• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

vtor

Listening to the 3 channel Buckeye Purifi and...well, my ears are truly ringing now but tonight managed to get the red clipping light to flash (intermittently) listening to some vintage Bowie-"Station to Station". I was surprised that the light illuminated, even briefly, as the F208's seemed to be handling the power well. Now I wonder if I need even more power... I have a rather small room and the listening position is too close so if/when I move and have a deeper room I may have to consider something more powerful. Wish I had a calibrated dB meter. Can one use the UMIK-1 and REW to measure sound pressure? The cheesy phone app read 89 dB but it seemed a bit louder than that.
If you need to make your ears ring in order to make it clip you probably don’t need more power

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you need to make your ears ring in order to make it clip you probably don’t need more power
hence the comment about having a larger, deeper room in the future... I sit very close to these F208's (right at 8 ft) so expect to need a bit more power for HT in a larger, deeper room.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
hence the comment about having a larger, deeper room in the future... I sit very close to these F208's (right at 8 ft) so expect to need a bit more power for HT in a larger, deeper room.
Are you using a subwoofer(s) and/or how deep do you have the crossover set for the F208s?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes-2 subs. Crossed over@ 80 Hz. I listened with subs using Dolby Surround then without subs running straight through the Freya+>Buckeye Purifi (using 2 of the 3 channels)>F208s. Got the clipping indicator to flash briefly using either set up but the light only flickered. Any louder and I would have had to use rear plugs. Despite the flickering the sound wasn't audibly distorting.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes-2 subs. Crossed over@ 80 Hz. I listened with subs using Dolby Surround then without subs running straight through the Freya+>Buckeye Purifi (using 2 of the 3 channels)>F208s. Got the clipping indicator to flash briefly using either set up but the light only flickered. Any louder and I would have had to use rear plugs. Despite the flickering the sound wasn't audibly distorting.
Got it. I would wait and see if/when you move to a new room. For HT use I doubt you would have an issue if you have to push it that loud using music (which is a more continuous stress then dynamic HT tracks on average)

echt

@Buckeye Amps Have you considered the MicroAudio or alternative power supplies that would allow the full power from the Purifi 1ET7040SA modules in your mono blocks? If not, curious what design/cost factors come into play. Thanks.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Have you considered the MicroAudio or alternative power supplies that would allow the full power from the Purifi 1ET7040SA modules in your mono blocks? If not, curious what design/cost factors come into play. Thanks.
I have but at the moment it is a minor issue to tackle in the grand scheme. Mainly it is the current stock of Hypex SMPS I want to use up, plus if I got a Microaudio specific for the 7040SA it means carrying two different smps stock, so not ready for that overhead yet.

Ap007nyc

Are we expecting Amir's review of the 2 or 3-channel models of Buckeye Purifi amps?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And approximately when?
I don't have an ETA. It is in Amir's hands, but as we know he has a very busy schedule as of late due to personal life matters along with his professional duties. I am certainly not going to rush him, I know he is doing his best when he can.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry for the MIA:
I had my dissertation defense this week and have passed, meaning the "Dr" title is official and the road is cleared to devote yet another large amount of time to the business!

On that note:
- I am now pivoting to starting and completing all December ETA orders over the next 10-14 days (most of them are Purifi orders so will not take long to catch up)

itai

Dylan, congrats on the defense. Its a huge milestone and accomplishment.

Best Regards,
Itai

vtor

Sorry for the MIA:
I had my dissertation defense this week and have passed, meaning the "Dr" title is official and the road is cleared to devote yet another large amount of time to the business!

On that note:
- I am now pivoting to starting and completing all December ETA orders over the next 10-14 days (most of them are Purifi orders so will not take long to catch up)
Congrats on the defense!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dr. Dylan's Buckeye Amp Company!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for the MIA:

On that note:
Wowowowowow You made it!!! FantasticO! Dr Dylan the Buckeye amp builder. :D

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great news! No way I could have run a solo successful business when I went down that road. Thats quite an achievement!

Top Bottom