• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

droid2000

Call for help:

I am need of a Graphics/UI Designer for a new product I am working on. Should be easy work.

As I am trying to keep the product somewhat under wraps, really only looking for established members to respond.

Please PM me here if interested.
Sweet. VU meters on deck! ;)

Bachemar

Forum Donor
“Smart Amp” connect your amp to an app on your phone via Bluetooth!

Because, you know.. Everything is better with an app and Bluetooth!

vtor

Got my parts in today for the distortion issue fix. The instructions Buckeye posted earlier were spot on, and everything works as expected. Now, there isn't an audible difference because of how small the issue was (and I don't have gear to put this to the test), so I can't tell exactly what changed other than what's been reported here, but I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks @Buckeye Amps!

Hapo

...methinks I am going to change my Buckeye order...

...the Hypex NCx500 has much more power @ 8 and 4 ohm but I am more interested in what happens @ 2ohm...

...I am pretty much confused by most of this, but I understand 40 vs 28 amps...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...methinks I am going to change my Buckeye order...

...the Hypex NCx500 has much more power @ 8 and 4 ohm but I am more interested in what happens @ 2ohm...

...I am pretty much confused by most of this, but I understand 40 vs 28 amps...
As long as you need all that power. Think big woofers hitting loud bass notes in your speakers, assuming they have low impedance too.

Hapo

...my stack runs @ 2ohms...I don't think it needs a kilowatt, but it is nicer to have more power than we need than not enough to avoid distortion...that is what blows tweeters...

...I did change my Buckeye order from (2X) NCx500 to 1ET4070SA @ the tune of $570 for the change...but now I want to change it again...LoL...

Last edited:

ivo.f.doma

...my stack runs @ 2ohms...I don't think it needs a kilowatt, but it is nicer to have more power than we need than not enough to avoid distortion...that is what blows tweeters...

...I did change my Buckeye order from (2X) NCx500 to 1ET4070SA @ the tune of $570 for the change...but now I want to change it again...LoL...

It's a pleasure to do business with you... :)

GPx86

@Buckeye Amps What is the rear panel layout for the mono amp chassis? I have 1ET7040SA monos on preorder. I am hoping the mono configuration will have the binding posts and XLR input spaced out so spades are not impeded by the XLR connector below. The 2+ channel Buckeye amps all seem to have the binding posts above the XLR input which I find to be problematic. Any photos of the mono rear panel?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps What is the rear panel layout for the mono amp chassis? I have 1ET7040SA monos on preorder. I am hoping the mono configuration will have the binding posts and XLR input spaced out so spades are not impeded by the XLR connector below. The 2+ channel Buckeye amps all seem to have the binding posts above the XLR input which I find to be problematic. Any photos of the mono rear panel?
It is the same layout as the 2/3ch, with Binding Posts above the XLR.

I have not had negative feedback to date of there not being enough room to use spades.

amper42

Major Contributor
Our Spring Purifi sale is now live on the website!

Dylan,
How does an amp customer choose between the Purifi or the Hypex NCx500 NCOREx? Will the Buckeye Hypex NCx500 measure at the same exact level as the one built by Rick Sykora reviewed on ASR?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dylan,
How does an amp customer choose between the Purifi or the Hypex NCx500 NCOREx? Will the Buckeye Hypex NCx500 measure at the same exact level as the one built by Rick Sykora reviewed on ASR?
One thing to keep in mind when looking at the NCx review: use the Buffered measurements Amir took (further down the review post).

When you compare the NCx with buffer vs. the Purifi the differences in all categories besides power is nearly negligible. So audibly: I would bet 99.9% of the time someone would not be able to hear the difference between the NCx or the Purifi.

So it basically comes down to cost and availability.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO looking at 5W FFT is just different flavours of excellence.

index.php

index.php

But the THD+N x power curve gives an advantage to the NCx500 in terms of more power available at a slightly higher distortion (still excellent though).

index.php

index.php

Since both are practically the same price, if I were buying a new amp today, between the two, I would choose the NCx500.

amper42

Major Contributor
One thing to keep in mind when looking at the NCx review: use the Buffered measurements Amir took (further down the review post).

When you compare the NCx with buffer vs. the Purifi the differences in all categories besides power is nearly negligible. So audibly: I would bet 99.9% of the time someone would not be able to hear the difference between the NCx or the Purifi.

So it basically comes down to cost and availability.

1. Will the Buckeye low gain buffer measure the same as the NCx500 without the 26db Hypex buffer?

2. When you say jumpers can be used to change gain later, does that mean the Buckeye buffer and the Hypex buffer are included and can be simply switched with jumpers? Or does it mean you can jumper the Hypex 26db buffer off or on - but you won't have the Buckeye buffer included in the case? A detailed description of what exactly the jumper does would be nice.

3. Could the OPA1612 OP degrade NCx500 measurements?

4. Will the NCx500 amp make a thumping noise in speakers on power on/off without the Buckeye buffer?

Thank you!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For most home use cases, amplification is now a solved problem. It can be difficult since there are now two nearly identical solutions to the problem :) - but it's still a great position to be in!

EDIT: Just looked at @Buckeye Amps ' web site, which I hadn't checked out in a while. $1,025 shipped for a 2-channel Purifi or Hypex NCx amp is just astounding.

Last edited:

Beast76

Is there going to be any audible difference between an NC502 and a Purifi? Or, if you need more power, is the NC502 going to be a better choice since the power advantage is more likely to be audible than the SINAD difference?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is there going to be any audible difference between an NC502 and a Purifi? Or, if you need more power, is the NC502 going to be a better choice since the power advantage is more likely to be audible than the SINAD difference?
If power is the premium in your setup, the NC502 would get the nudge from me. Or have both with the new NCx series ;)

Top Bottom