• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Hypex Nc502mp Multichannel Amp Teardown

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I fixed the fraying around the crimp
Crimping is the work of the devil incarnate.
1637009506500.png
1637009537500.png

Why even bother using FastOns when the posts clearly show a stamped/punched hole for soldering?
And if you really are dead-set to use FastOns, it would take you just a few minutes to dab it properly w/some solder.
It isn't that you gonna take it on/off like a wall plug (<<if anything) and since you are already up'ing the guts, a "little dab'll do"!
The use of heat-shrink "looks" to be sporadic and not consistent... especially this one below:
Snag_19261615.png

Learn to love sniffing solder fumes, like it was your version of foreplay before a sex listening session.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I will always be the first to admit I have never been the best at soldering. While I have gotten better for simple projects, it is still not a favorite of mine. Hence one of the reasons I went with screw-on Neutrik XLR connectors.

The only connection that is soldered in my amps is the 12v trigger input connector, which is the one pictured above with the ugly looking heat shrink. That heat shrink piece isn't necessary but I add it to help keep the wires from moving/ever coming loose.

I will agree though, soldering fumes are slightly nice

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will always be the first to admit I have never been the best at soldering.
You don't even need steady hands... Spending good money on a proper soldering station, w/variable temp and buncha different tips is all that it takes and pays a lifetime of dividends.... and... and... and. we would not be bogging down this post.;)
Like breaking starch: Once you see that shiny liquifying solder (while holding your breath) you know you're in the flow.

howard416

Crimping is the work of the devil incarnate.
View attachment 165693 View attachment 165694
Why even bother using FastOns when the posts clearly show a stamped/punched hole for soldering?
And if you really are dead-set to use FastOns, it would take you just a few minutes to dab it properly w/some solder.
It isn't that you gonna take it on/off like a wall plug (<<if anything) and since you are already up'ing the guts, a "little dab'll do"!
The use of heat-shrink "looks" to be sporadic and not consistent... especially this one below:
View attachment 165695
Learn to love sniffing solder fumes, like it was your version of foreplay before a sex listening session.
We don't actually know if those holes are for soldering or not. They might just be there to make fabrication of the terminals easier.

Mostly-unrelated, fun video:

If I had to guess, those quick disconnect tabs are nickel-plated... which is practically unsolderable.

Crimp connections are not intended to be soldered and absolutely do a fine job, when using good-quality parts assembled in accordance with good practice. Don't solder your crimp connections unless you really know what you are doing (i.e. can keep the solder from wicking into the crimped wire strands) and don't mind veering far from the manufacturer's instructions.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...We don't actually know if those holes are for soldering or not. They might just be there to make fabrication of the terminals easier...
Does it really matter what they maybe for? I am trigger-happy with my soldering iron >> I shoot first, then (maybe) I ask questions!;)

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does it really matter what they maybe for? I am trigger-happy with my soldering iron >> I shoot first, then (maybe) I ask questions!;)
Yes. Are they made to withstand the heat applied during the soldering process? Does the metal that they are made out of actually work with solder? Too many questions to just jump to "you must solder". Solder isn't always the solution and actually has its own set of issues compared to crimp connectors. Situational awareness of when one should be used over the other is needed.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

howard416

... did you not read the part where I said they might be nickel-plated? And also, as @Jdunk54nl mentioned, if they're not actually intended for soldering, you might just be ruining the part by trying to do so.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
did you not read the part where I said they might
LOL, I use braille, duh!
I was not talking about hypotheticals ('might'), I was talking about factuals ('is/was'). Thank you!

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just for clarity: The IEC module is intended for use with 0.187" Quick Connects. The Speaker Binding posts are intended for use with 0.205" Quick Connects. And the 12v Trigger Relay is intended for use with 0.250" and 0.187" Quick Connects.

The only thing I use that is intended to be soldered is the 3.5mm input jack, which has solder eyelets.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure there are FastOns designed to take solder -- but in this particular application, those would entail a good deal of extra assembly time vs. properly executed crimps.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Ol'skool used to say "Crimp where you can, solder where you have to."
Boy, oh Boy! Was I raised on the wrong side of the railroad tracks?
View attachment 166726
Electrical Repair – To Crimp or Solder?
"You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is not true! I am proof!

Of course, home audio applications seldom involve the connections being flexed or vibrated in use, thus making many of the advantages of crimping pretty much irrelevant -- so we're back to comparing assembly time and required skill level which, given a decent tool for the job, favors crimping for building products like this category of amplifier.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will always be the first to admit I have never been the best at soldering.
Not something anyone should be happy to hear from someone manufacturing electronic equipment. :eek:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
same getting a station now waited to long , step up to plumbing copper endless fun @burning shit including stuff you dident mean to .

Rothenberger Super Fire 2 MAP & Propane Brazing Torch the options are hot.

Actually my smack-in-the-forehead also discovered that there are really three types of conductive (galvanic? or wutevr) joining:
1)Solder, 2)Crimp, and 3)Compression. 2 and 3 seem similar but some make a distinction.
Brazing (even welding) is a whole other topic...

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Not something anyone should be happy to hear from someone manufacturing electronic equipment. :eek:
But aside from two connections (which I can solder perfectly fine), my builds do not rely on soldering so why should it matter?

I've actually been upfront about my approach and short comings from Day 1 over a year ago. I understand as more attention is garnered from reviews I will encounter smaller and smaller requests or critiques, which is fine. But my approach and stance has not changed. Still doing my best to offer an entry level price into the NCxxxMP series.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is he "manufacturing" or assembling?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
But aside from two connections (which I can solder perfectly fine), my builds do not rely on soldering so why should it matter?

I've actually been upfront about my approach and short comings from Day 1 over a year ago. I understand as more attention is garnered from reviews I will encounter smaller and smaller requests or critiques, which is fine. But my approach and stance has not changed. Still doing my best to offer an entry level price into the NCxxxMP series.
Your honesty and integrity is refreshing. :cool:

Top Bottom