• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
2ch final version build (going out this week for final testing). Obviously it's missing the speaker wires and posts, and power input but wanted to show pictures of the main build layout :)

Attachments

• 20220521_152646.jpg
    20220521_152646.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 937
  • 20220521_152704.jpg
    20220521_152704.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 928
  • 20220521_152723.jpg
    20220521_152723.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 921
  • 20220521_152733.jpg
    20220521_152733.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 941

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2ch final version build (going out this week for final testing). Obviously it's missing the speaker wires and posts, and power input but wanted to show pictures of the main build layout :)

Would it be beneficial to have some sort of screen or shield between the modules and the PS?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would it be beneficial to have some sort of screen or shield between the modules and the PS?
I'm not sure....when you look at other builds (especially larger channel builds), the PSU is not separated by anything.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Does this milestone mean we can start annoying you with "1ET9040BA when?" :)

SCG

2ch final version build going out this week for final testing.
looking good, any ETA on results from final testing, and presuming testing shows no harm done (vs Arim's Purifi testing) any ETA on ship date to customers?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
looking good, any ETA on results from final testing, and presuming testing shows no harm done (vs Arim's Purifi testing) any ETA on ship date to customers?
I will have results of the final testing next week.
Customer orders will be filled towards the end of June.

Atmosphered

I will have results of the final testing next week.
Customer orders will be filled towards the end of June.
So, is the testing process a five stage event?

1) Send initial Beta to your tester.
2) Troubleshoot and fix any anomalies.
3) Send new revised version of Beta to Amir for a thorough secondary analysis.
4) Troubleshoot and fix any anomalies that remain using Amir's recommendations.
5) Start mass production.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So, is the testing process a five stage event?

1) Send initial Beta to your tester.
2) Troubleshoot and fix any anomalies.
3) Send new revised version of Beta to Amir for a thorough secondary analysis.
4) Troubleshoot and fix any anomalies that remain using Amir's recommendations.
5) Start mass production.
"Mass production" of the boards will begin before sending a unit to Amir.

Atmosphered

"Mass production" of the boards will begin before sending a unit to Amir.
I guess to be more specific with my use of the term "mass production," I mean the completed, assembled amps to paying customers.

Furthermore, sending the revised assembled prototype amplifier to Amir for a second phase of testing and then fixing any flaws shown that could hamper quality or performance before assembling the amps en masse to fulfill orders.

I'm asking because it might save time and headaches later on if you sent an amp product to Amir for testing that had not been put out in the wild first, if you haven't actually gone this route. Then maybe Amir comes back with a public review that causes the need for a further revision to amps already in customers' hands. Time, money, and other problems that might have been avoided otherwise.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
appreciate the nice clean layout. Including the lack of paint at the ground and under the Purifi boards for grounding.

goryu

hypex coming out with their Nilai500 kit has really jammed me up. Was planning to order two of these stereo purifi's, now not so sure...will wait to see more about the new Hypex I guess...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I guess to be more specific with my use of the term "mass production," I mean the completed, assembled amps to paying customers.

Furthermore, sending the revised assembled prototype amplifier to Amir for a second phase of testing and then fixing any flaws shown that could hamper quality or performance before assembling the amps en masse to fulfill orders.

I'm asking because it might save time and headaches later on if you sent an amp product to Amir for testing that had not been put out in the wild first, if you haven't actually gone this route. Then maybe Amir comes back with a public review that causes the need for a further revision to amps already in customers' hands. Time, money, and other problems that might have been avoided otherwise.
Oh I understand. However the testing I am having done next week is akin to what Amir does, just not on a public/in depth review level. If my design has any major issues or performance shortcomings, I'll know about it

bkdc

Forum Donor
hypex coming out with their Nilai500 kit has really jammed me up. Was planning to order two of these stereo purifi's, now not so sure...will wait to see more about the new Hypex I guess...
Inaudible differences. And almost insignificant difference in power output. At this point I care more about idle power consumption. the Purifi wins (again almost insignificant) but I don’t know about the new power supply idle spec. I like the auto-trigger-on option from Buckeye but the new Hypex has a standby power module too. Does the Nilai handle 2 ohm loads?

Last edited:

Atmosphered

Oh I understand. However the testing I am having done next week is akin to what Amir does, just not on a public/in depth review level. If my design has any major issues or performance shortcomings, I'll know about it
As long as the new Purifi builds are being thoroughly run through their paces before manufacturing starts in earnest then I'm satisfied. :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Inaudible differences. And almost insignificant difference in power output. At this point I care more about idle power consumption. the Purifi wins (again almost insignificant) but I don’t know about the new power supply idle spec. I like the auto-trigger-on option from Buckeye but the new Hypex has a standby power module too. Does the Nilai handle 2 ohm loads?

Depending on where you live, add more expensive (both kit cost AND shipping) and you still have to build it yourself...

From what I was told, first Hypex's full production is "months out". Along with the added Buckeye features, seems a no-brainer to me. Also worth considering that his Hypex NC502MP is $749 and is way better price/performance than his (and most other) Purifi amps. :)

goryu

and you still have to build it yourself...

I consider that a plus, actually, especially considering I need a 4 channel amp so it may be cheaper actually considering I won't need to pay for 2 cases, etc.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I consider that a plus, actually, especially considering I need a 4 channel amp so it may be cheaper actually considering I won't need to pay for 2 cases, etc.

Maybe, but suggest you do some math and then share.

I sell custom Hypex/Purifi amps. Buying a single case is a major expense and (nicer ones) can have major lead times currently. Unless you can readily cut holes for connectors and switches, need to add fabrication costs too. YMMV but DIY may actually be more expensive. :oops:

Last edited:
Top Bottom