• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am Debating on getting either:

Buckeyes Hypex NC502MP Amplifier, 4-channel

Or

VTV PASCAL L-PRO2S Four Channel Amplifier 4X800W

I can afford the $250 price difference.

Is there a reason to get one over the other ??
This would be to just power my LCR speakers in my HT.

LR Speakers: Emotiva B1+
Center: Emotiva C2+
AVR: Integra DRX 3.4
Buckeye has shown better build quality on the units tested here.

VTV probably has a much lower order backlog and can therefore ship sooner.

Buckeye has added a clipping indicator and some other feature I can't remember, and redesigned the case since this review.

I'd go with Buckeye unless you just can't wait, even if it wasn't less expensive.

Scott586

Forgive me if this question is out of place. I've been looking at buying a preowned class AB amp such as an Anthem MCA 325 which is rated at 400 watts x 3 into 4 ohms, weighing 45 pounds, & a ballpark used pricing at $1,000. Perhaps I'm just old school, but can it really be possible that a decent Anthem amp is being surpassed by a 10 pound class D Buckeye Nc502mp? I'm having a hard time wrapping my prehistoric mind around it. I grew up with the understanding that amplifiers were sold by the pound. If it's really heavy, it must be really good! Does anyone else struggle with this concept?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgive me if this question is out of place. I've been looking at buying a preowned class AB amp such as an Anthem MCA 325 which is rated at 400 watts x 3 into 4 ohms, weighing 45 pounds, & a ballpark used pricing at $1,000. Perhaps I'm just old school, but can it really be possible that a decent Anthem amp is being surpassed by a 10 pound class D Buckeye Nc502mp? I'm having a hard time wrapping my prehistoric mind around it. I grew up with the understanding that amplifiers were sold by the pound. If it's really heavy, it must be really good! Does anyone else struggle with this concept?

I very much struggled with this issue until early 2020 when, after reading around for a couple of years and reading several of Amir's reviews here, I became convinced that a Purifi-based amp would provide as much real-world power as I personally need (about 150w x2 into 8 ohms with a 2V unbalanced signal feeding the amp), and would give me so much performance that even if my particular unit didn't perform quite as well as the ones Amir was testing, it would still be audibly transparent.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain how I was able to make the mental switch, but part of it was that my prior amp (an Adcom GFA-5400) was pretty long in the tooth and I'd gotten sick of the lack of speaker protection, the need for a DC blocker (otherwise its giant toroidal transformer would mechanically hum from the dirty AC in my area), and the heat it generated.

Now, all that said, a Purifi or Hypex "400" amp is not going to deliver 400w per channel into 4 ohms. It's going to be more like 250-300w. Still plenty, but if you want to have 400+ real-world watts available, then I think you have to go for the "1200" Hypex modules. Others can (and no doubt will!) correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Yes, I did as well. Old school was if it was not heavy as concrete it was crap. One amp I owned was so heavy I needed a hand truck to move it. Then I read Amir’s review on the First Buckeye Amp and that was all I needed to try one myself. I now own 2 Six channel 502 Buckeye Amps and sold the old heavyweight. They are small, light, cool, easy to move and place. They work really well and the price per watt factor is crazy good. So yes, I did struggle with the concept. But I struggle no more. I highly recommend you give these new class d amps a try. I can lift both 6ch amps with one hand. They provide 3K watts @ 4ohms each. Incredible and real. I drive some heavy load Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers and the amps running them will power them all day and not get warmer than 6-8 degrees above ambient room temperature.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I drive an electric car that is faster than any gas car I've ever owned, V8s included. I do not struggle with this concept. Technology marches on.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@AdamG247 "I can lift both 6ch amps with one hand." ...I know they're light but, strong dude!

You can get some idea about PURIFI and who is behind the name, Peter Lyngdorf, Bruno Putzeys, and Lars Risbo.

Most of the credit for this type of Class-D amplifier design is credited to Bruno Putzeys. (He is the main tech person Behind Hypex/Purifi ventures).

You can listen to a conversation between John Darko and Bruno Putzeys,

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko%2Fexpert-opinion-bruno-putzeys-purifi-mola-mola-hypex
Give's you some background to the technical domain

Nice article, https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Purifi-news-by-Jez-Ford-SoundImage-magazine-.pdf

The Class A/B design has been the most prominent type available, but it is in-efficient, the weight come from the transforms that facilitate the required power output. This is why we have so many issues with modern AVR which are underperforming on multi-channel output delivery!

Hypex nCore / PURIFI Eigentakt modules are available for systems integrators. The modules have some flexibility when it comes to what features are to be exposed to the end-user, as of now I see Buckeye and VTV as low-cost integrators catering to this market, but there could be quality-related / implementation issues.

Monoprice is also supposed to ship some Hypex nCore amps,

As of now, NAD seems to have a comprehensive range of amplifier products from Hypex UcD and PURIFI Eigentakt components. ( The NAD approach uses Class-D amps with traditional Transformers )

Several European manufacturers provide similar products, notably Apollon audio.

I sincerely hope for the sake of our environment, energy, and operations efficiency point of view that Bruno and the team be able to bring the next wave of class-(D) ?! to be the most superior audio amplifier tech on the planet!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm having a hard time wrapping my prehistoric mind around it. I grew up with the understanding that amplifiers were sold by the pound.
Yep, me too. Scary ain't it, just does't seem to meet the laws of physics? When you look inside they don't have much more in them than the average wall wart.

Tom C

Major Contributor
For me, the struggle was real. But excellence in class D is for real, too.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
as of now I see Buckeye and VTV as low-cost integrators catering to this market, but there could be quality-related / implementation issues.
Speaking for my products, I'm always open to hear of any quality or implementation issues needing addressed...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking for my products, I'm always open to hear of any quality or implementation issues needing addressed...
I hope he was speaking mainly of VTV, who have clearly been underperforming in the assembly/wiring area but you have taken all constructive criticism and corrected any wiring or module placement or grounding problems quickly so good on you!

I was referring to issues discussed in this forum mostly and I am well aware that you actively participate in this forum and provide the best service for your product! I truly appreciate your efforts in providing access to a world-class product at a reasonable price!

Holmz

Major Contributor

I sincerely hope for the sake of our environment, energy, and operations efficiency point of view that Bruno and the team be able to bring the next wave of class-(D) ?! to be the most superior audio amplifier tech on the planet!

Depends on how one defines superior?
He did mentioned the Benchmark and another one, as being the competition.

So people only abide linear amps will not get an Eigentot, and people that want high efficiency and low heat, will only get the Purifi.
I would take of those as being at the pointy (but blunt) end of what is currently superior to the other N-3 set of amps.

I think that it will be interesting to see where the Atmasphere lines up in that list.

So it is possible that having more “superior” amps could be better than a single one?
(And the superior includes the many purifi based derivatives, like the Buckeye.)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I can only think of two old very minor stuff that you are aware of already but since you mention it now.

1) Include a standby switch for the Ghentaudio case, obviously charge for it as an option. There are good small switches that can fit that case.
2) Install the XLR inputs the right side up. It is true that most people only have to plug it once, but for those who have to do is often enough, it is a pain for sure.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I can only think of two old very minor stuff that you are aware of already but since you mention it now.

1) Include a standby switch for the Ghentaudio case, obviously charge for it as an option. There are good small switches that can fit that case.
2) Install the XLR inputs the right side up. It is true that most people only have to plug it once, but for those who have to do is often enough, it is a pain for sure.
With the new input boards being made for my builds, the XLR's will finally be upright :cool:

Regarding the Ghent option: the main issue is I don't control those cases in terms of cutout/layout. And with the front faceplate being as thick as it is, drilling it to add a switch would not be ideal.

With the new input boards being made for my builds, the XLR's will finally be upright :cool:

Regarding the Ghent option: the main issue is I don't control those cases in terms of cutout/layout. And with the front faceplate being as thick as it is, drilling it to add a switch would not be ideal.
In my view, it is good to have two IEC in-lets on multi-channel models like 8 channels. Check the Apollon and Monolith design.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my view, it is good to have two IEC in-lets on multi-channel models like 8 channels. Check the Apollon and Monolith design.
That only matters too for those that have two separate outlets to utilize this feature. If you have two plugs, and it is all coming from the same 15a circuit, there is no point to it, it just uses another plug.
But if you have two 15a (or better yet 20a or 30a circuits) then this makes a lot more sense.

They also do not make a whole lot of sense if you are using subwoofers and crossing your speakers over...not matter the # of separate outlets you have

Top Bottom