• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Am I understanding that the problem was the material in the tab, nut and quick connectors at binding post???

If this is the case, does the problem exist for people who chose the SpeakOn option?
That was stated earlier: no. ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Am I understanding that the problem was the material in the tab, nut and quick connectors at binding post???
The original quick connectors are not affected (they were always non magnetic). The only reason they need replacing is to fit the new size of the new tabs.

Futility

Forum Donor
The only reason [quick connectors] need replacing is to fit the new size of the new tabs.

I suspected that much. Repair would be much easier if new tabs fit.

a) Couldn't source new brass tabs in matching size?
b) Discovered they were not a match after having ordered them?
c) Had to order these specific tabs to assure they are non-ferrous to solve the original broblem?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I suspected that much. Repair would be much easier if new tabs fit.

a) Couldn't source new brass tabs in matching size?
b) Discovered they were not a match after having ordered them?
c) Had to order these specific tabs to assure they are non-ferrous to solve the original broblem?
A)

There is a brass tab size that fits the current quick connects (same brand and series as the ones I am now using, just smaller size) but they are out of stock everywhere in the US.

amper42

Major Contributor
Any idea when the ASR review might be updated for Buckeye Purifi measurements?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only @amirm knows at this point. He did mention that he is under pressure for more time sensitive reviews.

I tested and posted results here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...plifier-performance.38701/page-3#post-1499591

Shortly thereafter, it shipped to Amir.:cool:

While I understand that Rick's test setup does not have the same level of resolution as Amir's - is that correct, Rick? - the before and after results with ferrous vs non-ferrous tabs seem pretty clear-cut. I will be very surprised if Amir's tests show significantly different results than Rick's for this type of thing.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I understand that Rick's test setup does not have the same level of resolution as Amir's - is that correct, Rick? - it the before and after results with ferrous vs non-ferrous tabs seem pretty clear cut. I will be very surprised if Amir's tests show significantly different results than Rick's for this type of thing.

Yes, I posted my measurements as the difference is very clear and correlates well to Amir’s review. Will not be offended if anyone waits on Amir, but thought my post would help reassure existing customers and those who rather order sooner.:)

amper42

Major Contributor
Only @amirm knows at this point. He did mention that he is under pressure for more time sensitive reviews.

I tested and posted results here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...plifier-performance.38701/page-3#post-1499591

Shortly thereafter, it shipped to Amir.:cool:

Yes, I can see how the JPS $1,000 USB cable and $800 XLR cable reviews might take a front seat to the Buckeye Purifi amp measurement update. I needed something to rate as a total waste of money. :p

EdW

Yes, I can see how the JPS $1,000 USB cable and $800 XLR cable reviews might take a front seat to the Buckeye Purifi amp measurement update. I needed something to rate as a total waste of money. :p
The contrast in value for money couldn’t be more stark! Congratulations to Dylan in analysing and fixing such a subtle defect. Surely this range of amplifiers should be considered by anyone in N America investing in top notch amplification.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The member who bought the cables can get his money refunded and afford to buy a nice Buckeye Amp instead!

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I found out there are even "audiophile" grade fuses. Someone reached out to me asking for the fuse size I use as they wanted to replace with an audio grade fuse (which was I think around $50-70). For a simple 5x20mm fuse. And that was, as they said, on the cheaper/budget side.

Then I went down a rabbit hole and found there are fuses in the hundreds and thousands. And the reviews for them are....interesting. Like cable reviews but even more baffling.

So, if anyone wants Amir to test a Buckeye Amp with a $100 fuse...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I found out there are even "audiophile" grade fuses. Someone reached out to me asking for the fuse size I use as they wanted to replace with an audio grade fuse (which was I think around $50-70). For a simple 5x20mm fuse. And that was, as they said, on the cheaper/budget side.

Then I went down a rabbit hole and found there are fuses in the hundreds and thousands. And the reviews for them are....interesting. Like cable reviews but even more baffling.

Rotf!
All these items crack me up. I’ve seen not just audiophile wall outlets, but special cover plates, too! Guess it doesn’t matter about the standard old Romex in the wall…
Unless it does and they run new audiophile grade cable to an audiophile grade Service Panel!!!
Yup. They exist. And you can pay to have a dedicated power line installed to your home…

I wonder about those pesky meters, though. We may have to send those to Amir for testing and see how clean the signal is.
:rolleyes:

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Rotf!
All these items crack me up. I’ve seen not just audiophile wall outlets, but special cover plates, too! Guess it doesn’t matter about the standard old Romex in the wall…
Unless it does and they run new audiophile grade cable to an audiophile grade Service Panel!!!
Yup. They exist. And you can pay to have a dedicated power line installed to your home…

I wonder about those pesky meters, though. We may have to send those to Amir for testing and see how clean the signal is.
:rolleyes:
I have tried swaying people away from the unnecessary even before being an audio business owner. But the confirmation bias of spending 100x as much on something as simple as a fuse will usually win out over objective reasoning/reviews.

Wait.... you mean to tell me Buckeye doesn't employ audiophile-grade fuses? Sure, my system has never sounded this good, but this I cannot abide. Please issue an RMA. I'm going back to Emotiva.

In all seriousness, I am blown away by what this little box has done for my system. I didn't know what to expect, but it actually managed to surprise me. The Buckeye replaced an XPA-5 that was 10x larger/heavier, more expensive, and didn't sound as good (IMHO). No doubt, the Emotiva offered a significant improvement over zero external amplification, but this took things to "I didn't know it could sound this good" level. I bought this mainly for home theater use and I cannot stop listening to music!

I am grateful to ASR for preaching the importance of measurements, and to Dylan for making SOTA technology available at a price point more people can afford. Now I just need the neighbors to move out.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Call for help:

I am need of a Graphics/UI Designer for a new product I am working on. Should be easy work.

As I am trying to keep the product somewhat under wraps, really only looking for established members to respond.

Please PM me here if interested.

Top Bottom