• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I will be trying a sample of the Micro Audio 1k SMPS which outputs +/- 70V for my mono 1ET7040SA builds (like a certain competitor uses). Though this won't be happening for a month or so.

Once I verify it works as intended/no issues with the current input buffer/setup, I will be offering customers two choices for the Mono 1ET7040SA: current price of $929 using the Hypex SMPS1200 or upgrade to the Micro Audio for a set price (between $999 to $1049, will depend on how many I order initially).

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
To address the recent 3ch Review by Amir:

This was not expected and was not an attempt to have a known/flawed product pushed through review. While we did robust testing during development and prototyping, I cannot account for why this issue was not identified or observed early on. But I do take full responsibility.

As Amir briefly acknowledged, now that we are aware of and able to reproduce the issue on our end, we have been testing furiously to identify the exact cause so we can produce a fix. Transparency and communication with the community has been one of the "pillars" I've tried to build my business upon. As soon as we identify the exact issue and the appropriate fix, it will be implemented ASAP, including for current customers as needed.

Anyone who has received or is expected to receive their amplifier (UPS label generated but waiting on pickup after this winter storm clears): I do not have a definitive timeline on the fix yet. We are still narrowing it down. The worst case scenario is a few weeks if new input boards need to be manufactured. In that worst case scenario, a new input board would be sent out to any customer who had comfortable DIY skills to change it out. Otherwise shipping of the amp for a quick replacement by me would obviously be covered as well.

As the issue is likely inaudible, I would have no hesitation recommending using the amp as is while a fix is produced. I say this as someone who is currently using a 3ch Purifi for their main LCR setup as well. I do not say that, however, as a way to try and brush off these results. If you feel cheated or uneasy and want to wait to receive your order or even cancel it, I understand. I just want customers to know they can receive and use their amp without "issue" for the time being as a fix is produced.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps - would a 2 channel amp be susceptible to this issue? Are the input buffers the same?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps - would a 2 channel amp be susceptible to this issue? Are the input buffers the same?
Unfortunately yes. So when I talk about a fix and subsequent handling customers who already have an amp, it applies to all Purifi.

It DOES NOT apply to the Hypex input boards, however (there will be an 8ch NC502MP Hypex going to Amir soon which will show the Hypex builds are fine, so no worries there).

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unfortunately yes. So when I talk about a fix and subsequent handling customers who already have an amp, it applies to all Purifi.

It DOES NOT apply to the Hypex input boards, however (there will be an 8ch NC502MP Hypex going to Amir soon which will show the Hypex builds are fine, so no worries there).

No worries here. I’m sure that you’ll get this resolved and make things right.

kevinsullivan

If we're just receiving Purifi units about now, should we unbox them, send them back, use them? Please advise on that. Thank you.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If we're just receiving Purifi units about now, should we unbox them, send them back, use them? Please advise on that. Thank you.
Use them. While the measured distortion in Amir's review is highly unlikely to be audible or impact performance in such a way, I am still going to get the distortion resolved and will coordinate with existing customers when appropriate.

It is likely to take several weeks minimum, hence why I'd rather customers have their amps to use for now.

kevinsullivan

Use them. While the measured distortion in Amir's review is highly unlikely to be audible or impact performance in such a way, I am still going to get the distortion resolved and will coordinate with existing customers when appropriate.

It is likely to take several weeks minimum, hence why I'd rather customers have their amps to use for now.
Thank you, that sounds good. The community seems supportive. Late-found design issues are always a drag. Sorry a glitch got through. It'll be interesting to hear the diagnosis.

ivo.f.doma

Hi Dylan. I have such a heretical question/thought. Since you already designed the equalization board yourself and now you are going to modify it, wouldn't it be a good idea to increase the highest gain from approx. 25dB to approx. 28dB, which would help all AVR owners as much as possible. No one else makes such a board, it would be your unique advantage! Maybe then you could sell individual leveling boards as well...
It might be worth a forum members vote for your information.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi Dylan. I have such a heretical question/thought. Since you already designed the equalization board yourself and now you are going to modify it, wouldn't it be a good idea to increase the highest gain from approx. 25dB to approx. 28dB, which would help all AVR owners as much as possible. No one else makes such a board, it would be your unique advantage! Maybe then you could sell individual leveling boards as well...
It might be worth a forum members vote for your information.
We had thought about this, but since there is a good mixture of people who use Purifi with Hypex, we also wanted to have the High sttting gain matched to the Hypex modules.

There is also a chance we may not have to modify the board to begin with. Waiting for more info.

kevinsullivan

We had thought about this, but since there is a good mixture of people who use Purifi with Hypex, we also wanted to have the High sttting gain matched to the Hypex modules.

There is also a chance we may not have to modify the board to begin with. Waiting for more info.
The least risky, lowest cost. high-payoff path will be to find the minimal satisfactory repair for the one outstanding issue, separating out any other modifications for another time.

Keened

Forum Donor
The least risky, lowest cost. high-payoff path will be to find the minimal satisfactory repair for the one outstanding issue, separating out any other modifications for another time.
Eh, if it requires new boards and the original designer/production company isn't willing to eat part of the cost, might as well update the design.

Now that they have better ideas of the parameters they need to test they could add features without risking back sliding unless it is a radically different addition.

Adding RCA in would be a welcome addition even though it's a bit of a waste with purifi in particular. It would allow some level of basic source switching, and the design would carry over for the larger channel designs or mixed module designs for AVR amplification.

ivo.f.doma

Thank you for your response. And would there be a big technical intervention from 25dB to 28dB? Couldn't it be offered for money as an option?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for your response. And would there be a big technical intervention from 25dB to 28dB? Couldn't it be offered for money as an option?
It would require changing the gain stage, which would mean a different board or revision.

Top Bottom