• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

tlin

The Rule: If it sounds distorted or you hear mechanical noises not in the music, turn it down!

Rick "who has played Advents--rated for 100 watts or less--using amps ranging from 40 wpc to 200 wpc with no damage" Denney

Is that a Rule or Common Sense? :):):)

@Walter, @Doodski, @Buckeye Amps and @rdenney - I appreciate the quick feedback. I've never purchased a separate amp before and have only ever run my older AVR to power my speakers. Thanks!!!!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's common sense, my wife and teenage sons are lacking in it.
Which is why you have to have rules. :)

Rick "if common sense was common, we wouldn't need to qualify it with the word 'common'" Denney

diablo900t

I've had my 8ch Buckeye amp for about a month now and thought it was time to post my impressions :)

I'm coming from a Yamaha A3070 that I was running my front stage with an OSD Nero A5180. My speakers are JBL HDI 3800s, 4500 and 1600 surrounds. Side note: the 8 ch case was larger than I expected, I should have measured beforehand but was able to get a tray afterwards to fit it in my rack.

Since my Yamaha does not have XLR preouts I had to use RCA to XLR cables. The first thing I noticed was that the trim levels needed to be adjusted higher for the Buckeye Amp (this is not a negative, just an observation and probably due to the RCA preouts).

The other immediate observation...literally ZERO noise floor. The OSD amp had a slight hiss I could hear if I increased the volume level and had nothing playing, but only if I was close to a speaker.

This is a stark contrast from my old Crown XLS1002 which has noise and buzz I could hear at my MLP. I was afraid of a class D amp based on that experience but this thing is dead silent.

It wasn't until I played the race scene from Ready Player One that I noticed the significantly better sound quality and clarity. With my prior setup, the sound effects in the background were loud but lacking clarity, I didn't notice it until I had the Buckeye amp but everything was more clear and clean whereas before it was more loud and I guess I'd categorize as "muddled". This probably speaks to the large amount of wattage I now have in reserve from the buckeye amp in combination with fairly sensitive speakers about 9-10 feet away from MLP.

Effortless is the best way I'd describe this amp. I don't think I've even come close to pushing this thing.

All in all, totally worth the cost of admission. I still have the OSD amp that I may temporarily use to run my height channels, but most likely will pickup another 6 or 8 channel Buckeye amp in the future after I get a 16 channel processor. I've run this thing all day long during football Sundays and it only gets warm to the touch.

Dylan was also extremely easy and communicative to work with throughout the process when I ran into some questions.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had my 8ch Buckeye amp for about a month now and thought it was time to post my impressions :)

Which modules did you go with, all 502, or a mix?

Sluraad

thegeton

Forum Donor
Our Media Room is a non-partitioned space in our loft: 3 walls and a high ceiling, with the "missing 4th wall" open to the rest of the loft. I've been running a 5.1 system in there because its more than enough to fill that area with immersive sound. However... I'm going to upgrade the AVR and amplification. I want to obtain a Buckeye 6 channel amp with 4 channels of 502 and 2 channels of 252. It will leave me with a "spare 502 channel" but I have some ideas for that. Can't wait...

Jdunk54nl

Probably a crazy time of year with a semester coming to a close (for his phd) and his backlog til March now!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How long does it take to get a reply from Dylon? I sent him an email on Sunday.
Apologies. All of the emails I have yet to respond to are from today. Can you try sending again or PM me on here? It might have went to Spam though I am not seeing it there either (but my Spam folder gets cleared often as I am getting over 60 spam emails lately, not sure why)

Jdunk54nl

Apologies. All of the emails I have yet to respond to are from today. Can you try sending again or PM me on here? It might have went to Spam though I am not seeing it there either (but my Spam folder gets cleared often as I am getting over 60 spam emails lately, not sure why)

I have also noticed a crazy uptick in spam recently. Use to get 1 or 2 a day, now like 40 every couple of hours

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen that degree of increase, but I too have noticed an uptick. Spammer and email providers' spam filters is always a cat-and-mouse thing, so perhaps spammers have recently started using a new technique and the filters are working to put stuff in the spam folder, but the total server-side blocking algorithms are still catching up?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I haven't seen that degree of increase, but I too have noticed an uptick. Spammer and email providers' spam filters is always a cat-and-mouse thing, so perhaps spammers have recently started using a new technique and the filters are working to put stuff in the spam folder, but the total server-side blocking algorithms are still catching up?
There was one period over the summer when legit emails from customers were going to Spam, so I have gotten into the habit of skimming my Spam folder more judiciously (though it has not been an issue in that regard lately)

Top Bottom