFIMEDIY UAE23 USB DAC but it wasn't powerful enough to drive my the Momentum and I sold it.
Even at max volume, Momentum was quite.
Now I am in the market buying a new AMP around 50 euros and I really could use your help.

Thanks in advance.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
50 euros is too little. u can review amazon - see what ppl like at that price. In DAC/Amp combo I can suggest SMSL M3.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd try the Apple USB-C dongle for $10-15. The Sennheisers shouldn't need too much power to drive them and the DAC/amp in that dongle has better performance than anything I can think of in that sub-$50 price range.

It's impossible to know how powerful your Hifime unit was though. They don't publish that spec on their site, but from past experience here, their devices tend to grossly under-perform, so it may be that it just had so little juice it couldn't even drive your in-ears.

Just to clarify though: are you interested in amp only, or DAC/amp? I ask just because the Hifime device that you're replacing is obviously DAC/amp...

invaderzim

I have the Momentum in ear headphones at work and just use the output of a dragonfly black. I have the volume set around 2 or 3 just as background sound but I can't imagine them taking that much power to drive them loudly.

On a side note, they sound very weak if they aren't fitted tightly into the ear. When I first got mine I thought they were terrible, now I love them.

Not sure exactly what it means but:
The headphones say 18 ohms and HiFimediy shows
Output levels:
  • Open 2.2Vrms
  • 4.7Kohm 2.1Vrms
  • 1.8Kohm 1.9Vrms
  • 510ohm 1.5Vrms
  • 330ohm 1.3Vrms
  • 30ohm 1Vrms

Last edited:
OP
karadoulis

karadoulis

50 euros is too little. u can review amazon - see what ppl like at that price. In DAC/Amp combo I can suggest SMSL M3.

Thanks for the reply,

I'll check it out.

I'd try the Apple USB-C dongle for $10-15. The Sennheisers shouldn't need too much power to drive them and the DAC/amp in that dongle has better performance than anything I can think of in that sub-$50 price range.

It's impossible to know how powerful your Hifime unit was though. They don't publish that spec on their site, but from past experience here, their devices tend to grossly under-perform, so it may be that it just had so little juice it couldn't even drive your in-ears.

Just to clarify though: are you interested in amp only, or DAC/amp? I ask just because the Hifime device that you're replacing is obviously DAC/amp...

Thanks for the reply,

The Monument is primarily for my workplace so I am searching for something to boost the volume and quality of the sound because the audio chip on the desktop is awful.
Apple USB-C dongle could work, tho I have to buy another adapter because this desktop doesn't have a USB C port!

I am interested in a cheap Dac/Amp solution or even AMP, to be honest. That's what I thought with Hifime unit but after I emailed them they reckon me the Sabre 9018 UAE23HD which can play much louder with lower impedance headphones like those Sennheiser.

I have the Momentum in ear headphones at work and just use the output of a dragonfly black. I have the volume set around 2 or 3 just as background sound but I can't imagine them taking that much power to drive them loudly.

On a side note, they sound very weak if they aren't fitted tightly into the ear. When I first got mine I thought they were terrible, now I love them.

Not sure exactly what it means but:
The headphones say 18 ohms and HiFimediy shows
Output levels:
  • Open 2.2Vrms
  • 4.7Kohm 2.1Vrms
  • 1.8Kohm 1.9Vrms
  • 510ohm 1.5Vrms
  • 330ohm 1.3Vrms
  • 30ohm 1Vrms

Thanks for the reply,

As they told me that unit I had couldn't drive them.
Even the crappy sound chip in my workplace desktop could drive them but the sound quality is really poor.

With the Hifime unit, I had the volume at 100% and it was like 20-25% in the audio on my workplace desktop, the sound quality was better tho! :p

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d just try the Apple dongle + USB adaptor then. Audio performance is up there with DACs costing hundreds or thousands of €, and it can output 30mW into 33 Ohm, which will get your Sennheisers to over 110dB without clipping.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I’d just try the Apple dongle + USB adaptor then. Audio performance is up there with DACs costing hundreds or thousands of €, and it can output 30mW into 33 Ohm, which will get your Sennheisers to over 110dB without clipping.
Second that. Furthermore, Apple USB-C dongle the only dac/amp I have no noise with when listening my Andromeda IEM.

OP
karadoulis

karadoulis

I was amazed by the sound quality and power of Apple USB-C to Headphone Jack - just wow, I really can't go above 40%...
And to think that I was thinking to spend something that costs 7-8 times of the price of this dongle.

The only thing is how long it will last because the build quality feels bad...

I can't reckon this enough and to think that I really hate Apple (hehe).

OP
karadoulis

karadoulis

It is very cheap for EU. In a moment regular price will be 170E + 20E shipping within EU. Anyway it's already sold out ...

Hey thanks for the reply,
I bought the Apple USB-C Headphone and I am more than happy with it - excellent work from Apple even if I hate that company.

tired_guru

Hey thanks for the reply,
I bought the Apple USB-C Headphone and I am more than happy with it - excellent work from Apple even if I hate that company.

I imported mine and total cost including shipping +VAT was almost 200$ (not even mentioning that standard, cheapest JDS option of shipping, took forever to get to EU). I guess you have never imported things from outside EU that's why you're so surprised about pricing difference. Especially from USA it is hard for your wallet :(. But what to do. This amp is worth few times more in my opinion. Can be your end game if you're looking for something audibly transparent with nice max voltage swing in high gain mode.

Top Bottom