• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Indeed.
When playing music even with 6x600W peaks the average drawn current would be far, far below the 16A average.
Something for everyone to remember. Unless a buyer is looking for a very tiny machine shop welder, 99% of the owners will never come close to utilizing the total power of this amp. Or, they will be doing hearing aid commercials in a month!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
As an electrician, I’d be pretty surprised if someone actually managed to trip a house breaker with one of these, but there’s firsts for everything.

As for the amplifier, these things are the bees knees. I use a 6 channel one he made for me that’s 2x500, 2x250 and 2x125 for my active 3 way fronts and it works perfectly and silently. No class AB transformer hum, no weight, much less heat, no power supply harmonics spraying across the FFT graphs, no hiss, no complaints.

McFly, as an electrician, what is a general average guess at the approximate cost to have an electrician come and install or convert a 120 to a 240 wall plug? I have always wondered at what the cost range would be. $300 to $400? More? Thanks for any info.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McFly, as an electrician, what is a general average guess at the approximate cost to have an electrician come and install or convert a 120 to a 240 wall plug? I have always wondered at what the cost range would be. $300 to $400? More? Thanks for any info.
That's kinda tough without knowing what wall issues there are as a new home run will need to be pulled.

Schollaudio

Indeed.
When playing music even with 6x600W peaks the average drawn current would be far, far below the 16A average.
True, with material with 10DB headroom that would be 60watts a channel. Hopefully the PSU can handle the peaks and recharge without full current draw. I have an amp that's 200watts. Using a scope for 60V p-p peaks the amps power meter only measures 20watts. Using 95db sens speakers that's very loud. I rarely play that system with the power meters above 1watt.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not really. It is one of the trade offs for the lower pricing. I'll never claim to have cases comparable to the other brands so I understand for some people it is a make or break consideration.
Fwiw, I think your cases look just fine. I prefer to decorate my living room with art, pottery, photo prints, not with consumer electronics.

pma

Major Contributor
I am talking about specs, not about opinions. The review does not cover any specs. I do not know if the manufacturer specifies the amp at 6x500W/4ohm and what current consumption specifies from 120V then. Maybe @Buckeye Amps would tell us.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps do you think it's possible to do a 6 or 8 channel amp with different power ratings for each channel?

125/125/250/500 or something for a 4 way speaker, or 125/250/500? You get the idea. I know that's relatively easy with icePower but it looks like Hypex has fewer options.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Im out here scared of leaving a Rice Cooker and Electric Kettle on in the same 2 port outlet lol
The breaker/fuse will just cut in and you flip it back after turning one off. Not much that can go wrong.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps do you think it's possible to do a 6 or 8 channel amp with different power ratings for each channel?

125/125/250/500 or something for a 4 way speaker, or 125/250/500? You get the idea. I know that's relatively easy with icePower but it looks like Hypex has fewer options.

I think he offers that service already.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a straight up assembly job with six Hypex units in a Ghent case, and an upside down install of the XLR inputs. Easy enough to rectify. Probably won't even require a soldering iron.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

At this time I offer a mixture of NC252 and NC502 options.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
FYI the cost from Buckeye was: $1,579.00 USD delivered.

@amirm, thank you kindly for accomplishing this amp testing and squeezing it in your ever increasing backlog of devices to be tested. Very much appreciated. :cool:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am talking about specs, not about opinions. The review does not cover any specs. I do not know if the manufacturer specifies the amp at 6x500W/4ohm and what current consumption specifies from 120V then. Maybe @Buckeye Amps would tell us.
Hypex specifications for the NC502MP:
- 2x500w @ 4ohms
- 2x350w @ 8ohms

Walter

Yup. Even them. So long as you don’t listen to sine waves or test the amp into load banks, I think you’d be fine.

If you ran 6 subwoofers you might get the fuse warm. That’d be how you’d do it if you were gonna do it.
That sounds like fun!

Walter

Not really. It is one of the trade offs for the lower pricing. I'll never claim to have cases comparable to the other brands so I understand for some people it is a make or break consideration.
I'd say your order backlog shows you have made a good call in that respect. Maybe a more upscale and expensive case is something you would want to consider as an option in the future if you expand as you have discussed. Or maybe not, if that does not fit your plan for your brand.
Regarding the upside down XLR connectors:

You'll see in any of the tear downs I use screw (solderless) XLR connectors. If I orient the connectors properly it makes it extremely difficult to insert the wires.
That's it! I KNEW you had explained the reason in another thread but I couldn't find it.

RHG55

It appears that my NAD M27, which Amir reviewed in September 2019, still out performs any multichannel amplifier so far, including this Buckeye, and it has a 420 Watt output at 4 Ohms when it drives only two speakers.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RE casing, personally I prefer a plain black box. I want my amp to disappear visually as well as sonically when I'm enjoying listening to music. Different strokes for different folks of course.

Jdunk54nl

It appears that my NAD M27, which Amir reviewed in September 2019, still out performs any multichannel amplifier so far, including this Buckeye, and it has a 420 Watt output at 4 Ohms when it drives only two speakers.

Ya, at a cost of $5000 for a newer version nad m28 you get 7 channels. You can get 3 of these Buckeye 6 channel amps for a total of 18 channels for that cost

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

But the price!

Top Bottom