• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts?
Plenty of clean power-no more worries about having enough headroom when watching movies at high volume. Love the auto-sense circuit (only on the new Buckeye amps-the older 252 does need a 12V trigger to turn on/off). No need for triggers or switched power strips.

purrify

I'm interested in the 3ch. It came out among the top after researching many other builds for what I'm looking for my LCR powering a set of B&W floorstanding. It's down to the Buckeye and 1 other and I'd like to know if this unit is or will be UL listed/certified at some point?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
While I am rolling through orders and was just about ready to get started on November orders (had a few Octobers left), I will be taking the next 10 days "off" from builds to finish my dissertation writing.

In all honesty, it won't dramatically affect November orders, as once I am done with the writing that will be the start of me committing more full time hours to the business and builds.

Just wanted to give the community a heads up. Will still be here to answer emails and questions in the timely fashion as usual.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good luck with the dissertation. Btw my 3 ch Purifi is humming along flawlessly.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
You should post your dissertation here. :)
There is a 1yr "embargo" placed on it by my professor once I am finished and upload it to the electronic database in Ohio.....so I can't yet. But after one year definitely will share it of course

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

vtor

Thanks for sharing your review. I'm not sure what to make of these numbers (ie: how comparable they are to Amir's reviews of other Purifi amps since other equipment was used in your review Rick), but SINAD seems a touch worse than the other Purifi's that Amir has reviewed? That said, still looks amazing and nothing to worry about :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing your review. I'm not sure what to make of these numbers (ie: how comparable they are to Amir's reviews of other Purifi amps since other equipment was used in your review Rick), but SINAD seems a touch worse than the other Purifi's that Amir has reviewed? That said, still looks amazing and nothing to worry about :)
Rick can comment on this more, but I believe the "lower" SINAD is due to the limitation of the test equipment

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick can comment on this more, but I believe the "lower" SINAD is due to the limitation of the test equipment

Yes, this is discussed at the start of the measurements thread. I have bolded more to emphasize. The max SINAD for the QA401 I use is 101 dB (in loopback).

With some additional equipment, can get to better SINADs, but want to keep it simpler for me and leave something for Amir too! :D

vtor

Yes, this is discussed at the start of the measurements thread. I have bolded more to emphasize. The max SINAD for the QA401 I use is 101 dB (in loopback).

With some additional equipment, can get to better SINADs, but want to keep it simpler for me and leave something for Amir too! :D
That makes sense; I misinterpreted what that line in the review (and corresponding graph below) meant. Thanks!

TNT

Why even publish measurement when one know that the measurement system is less competent than the test object?

And why did Amir "promote" this?

//

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case I think we knew from pure specifications.

//

In this case, the main reason was to validate the implementation of a custom input board. Yes, the equipment used is not capable of the same degree of noise measurement but is sufficient to demonstrate that the amp functions nominally.

If you are happy with specs, that’s fine. Others had requested some design validation and so, as I had already done for Buckeye, decided to share until Amir can do a more complete review.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
In this case, the main reason was to validate the implementation of a custom input board. Yes, the equipment used is not capable of the same degree of noise measurement but is sufficient to demonstrate that the amp functions nominally.

If you are happy with specs, that’s fine. Others had requested some design validation and so, as I had already done for Buckeye, decided to share until Amir can do a more complete review.
Which I greatly appreciate!

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the real world, iterative design and validation never stops. Why should it be any different here?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How about a nice, white finish?

Attachments

• 20221114_143246.jpg
    20221114_143246.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 705
  • 20221114_143258.jpg