• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC 252MP 6 Channel Hypex Amplifier is Great!

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
I just received my 6 Channel Hypex amp from Buckeye and I immediately plugged it in. I'm running it through my Homemade ported Bookshelf speakers that measure +/- 2db from 60Hz-20K and are +/- 1db for most of it. I'm running Tidal through a USB Scarlet into minidsp 4x10 to process for the homemade sealed sub I'm using. The sub is being powered by a Crown Class D amplifier. I listened without the sub first. I was previously using a Parasound Zamp V3 on the main speakers.
The Buckeye is far better sounding. Yes, some of that is probably due to it having more power, but it is clearly cleaner and faster than the Parasound. I also like the top end of the Buckeye. Many Class D amps suffer in the upper registers but this one delivers clean power even as I turn it up really loud. The amp has more power than the speakers can handle. Transients are fast and clean with the driver settling time much faster to my ear (I haven't taken measurements, but I bet it would be clear with this amp). I will be using this amplifier as the driver for a project that will be tri-amped so I will be able to test all 6 channels.
The amplifier is really light. It only takes XLR in (which is fine for me). I like it's simplicity and it delivers the source true to form. I love a good clean amp and will probably be putting a dirty tube preamp in front of it at some point (sorry Amir!!) just to see what it does with some good distortion.
Cheers to Dylan at Buckeye. He was easy to deal with, delivered everything promptly and on time. He responded very quickly to emails. I think he's going to get very busy with these amplifiers as this one is probably the best sounding Class D I have heard.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Question: Are there any changes planned to the NC252 modules in the near term? I am thinking of getting his 2 channel model, but wondering if I should order this year or wait until next year...seems like there a fair number of updated Hypex modules coming out? This would be for my main living room system, I don't really need that much power in my other setups.

OP
ThatSoundsGood

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
Question: Are there any changes planned to the NC252 modules in the near term? I am thinking of getting his 2 channel model, but wondering if I should order this year or wait until next year...seems like there a fair number of updated Hypex modules coming out? This would be for my main living room system, I don't really need that much power in my other setups.

I don't have any idea but you can visit the Buckeye website and ask Dylan about it. He's very responsive and easy to chat with. I am blown away by my amplifier and I'm not sure what else you would gain by a newer module since the distortion is already so low and the amplifier already performs so well.

Top Bottom