• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Amp for KEF R3? Halp!

which amp do you recommend?

• SMSL A300

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Aiyima D03

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Aiyima A07 + topping D10?

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • other

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using the Purifi Eval 1 for my Kef LS 50 Metas and the Aiyima A07 for my Kef CTC 3005 SE Center channel, and I don't notice any difference in tonality, nor do I play things loud enough to clip anything. So, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not pushed the $80 Aiyima should be transparent. You can also beef up the power supply and get it to deliver over 100 WPC for not much more than $50. It's in one of the Aiyima threads somewhere.

The step up amp would be the 252, and the state of the art would be the Eval 1.

OP
regan

regan

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but you bought an $1800 pair of speakers before u took care of your front end? I question the wisdom in this, but it is your money. If you bought those speakers, I daresay you're not new to this hobby, why don't you just use the previous amp u had with your old gear till u can get what u want?
I haven't bought them yet but i'm willing to soon.
In the meantime I want to figure out a decent temporary amp and dac budget solution. Listening volume won't go too high since i've got neighbours.

I got the opportunity to buy the R3 at around 1000e new. So... Yeah..

And yes, i'm more than new to this... i don't understand anything lol. I've seen the d03 mentioned as a good temp solution in the R3 thread and then the above member suggested a07 as being a better amp (to which i should add topping d10)

chych7

I couldn't hear a difference between a Hypex NC252MP and a cheapo $33 nobsound mini amp (built an A/B selector switch and all). Save your money, go with something inexpensive like the Aiyima A07.

OP
regan

regan

I couldn't hear a difference between a Hypex NC252MP and a cheapo $33 nobsound mini amp (built an A/B selector switch and all). Save your money, go with something inexpensive like the Aiyima A07.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What speakers did you use those amps for?

movehome

I'm using the A07 with Polk ES20 speakers (reviewed on this site) and there's way more power than I need. Even at like 20% volume (with me listening to music that isn't mastered loud) they're loud enough my apartment neighbours could justifiably complain.

For the DAC i'm using the SMSL Sanskrit MKII. Cheap setup overall (speakers on sale).. sounds damn good to my ears though.

chych7

Thanks for sharing your experience. What speakers did you use those amps for?
Philharmonic BMR v2 monitors, which are 4 ohm too; they're no slouch. IMO amps are waaaaaay overrated. I find it very unfortunate that ASR doesn't address audibility of amp differences, and fixates on lab measurements. Hard to tell what's worth spending the $$ on for actual audible improvements.

movehome

Philharmonic BMR v2 monitors, which are 4 ohm too; they're no slouch. IMO amps are waaaaaay overrated. I find it very unfortunate that ASR doesn't address audibility of amp differences, and fixates on lab measurements. Hard to tell what's worth spending the $$ on for actual audible improvements.
I agree. I've always thought amp's and DAC's don't make as much as a difference as most people seem to suggest they do. So for me, I don't care about upgrading to something more expensive. But other people are more likely to be suckered in by people who say there's a "huge" difference or whatever.

Once you have a good setup, the most important thing is to find good masters of the music you like whenever possible (imo). For example, yesterday I ripped the audio from the Portishead live DVD which is DR11, while the CD is DR7 if I remember correctly. The DVD mastering wasn't available to download on its own unfortunately.

For anyone interested this is a very useful resource https://dr.loudness-war.info/

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Can't say enough good things about the Aiyima A07. I use it with a 24v 5a power brick, and it gets plenty loud. For normal listening, volume knob at the 10 o'clock position. I've never been anywhere near clipping the thing. I currently use the larger 32v 5a supply for my Aiyima A04 in the dining room, it seems to like the extra power for some odd reason.

The A07 is in my sunporch system that I use to push music to the backyard...more than enough power to make neighbors complain!

And most of the speakers I use are in the 87-90 db efficiency range.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I mean I'm sure it's good, but I wouldn't feel right using some cheap thing from Amazon with speakers like those...........I would save for something nicer.

chych7

I mean I'm sure it's good, but I wouldn't feel right using some cheap thing from Amazon with speakers like those...........I would save for something nicer.
You're subjecting yourself to "feelings" and placebo effects. There's nothing wrong with the inexpensive amps from Amazon. Anything nicer is just spending money on what is effectively audio "jewelry".

delta76

Major Contributor
Just ordered Sabaj a20a 2022 for 165$, very fast shipping. I heard good things about it and can't wait to test on my 948.
You don't need more than 100wpc to drive your R3 (or most speakers, actually). if you are on a budget then I think a20a and similar products from Sabaj and their sister companies are very attractive options.

delta76

Major Contributor
there are a huge difference between a no name cheap amp from Amazon, and a "reputable brand" from China. Topping, SMSL, Sabaj etc. are offering quite bang of the buck products. From a pure technical point of view they have done quite impressive job. Do a blind test with a help from a friend/partner, it will probably change your mind.
of course, if you want to stay away from cheap things for other reasons like ethics, that's fine I guess.

kaopad999

I agree. I've always thought amp's and DAC's don't make as much as a difference as most people seem to suggest they do. So for me, I don't care about upgrading to something more expensive. But other people are more likely to be suckered in by people who say there's a "huge" difference or whatever.

Once you have a good setup, the most important thing is to find good masters of the music you like whenever possible (imo). For example, yesterday I ripped the audio from the Portishead live DVD which is DR11, while the CD is DR7 if I remember correctly. The DVD mastering wasn't available to download on its own unfortunately.

For anyone interested this is a very useful resource https://dr.loudness-war.info/
I can ony speak from experience, but when i replaced my old Cambridge Audio Am5 witha Marantz Pm5005 i noticed quite a significant difference in sound quality.
i'm a real scpeptic for the most part espcially when it comes to things like speaker cables and interconnects. I've tried several differnt cables in the past but never noticed any differnce at all. As for DACS, i have noticed changes but they are very, very miniute, so much so, i do wonder whather i'm actually hearing any differnce at all!

delta76

Major Contributor
I can ony speak from experience, but when i replaced my old Cambridge Audio Am5 witha Marantz Pm5005 i noticed quite a significant difference in sound quality.
i'm a real scpeptic for the most part espcially when it comes to things like speaker cables and interconnects. I've tried several differnt cables in the past but never noticed any differnce at all. As for DACS, i have noticed changes but they are very, very miniute, so much so, i do wonder whather i'm actually hearing any differnce at all!
because those amps distort the sound in their different ways. for instance the CA might emphasize the lower frequencies while Marantz does the opposite, and you happen to like that.
the perfect amp should be as clean as possible - i.e. no noise or distortion. if you want to EQ it's the job of the DSP, not the amp (which you can't really control).

kaopad999

because those amps distort the sound in their different ways. for instance the CA might emphasize the lower frequencies while Marantz does the opposite, and you happen to like that.
the perfect amp should be as clean as possible - i.e. no noise or distortion. if you want to EQ it's the job of the DSP, not the amp (which you can't really control).
Which proves that some distortion can sound pleasing, and shows that an amp that is very clean ( less distortion) does not always mean that it will always sound pleasing.

delta76

Major Contributor
Which proves that some distortion can sound pleasing, and shows that an amp that is very clean ( less distortion) does not always mean that it will always sound pleasing.
Distortion is bad because it usually means lack of engineering hygiene, and because it can work with a specific speaker and specific listener, but will be very bad to other speakers and other listeners.
A clean amp can work with any speakers (given enough power to drive them) and then you can EQ to your liking

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s really difficult tell the difference between two amps at normal listening levels. Others here, who have access to a lot of gear can probably pick up nuances I’m not experienced enough to discern. Listening memory is very unreliable way to judge amps. I believe I’ve heard a difference swapping out the 3 amps I own in the same listening session, but it is very small differences. And I might be kidding myself. When you start pushing the amps at higher listening levels, then I feel I can hear a difference. For example I have a 40w KT88 tube amp that starts to sound muddy when I turn it up to 11. Paying more should get you more long term reliable watts and the ability to deal with more difficult speakers loads. But as we know, that is not always the case and I’m sure twice the price does not equal twice as good. But I certainly would have no problem dropping $4k on something like a Benchmark AHB2. Its built like a tank, can drive anything, and is SOTA.

kaopad999

Distortion is bad because it usually means lack of engineering hygiene, and because it can work with a specific speaker and specific listener, but will be very bad to other speakers and other listeners.
A clean amp can work with any speakers (given enough power to drive them) and then you can EQ to your liking
I get your point but two amps that messure well will not mean that they will both sound the same. HD levels, power and other factors plus different manufacturers use different components

Top Bottom