• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

Sound of Music

I am new to the forum, although I have been lurking in the background for about a year and it seems like I have enough exposure and confusion to now join so as to ask some newby type questions. I hope that I am not in the wrong forum, however, the issue of power supplies for the Purifi 7040 came up here so this is where I will start, unless someone tells me where to go (wouldn't be the first time;) . I am more mechanical than electronic in my conjurings of things and I note that the Hypex power supply being used by most was never designed to drive the newest Purifi 7040. It also does not have "power correction". March Audio is purported to be using a Micro Audio power supply which gives a more spec'd voltage and has this power correction. Audiophonics offers the Connex brand. Who are these companies and do they build their own and can they back up their products. It would seem using common sense but possibly not common knowledge that a power correction might promote longevity. Does this power correction and the increased voltage matter in final sound? I am looking to replace an old Rotel Class D 100W/ch based on ICE technology from 2009. I love the sound but I am missing noticeably some base. I really like Dylan's offerings and just don't want to be upgrading in two years when the world moves to an upgraded PS. Any help here would be most welcome.

Keened

Forum Donor
Who are these companies and do they build their own and can they back up their products. It would seem using common sense but possibly not common knowledge that a power correction might promote longevity. Does this power correction and the increased voltage matter in final sound?

I can't speak for Connex but I know MicroAudio appears to build their own (they're a member on the site and they have a website you can go to). Power correction might make a difference if you have exceedingly low impedance dips (since it can provide some instantaneous additional current from the capcitors) but it shouldn't affect the output voltage from what I understand, it just makes the thermal efficiency/losses better by not being forced to draw extra current from the outlet. The extra voltage compared to the standard Hypex comes from the power rail levels that are offered, they could build one to a similar spec and just haven't.

Less heat does tend to equate to longer electronics life but I'm not sure if it's a significant factor in MTBF for any of the parts used. For 99% of people the extra voltage (and thus overall power potential) is going to make 0 difference. Unless you have unusually inefficient or monstrously large SPL requirements (PA systems, etc), in which case please provide more information on the usage case.

The missing bass may be a power limitation of your current amps, but you'd be better off buying powered subwoofers and integrating them into the system than pumping more power into towers.

GeorgeBynum

Power correction ...
Is this what we in the industrial world call "power factor correction"? If so, it is accomplished by "active front end" AC to DC converters. It is apparently now well understood (not by me, sorry) technology and minimizes transient loading of the line(s). @Buckeye Amps , are you aware of this, and what power supply providers use it? My experience is with VFD / VSD inverter drives.

Livewire

Those MicroAudio power supplies look very nice, and possibly a better match for Purifi than the one from Hypex.

JohnnyNG

I know of several people using the Okto dac 8 with a 10V output paired with purifi amps, bypassing the buffer. Can't imagine a 3 way switch is materially more expensive than a 2 way....Would give more flexibility.
I know this ship has sailed but would have liked the bypass option for my Topping Pre90. The Audiophonics 400ET mono has bypass but uses SMPS600A400 and I love that the Buckeye uses the 1200.

Keened

Forum Donor
Is this what we in the industrial world call "power factor correction"? If so, it is accomplished by "active front end" AC to DC converters.
At least that's what I thought they were referring to. In the industrial world you also have direct access to three phase AC so there might be additional tricks or methods that make more sense when you're not locked to a single waveform.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 3 channel Purifi arrived last night. Sounds great and love the auto sensing and 3 gain selection.

Attachments

• 20221004_191224.jpg
    20221004_191224.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 798
  • 20221004_191241.jpg
    20221004_191241.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 803

Desertpilot

Hello everyone,

On another message forum, I was encouraged to check out Buckeye Amplifiers, since I've been shopping around for a three channel amplifier. I've read through this thread and I am very encouraged to buy the Buckeye three channel amplifier. The only issue seems to be the power supply. Is one provided with the amplifier?

My situation:
-- I listen to high rez (typically DXD 24/352.8 or DSD 64 up to 256) multichannel surround classical music.
-- Music is on a dedicated music server, JRiver Media Center music player, USB to my DAC
-- ExaSound S88 multichannel DAC which goes direct via XLR to my Amplifier
-- Parasound Halo A52+ amplifier driving 5 speakers
-- Front three speakers are Spatial Audio Lab X3 (8 Ohm - 97 dB sensitivity)
-- Rear surround speakers are two SVS Ultra Bookshelves (4 Ohm - 87 dB sensitivity)

I also use my system for home theater. I have two side surround speakers (SVS Ultra Surround) which are currently unused because I don't have enough amplifiers. So, my intention is to use the Buckeye amp for my front three speakers and my current Parasound amp for both the two rear and two side surrounds. I'll be on the lookout for user impressions of the Buckeye amplifier and possibly Amir's review.

Thanks!
Marcus (Las Vegas, NV)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

On another message forum, I was encouraged to check out Buckeye Amplifiers, since I've been shopping around for a three channel amplifier. I've read through this thread and I am very encouraged to buy the Buckeye three channel amplifier. The only issue seems to be the power supply. Is one provided with the amplifier?

My situation:
-- I listen to high rez (typically DXD 24/352.8 or DSD 64 up to 256) multichannel surround classical music.
-- Music is on a dedicated music server, JRiver Media Center music player, USB to my DAC
-- ExaSound S88 multichannel DAC which goes direct via XLR to my Amplifier
-- Parasound Halo A52+ amplifier driving 5 speakers
-- Front three speakers are Spatial Audio Lab X3 (8 Ohm - 97 dB sensitivity)
-- Rear surround speakers are two SVS Ultra Bookshelves (4 Ohm - 87 dB sensitivity)

I also use my system for home theater. I have two side surround speakers (SVS Ultra Surround) which are currently unused because I don't have enough amplifiers. So, my intention is to use the Buckeye amp for my front three speakers and my current Parasound amp for both the two rear and two side surrounds. I'll be on the lookout for user impressions of the Buckeye amplifier and possibly Amir's review.

Thanks!
Marcus (Las Vegas, NV)

Welcome to ASR.
The left board is the power supply feeding the 3 identical amp modules on the right.

3ch.jpg

But if I may suggest, get an 8 channel amp for all your speakers and sell the Parasound? I suggest a custom 2 x NC502MP + 2 x NC252MP = 4 x 500W + 4 x 250W in 4 ohms, would cost around 2k usd.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
20221007_220942.jpg

Buckeye 3 ch Purifi on the L and Buckeye 2 ch NC252MP on the R.
Kinda dark but the 2 blue LEDs are visible.

Mowz

Wow very nice. Something like that would look great with the black and gold ls50 metas.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Thoughts on making smaller cased mono blocks with 1ET400A and Hypex SMPS600N400? Not sure what the demand for that would be.. but I'd definitely be interested!

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally got all 3 amps hooked up-5 channels of Purifi 1ET400A amplification and 2 channels of NC252MP.

Attachments

• 20221016_111523.jpg
    20221016_111523.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 153
Top Bottom