• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe, but suggest you do some math and then share.

I build custom Hypex/Purifi amps. Buying a single case is a major expense and (nicer ones) can have major lead times currently. Unless you readily cut holes for connectors and switches, need to add fabrication costs too. YMMV but DIY may actually be more expensive. :oops:

Sure, it might be more expensive but it might not- and as I said, there is value in getting exactly what I need. The new hypex ps looks to be an improvement over the old one as well. The jury is out until more details are released, that's why I am now on the fence.

bkdc

Forum Donor
I went through a period of building my own class Ds about 15 years ago when I built a bunch of ICEpower amplifiers. That was during a time when I had to make my own harnesses so I was crimping and assembling every cable connection. Definitely not worth the time and effort. With today’s kits, the process is much easier.

We are comparing two indistinguishable transparent amplifiers except for minor quibbles in specs. Except the Purifi handles around 500 watts at 2 ohms and it is unclear whether the Hypex Nilai can plumb that low. I really see no reason to wait on something that won’t be appreciably better and will definitely cost a bit more. But whatever floats your boat. There is always something “better” down the road if you keep waiting.

I’m very much looking forward to receiving my BA Purifi amplifiers.

Last edited:

goryu

I went through a period of building my own class Ds about 15 years ago when I built a bunch of ICEpower amplifiers. That was during a time when I had to make my own harnesses so I was crimping and assembling every cable connection. Definitely not worth the time and effort. With today’s kits, the process is much easier.

We are comparing two indistinguishable transparent amplifiers except for minor quibbles in specs. Except the Purifi handles around 500 watts at 2 ohms and it is unclear whether the Hypex Nilai can plumb that low. I really see no reason to wait on something that won’t be appreciably better and will definitely cost a bit more. But whatever floats your boat. There is always something “better” down the road if you keep waiting.

I’m very much looking forward to receiving my BA Purifi amplifiers.

maybe I haven't made myself clear- it's not about any spec differences in the modules- it's about getting something that fits my needs (4 channels). Also, I enjoy the building process and if these VTV and Buckeye amps weren't available at less than I can buy the parts I would be doing a diy regardless. With the new hypes kit, I expect it will end up being roughly the same cost but I get the pleasure of building myself and making something exactly to my needs. I hope that clarifies things...

bkdc

Forum Donor
maybe I haven't made myself clear- it's not about any spec differences in the modules- it's about getting something that fits my needs (4 channels). Also, I enjoy the building process and if these VTV and Buckeye amps weren't available at less than I can buy the parts I would be doing a diy regardless. With the new hypes kit, I expect it will end up being roughly the same cost but I get the pleasure of building myself and making something exactly to my needs. I hope that clarifies things...

Two separate 2 channel amplifiers would be a lot more flexible. You would need two separate power supplies to feed four amplifier modules anyway unless you go with the SMPS3K from Hypex. And finding a 4-channel chassis for the Nilai (or Purifi) will probably also be the most challenging task. There is satisfaction in making something but custom-machining a chassis is definitely a headache and not cost-efficient. At that point, it’s cheaper to just order the 4 channel Purifi from Audiophonics.

goryu

Two separate 2 channel amplifiers would be a lot more flexible. You would need two separate power supplies to feed four amplifier modules anyway unless you go with the SMPS3K from Hypex. And finding a 4-channel chassis for the Nilai (or Purifi) will probably also be the most challenging task. There is satisfaction in making something but custom-machining a chassis is definitely a headache and not cost-efficient. At that point, it’s cheaper to just order the 4 channel Purifi from Audiophonics.

A friend at the local machine shop can make the back panel for a few cold ones. The rest is no big deal. Maybe a headache for some, but it's a creative exercise that I find enjoyable. It's a hobby, it doesn't have to make sense.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I definitely will never discourage anyone to look into DIY if they have the time, patience, drive, or desire to do so.

Back on topic more though: The 2ch Purifi is in the "official" testing hands of Rick (some know him around here). His results will show if the board is ready for prime time production. Hope to know in a few days!

SCG

The 2ch Purifi is in the "official" testing hands of Rick (some know him around here). His results will show if the board is ready for prime time production. Hope to know in a few days!
Great news, if ready for prime time will you be posting all the test results here so we see how the new design performs? As Rick's reputation gives many folks high confidence in his testing capabilities.

A member here reached out as they do microelectronics design/fabrication and helped me make all the new boards I am using for my Purifi and Hypex lineup. It has allowed me to offer some features on the Purifi not many have.
Do you mind sharing the member here who helped you make all the new boards? As their reputation and the testing results will go a long way in establishing the new boards as a winner out of the gate.

As Amir's testing has shown (and he has stated in his video) the input board/chips can really lower performance if not implemented well.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great news, if ready for prime time will you be posting all the test results here so we see how the new design performs? As Rick's reputation gives many folks high confidence in his testing capabilities.

Do you mind sharing the member here who helped you make all the new boards? As their reputation and the testing results will go a long way in establishing the new boards as a winner out of the gate.

As Amir's testing has shown (and he has stated in his video) the input board/chips can really lower performance if not implemented well.
I can share the Power vs. THD graph when Rick is done.

As far as the person/company helping me with the input and buffer boards, they have asked to remain private at this time.

SCG

I can share the Power vs. THD graph when Rick is done.
Would recommend the FFT and SINAD results as even the poor input boards had good (not great) Power vs. THD graphs
As far as the person/company helping me with the input and buffer boards, they have asked to remain private at this time.
Ah, they're waiting to see the test results too.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for the kind words, but want to manage some expectations on my measurements:
  1. While my Quantasylum test equipment is capable of many of the same tests as Amir does, it is not as quiet. My test goal is to look for potential flaws or inconsistencies in a product implementation. Consider my role to be more quality control with respect to testing Buckeye product. The designer should be verifying his performance goals are met before my testing commences.
  2. I had an incident with my QA451 dummy load over the weekend and it will need to go in for repair. Am still assessing the impact but have created a more robust dummy load for testing in the meanwhile. So for now, I am limping along and am confident about using my current rig to test for relative performance. I would not recommend using my numbers for accurate SINAD at this time.
Given the above, if you are concerned about whether the amp gets that really high SINAD rating, you should wait until Amir tests. I am just trying to help Buckeye ship well made products. My tests help assure that what Amir tests is good. While will do my best to enable the implementation achieves SOTA measurements, my current rig is simply not capable of measuring that level of performance.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Last edited:

SCG

Rick, thanks for the input on your testing portion, that's very helpful. As this is a brand new design on the input/buffer board by an unknown supplier (and an area where other's have had issues) I'm personally looking to verify that no harm has been done (compared to the Purifi amp) and only goodness (features) have been added so I can place an order.

I know in that same spirit as you, Amir wants to test and verify competent designs and has stated he's not a beta tester and gets disappointed when he feels a piece of equipment is seeing a test rig for the 1st time (as some results has clearly shown in his tests) and where simple changes could of been implemented in the design and/or layout.

I may be putting the cart before the horse and may need to slow my roll until the new amps have gone thru yours and his testing (which is TBD now) before deciding on ordering.

Last edited:

csroc

Count me as interested in the two channel design. I'm still reading through everything but it sounds like the design is in flux still, and the info on the buckeye site doesn't necessarily reflect the finished product?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Count me as interested in the two channel design. I'm still reading through everything but it sounds like the design is in flux still, and the info on the buckeye site doesn't necessarily reflect the finished product?
Design is concrete, just waiting on the final production boards. Will have actual build pictures added once I do the first build. Specs/information on the website page is up to date

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OK, so the Purifi board should be 100% ready to go for production now.
Like the Hypex board, there was a small issue with distortion on the channel coupled to the Auto Sense. It has been resolved and all seems to be good from the testing side (big thanks to @Rick Sykora)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's great news. When do you think you'll send a unit to Amir?
Honestly, it would be end of summer to get one in his hands and then whatever his backlog is.

I'm not trying to avoid his official review. But the first priority is filling orders of those who wanted to purchase knowing a review wouldn't be ready. Then I can get one out to him.

FWIW, the testing done on the amp by both Rick and my PCB collaborator both show the same THD vs. power curves, which now match what a Purifi build should be capable of if the input board is not causing issues. So one of the bread and butter tests is confirmed for expected performance.

louger

I may be mistaken, though I think there was also an issue at one point with the Hypex power supplies for the Purifi builds being on backorder. Have you received what you need for current orders, or is availability still an issue?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I may be mistaken, though I think there was also an issue at one point with the Hypex power supplies for the Purifi builds being on backorder. Have you received what you need for current orders, or is availability still an issue?
I have plenty of inventory at the moment

csroc

OK, so the Purifi board should be 100% ready to go for production now.
Like the Hypex board, there was a small issue with distortion on the channel coupled to the Auto Sense. It has been resolved and all seems to be good from the testing side (big thanks to @Rick Sykora)
This is great news, can't wait to hear more.

I will probably be looking for something around the end of the year/early next and this is high on my list.

Top Bottom